PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O.K We were going to spend a third for a ready WR. What is out there now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
BB had a plan. Let's keep it to a third rounder and see if there is a NFL ready guy out there.

Sanders was O.K. but his opinion "let's not go crazy". BB is a realist and knows that a WR in this system is tricky but a rookie has a disadvantage and probably a three year window. Thus a poor result in WR Drafting.

The average wonderlic score for a WR in the NFL is 17. Percy Harvin had a 12, Crabtree had a 15 and Harkeem Nicks had an 11. Sanders had an 18 Wonderlic.

There is a guy out there with the ability to be Moss if he wants to be. He is not stupid but has been with the stupid crowd. He is a knucklehead and immature but a superb talent. Kenny Britt had a wonderlic of 21!!! O.K. Not Mensa but he is not a dolt. Same as Brian Cushing wonderlic. The Titans have had a tough time with him. He is on his last year of his rookie contract. They will not resign the kid for 2014.

Think The Titans take the third we offer in 2013 now, or "MAYBE" get a third in comp in 2014?

Someone BB would think of? Moss thought the world of the kid's talent and we know that one knucklehead to another in Britt, BB still had respect for Moss. Moss and former teammate Ray Rice think Britt can be elite but he has worn out his welcome with the Titans. They have too many other issues than to spend time on Britt. BB on the other hand might see a diamond in the rough.

I think third gets it done. I see him in a new environment and more in passing plans versus a CJ run type team.

Would I take Britt over Sanders? Yep!!!!

Thoughts?

I also would go Danario Alexander. I would go both or one and a Draft pick to let him learn. Injuries? They took Branch back for Seattle with many injuries on his resume.

Would I take Alexander over Sanders? Yep

I think K.C. would give up Jon Baldwin for a third. He has #1 WR potential but never had the right passing game there. He is a diva but RAC has the 411 on him. Outside speed and size.

I think the Seahawks give up Golden Tate for a third. They are paying Rice almost $9m and Harvin in the same area. They are going to see the time. A third for Tate? Maybe.

Lesser picks I would not mind having Riley Cooper form the Eagles. They are loaded at WR. He is big, fast, young can jup and has strong hands. He will go over the middle and he blocks.

Thoughts?

DW Toys

Plan A being Sanders.

Plan B could go a number of ways. It could just be the next best available FA which I guess would be Lloyd. It could be the draft with an equal investment a 3rd pick.

Or what I think we all hope is that plan B might be more expensive but could also be a better player and was plan B because of the expense. This could mean a trade for a Vet or it could mean a higher draft pick or even trading up in the draft to make sure we have a good WR group.

I think one interesting sidebar to the offer on Sanders is the whole league now has a measuring stick of what we would be willing to give up and for what. If some team has a decent but still not fully proven prospect that very well could get a 3 from us if that interested them.

I like the Britt idea, but also am now looking for the draft:

Courtney Gardner has been making some waves even on this forum as a 6/7 round pick. Thoughts?

Britt is not coming to the Pats. Danario Alexander for a 2nd round pick? Are you insane? Hell no.

Lloyd and Stallworth would be safe assumptions. And/or in the draft, udfa signings and free agency.

Andre Holmes...

Britt is not coming to the Pats. Danario Alexander for a 2nd round pick? Are you insane? Hell no.

Lloyd and Stallworth would be safe assumptions. And/or in the draft, udfa signings and free agency.

Why would it take a 2nd round pick, for Alexander?

He was designated original tender. He was an UDFA which means no draft pick comp. If he signs with another team.

I read today the Browns are considering making him an offer.

They should look to draft one or two Wide Receivers. That's how success is built: Through the draft, not through big spending in Free Agency.

I don't care if the team has a bad record with drafting the position, they can't use that as an excuse. They need to draft and develop a wide receiver sooner or later.

Who would give a 2nd for Alexander. No one.
I think you misunderstood.
DW Toys

They should look to draft one or two Wide Receivers. That's how success is built: Through the draft, not through big spending in Free Agency.

I don't care if the team has a bad record with drafting the position, they can't use that as an excuse. They need to draft and develop a wide receiver sooner or later.

Andre Holmes...

And/or in the draft, udfa signings and free agency.

Probably all of these...

It's difficult to try and project other guys, (although DW Toys did a good job of thinking of some fair priced/compensation players in my opinion) because Belichick doesn't want to pay too much, especially not for someone who has yet to play in our system. Therefore a lot of guys that we'd be happy with for 3rd rounders like Jeremy Maclin etc are going to be crossed off the list immediately.

We'll have to look to the draft for probably 2 separate choices in rounds 1-7. On top of that, they'll try and bring in an experienced guy somewhere along the lines and I'm sure Holmes may have more of a chance to show something in mini's and TC this year since they don't know much about him.

Agreed, for the most part. Britt to the Pats = no way. Alexander can be signed for no compensation, so even floating the possibility of trading a pick for him is ridiculous.

I fully expect to see Stallworth signed as well.

I dunno about that. You win through the draft, yes, but FA plays a huge role, too. Not the splashy, day-one signings, but the under-the-radar guys and other teams' cuts.

Think Rodney, Vrabel, Washington, Colvin (admittedly he was fairly high-profile), etc. Guys like that. Winning teams build through the draft, but then they supplement that by hitting on FA signings. Look at what Jacoby Jones did for the Ravens. Pats could have signed him.

Who would give a 2nd for Alexander. No one.
I think you misunderstood.
DW Toys

Oops. I thought that SD tendered a 2nd.

His knee is healthy though, so, go fo it. :rolleyes:

Still not worth signing him with however many surgeries that he had in the past imo.

Yeah, he is talented other than that though. I understand why you like his talent. Injuries are a killer though.

Alexander's 'injury' problems are real. He's had his knee operated on half a dozen times. Amendola and Edelman might get the injury-prone labels but their injuries have all been incidental rather than recurring. Alexander's knee is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. For the fourth time.

I dunno about that. You win through the draft, yes, but FA plays a huge role, too. Not the splashy, day-one signings, but the under-the-radar guys and other teams' cuts.

Think Rodney, Vrabel, Washington, Colvin (admittedly he was fairly high-profile), etc. Guys like that. Winning teams build through the draft, but then they supplement that by hitting on FA signings. Look at what Jacoby Jones did for the Ravens. Pats could have signed him.

I'd generally agree that mid to lower tiered FA moves can often help to add a couple/few pieces to any team, but the problem this year was that we pretty much all agreed that there weren't many viable candidates out there at WR before FA even started.

Other than maybe Brandon Gibson, and I honestly can't remember if MIA overpaid or not--but I assume they probably did, there really weren't any decent options. Even someone like Gibson is stretching it a bit, and I honestly don't even know if he could fit into this system or too much about him. I do think that he would have been an upgrade to Jones of course, but that's where the money becomes important.

The main problem is that many are concerned with the loss of Welker and they don't seem to trust that Amendola/Edelman can take over his production enough to stop their concerns. This will likely continue into the regular season when the time comes to prove the point that it was either an okay move to make, or a dreadful decision. Unfortunately that doesn't happen for awhile yet.

I fully expect to see Stallworth signed as well.

See, I don't really get too concerned until I start to realize that moves like this will be made. To be honest, I'd actually feel much better if they just continued to bring in other players who may upgrade and improve the depth altogether. I don't think that Stallworth has too much to offer on a consistent basis, despite the argument and "pro" that he already knows the offense.

I'm sure you're probably right. He'll likely be brought in at least for camp fodder. In a worst case scenario he can compete for reps at WR4 or WR5.

I like the thought of Britt running down 40 yd bombs from TB. I also appreciate the creativity of trying to decide what else that 3rd round currency could buy in the WR market. I kind of doubt Britt will end up happening, in the end.

My hopes for the WR situation: beyond drafting a guy or three to get our hopes up about who winds up on the practice squad or out of football soon thereafter, is that the Patriots' patience with respect to the cap plays out beneficially and they are in prime position to take advantage of June cuts.

Please correct me if the new CBA has turned the whole June roster adjustment period into another date/time on the calendar. My basic point is that it doesn't quite feel like we're done seeing veteran players get cut before training camp 2013 starts up.

The guy from Tenn i want is Nate Washington. Britt just has too many legal issues for me and has already been suspended by the league.

Washington is being paid too much for the 2013 market, about 10mill over the next two seasons. And is out of favor with the coaching staff. If he would be amendable to a trade deal at less money rather than get cut after the draft/during camp I think he would be a good fit.

I like the Britt idea, but also am now looking for the draft:

Courtney Gardner has been making some waves even on this forum as a 6/7 round pick. Thoughts?

There's limited video on Gardner, but what there is shows some genuine potential. We're talking about a 6.3, stockily built guy who runs a 4.38. He is a potential #1 guy. What I've seen of him suggests a cross between Cordarelle Patterson and Da'rick Rogers. He's also one of the best blocking WR's I've seen (again limited footage). But he is a JUCO guy, not a transfer, and the suggestion is that he's not the smartest guy around so I think he faces an uphill road to the NFL. Nor unfortunately, is he a secret - he's had plenty of visits with NFL teams so he'll probably have to be drafted.

I'd love him as a high upside pick whilst understanding that we'll need plenty of insurance at the position because his likeliness to be a bust is high. Ultimately I think another team will draft him before us, if we even have him on our board. We have given him a workout however so....

The guy from Tenn i want is Nate Washington. Britt just has too many legal issues for me and has already been suspended by the league.

Washington is being paid too much for the 2013 market, about 10mill over the next two seasons. And is out of favor with the coaching staff. If he would be amendable to a trade deal at less money rather than get cut after the draft/during camp I think he would be a good fit.

Nate Washington is what I would consider a lateral move, but better than no move. He is also not the fastest WR out there. It's like Fly said, bringing in what I call "Bottom of the Barrel scrapers" to perhaps the most elite offense in the NFL is not fathonable. It has been said BB is thinking years from now instead of moments with every deal. He has to have a plan "B".

The only solace we have is the Moss deal that some very good looking poster was proposing for two years and scoffed upon by the poster mafia in this forum, worked out o.k. I guess. That was a Draft weekend deal. I think that if the other Titans WR Kenny Britt can be had who can be an elite WR talent but a troubling personality just like a Randy Moss (Britt ironically played with Moss and Randy vouched for his talent), I suspect BB had thought about this guy. Like I said, his wonderlic scores indicate he has sufficient intelligence to get this system. Brandon Lloyd had a wonderlic of 19 and Britt is at 21 as example. Britt is a knucklehead, but not stupid.

I think Jon Baldwin can be had from the Chiefs and he is about the same in knuckleheadness, although he is a darker personality I believe. We had one of those WR on or Team last year.
My point is yes take Washington who was developed by the Steelers..........but if you have to throw a pick we don't really have , gamble on the bigger prize.

I have beat this for years. Draft WR or any Draft talent take three years to develop their high point in the NFL. Every WR in this Draft has talent but a flaw of some sort. I believe Stedman Bailey is the cleanest WR to play right away but he is just a third round talent. Why go after a Hunter with alligator arms, Hopkins who is a little slow, Allen who had ..........knee problems.

If you can get Jeff Demps to realize his financial future is not in track and field, you have a Tavon Austin here already only faster, and oh by the way he can catch.

Right now today, I believe that Danario Alexander is the right piece to the puzzle if you can get a couple years out of him physically. The Chargers Doctors passed him so he has been through scrutiny.

Let me end this by saying that The first WR after DA that BB went after was Donald Jones. Why? He could have waited until the heard was thinned out to get this guy. Wait a minute......He runs a 4.46 40 and a 41" vertical. He's about 6'1" and 214 lbs. He's only 25 years old. Are we looking past him?

That slow Jenkins (4.46 40????) caught 40 passes for the Vikings from their plethora of mediocre QBs.

Maybe one more guy.
DW Toys

Can someone tell me the story on Jeremy Ebert? At his proday he ran sub 4.4 in the 40, his 3-cone drill was ridiculous, why doesn't anyone talk about him? His numbers look better to me than anyone we would get in the third round, and he has been in the Pats system for a year. What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes