Welcome to PatsFans.com

NYT: We'll shut down the Boston Globe in 30 days unless...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Apr 3, 2009.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

the latest notch in the death of democracy...

Times co. threatens to shut down Globe

Times co. threatens to shut down Globe - Daily Business Update - The Boston Globe

By Robert Gavin and Robert Weisman, Globe Staff

The New York Times Co. has threatened to shut the Boston Globe unless the newspaper's unions swiftly agree to $20 million in concessions, union leaders said.

Executives from the Times Co. and Globe made the demands Thursday morning in an approximately 90- minute meeting with leaders of the newspaper's 13 unions, union officials said. The possible concessions include pay cuts, the end of pension contributions by the company and the elimination of lifetime job guarantees now enjoyed by some veteran employees, said Daniel Totten, president of the Boston Newspaper Guild, the Globe's biggest union, which represents more than 700 editorial, advertising and business office employees.

The concessions will be negotiated individually with each of the unions, said Totten and Ralph Giallanella, secretary-treasurer of the Teamsters Local 259, which represents about 200 drivers who deliver the newspaper.

"We all know the newspaper industry is going through great transition and loss," said Giallanella. "The ad revenues have fallen off the cliff. Just based on everything that's going on around the country, they're serious."

2. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Union busting sucks. Anybody remember the hay-day of this country? I wasn't alive then but it's purported to be post WWII when unions were strongest and the middle class was wealthier than today's middle class.

Reaganomics is a ruse.

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i don't see the unions conceding 20 million... i just don't...

imagine this city with one newspaper? a Ruppert Murdoch-owned tabloid one, at that?

what a shame...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

As I already stated the ultra liberal media has already started swirling in the bowl.

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I agree it's a shame, but what choice does any company with falling revenues have? I've heard many people who have had to take pay cuts, one of my brother is just one example.

I doubt many companies are saying "This is great! Even though we're almost out of business, at least we get to bust the unions!" That's just a ridiculous notion. They'd probably just lay people off if they could but I'm guessing there wouldn't be enough drivers to deliver all the papers.

It is my opinion that there have been many unskilled jobs that have been over-paid for years. Take MBTA bus drivers for example. Many of them make $75,000/yr. Why do we pay them that much? Same as auto assembly workers making similar wages. Do they deserve to make that much? Based on a comparative college-educated position, I don't think so. Anyone can do those jobs.

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

Unions are swell. Just ask Detroit.

7. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Who needs newspapers anyway. In the next 20 years we will have information beemed directly into our heads.

8. Michael

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

You'll actually be able to feel the shiver up your own leg that Chris Matthews is feeling as Obama speaks.

9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

All kidding aside, the entire world has been experiencing the "shivering up the leg-syndrome" this week. It's amazing how popular OUR president is world-wide. It's a nice change...makes me proud to be an American.

10. Michael

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

:rofl: Keep telling yourself that. And watching the rose colored glasses liberal coverage of Obama.

11. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

EVERYBODY NOW!

And I'm proud to be an American
    Where at least I know I'm free!
    And I won't forget the men who died
    Who gave that right to me and I'll gladly stand-up
    Next to you and defend her still today
    There aint no doubt I love this land!
    God Bless the USA!

12. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Don't worry, Press. In a year or two the Washington Times will come in and buy up all the old Glob property, presses, etc., at pennies on the dollar; then we'll hire those 25% of solid core workers who like doing things the right way. Just as we did when the Washington Star folded back in the late 70s. :D You're gonna love it!! Democracy shall rise again!

Murdoch's work is only slightly better than the NYCrimes/Glob axis, but TWT will bring that breath of fresh air that Boston truly deserves!!! :singing:.....

Watch this space!!

:yeeha:

"... and the times, they are a-changin'....." :singing:

//

13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +711 / 20 / -30

And then Rev. Moon can pump 3.7 billion of his own money into this publication.. money he raises from his thousands of businesses.. and money he raises from the giving of old folks.. then it will be called a success. All under the guise of "reporting".. in reality it will just become another world net or newsmax, hysteria.. see Pelosi Mice.

What will happen to the sports section, Mike Reiss..

14. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, for a look at the future of the New "Boston Times", you can catch a glimpse here:

Washington Times - Politics, Breaking News, US and World News

Good stuff. No specific religion promoted. "God is great, God is good, and we thank Him for our food. By His hands we must be fed; give us, Lord, our daily bread." -- prayer I learned in public school in Needham, Mass. c. 1957

//

15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Its a fine newspaper, or was anyway. Even though the writing is still top notch if the management can't find a way to compete and at least break even in the current environment then it has to go away.

It would be a small consolation if daddy moon pumped billions into whatever was left in a vain attempt to get people around here to read his drivel. I'm always happy when evil people lose stuff.

The Herald's screwed too come to think of it. Disgraced Globe writers, like Mike Barnacle, Patricia Smith and Belichick's pal, have been the Herald's number 1 source of new talent for years now.

16. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

".... drivel..."!!! .... :wha:.... Where you from? Pyongyang???

This is excellent content: Washington Times - Politics, Breaking News, US and World News .... None finer, on or off the air.

Don't forget what Gracie Slick said: ".... feed your head....... feed your head.... "

Peace.

:singing:

//

17. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

Gee I thought the Sulzbergers loved the unions... I guess the Union guys will have to decide if they want jobs or not.

18. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The Sulzbergers love the unions as long as those unions don't ask anything from the Sulzbergers (!!!!). ...........:eek:

//

19. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Perhaps more advertising dollars would be their if they were not so quick to publish fake stories of American soldiers raping Iraqi women?

20. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Ouch!!

Sounds very plausible.

//