Welcome to PatsFans.com

NYT: Secret U.S. Bush/Gonzales Endorsement Revealed for Severe Torture Tactics

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Oct 4, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

WASHINGTON, Oct. 3 — When the Justice Department publicly declared torture “abhorrent” in a legal opinion in December 2004, the Bush administration appeared to have abandoned its assertion of nearly unlimited presidential authority to order brutal interrogations.

But soon after Alberto R. Gonzales’s arrival as attorney general in February 2005, the Justice Department issued another opinion, this one in secret. It was a very different document, according to officials briefed on it, an expansive endorsement of the harshest interrogation techniques ever used by the Central Intelligence Agency.

The new opinion, the officials said, for the first time provided explicit authorization to barrage terror suspects with a combination of painful physical and psychological tactics, including head-slapping, simulated drowning and frigid temperatures.

The classified opinions, never previously disclosed, are a hidden legacy of President Bush’s second term and Mr. Gonzales’s tenure at the Justice Department, where he moved quickly to align it with the White House after a 2004 rebellion by staff lawyers that had thrown policies on surveillance and detention into turmoil.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/washington/04interrogate.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So what's the problem..?
  3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I guess there's no problem among loonies who make casual comments about nuking countries, for using torture and secret prison camps, for support pre-emptive non-ending war, for thinking the destruction of privacy and legal rights is necessary, who condone the destruction of the separation of powers, and still think they believe in American values.
  4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Personal attacks will not be tolerated in this forum. At least that's what the liberal moderator keeps telling me... but I dunno, mavvy... you and PC make it awfully hard for him to maintain his hypocrisy....
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

seeing a pattern whereby Star Wars Geek feigns indignance while deflecting from the fact that he has nothing really to say about the issues at hand... and, of course, ignoring the fact that he himself routinely calls other posters retards, suggests copulation with other posters' mothers, and on and on and on and on and on and on and on....

thanks for playing... we have some lovely white flags for you backstage...
  6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ah, yes... more "civility" from PC... the guy who accuses everyone else of not being civil, while he dishes out nonsense that is 10 times worse than anything I have ever done.

Patters, could you please lock this thread..? Clearly it has gotten out of hand. Personal attacks in this forum are not tolerated. Unless, of course, you let liberals get away with the things you censor and ban me for, and lock my threads over... hmmmmm......