Welcome to PatsFans.com

NYT played the McCain card to take the heat of of Obama !

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Feb 23, 2008.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

I honestly believe that the NYT has been sitting on this McCain story.
    I think that they planned on using it in a key point of the general election
    when it could hurt McCain the most.

I think they played it this week to take the heat of of Michelle Obama
    statment that she is proud of America for the first time in her adult life.

They did not want to give Hillary any chance to steal the elextion for
    their diversity poster boy.

It worked like a charm. All CNN is talking about is the McCain story while
    th Michell Obama story got a free pass from the liberal media.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +664 / 2 / -9

---Exactly---

:bricks:
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Innnnnteresting......

[​IMG]
  4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You might win the insightful reader of the news award of the week here!!!

//
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

No, they put it out because other publications were going to beat them to the punch.

As far as Michelle Obama's comment, the right has been trying to distort it, but already made no headway except among themselves. It was a nonstory from the start because the right was trying to manipulate its meaning.

"What we have learned over this year is that hope is making a comeback. It is making a comeback and let me tell you something, For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment. I have seen people who are hungry to be unified around some basic common issues. "

She's exceptionally proud that a social movement seems to be rising. People are hungry for change. She's not talking to you. One rightie interprets her comment as meaning she hates white America, others interpret it as if being anything less than "really proud" is unpatriotic. Tell me, were you really proud of your country when the Clinton scandal was unfolding?

With or without the NYT article, the fuss over her comment would sink like a stone because the right's interpretation was ludicrous and dishonest.

Also, as a matter of political protocol, the weight of a First Lady's words are far less than the weight of the candidate himself.
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +664 / 2 / -9

It's a sad day in this country when a filthy raggy newspaper is allowed to have the power to destroy a candidate simply to further their own biased agenda and sway a presidential election in their favor.

Freedom of the press is one thing this Mccain Thing is disgusting, where is the proof that Mccain had this affair, why didn't "The Rag" print the evidence along with their "garbage journalism" why don't they print the Poof today, the National Enquirer has more credibility then those dirty "Times Bastards".

I wouldn't insult my Dog by putting the NY Times on floor for him to sh!t on.

I never cared for Mccain, in fact I don't like him at all, but I'm going to vote for him.

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Remember when the Manchester Union Leader derailed Muskie's campaign?

Oh, Harry, I knew before you that you were going to vote for McCain. You want to be in the game.
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I was proud as I could be that SOME members of Congress stood up to that fat, smirking, phony, lying slickster Clinton trying to scam his way one more time out of paying for his crimes!!! You better believe I was proud of THOSE AMERICANS who would NOT be scammed, intimidated, or "suckered" into buying the rotten load of manure that Billy Bubba Boy was peddling, thinking all of us are some STUPID MORONS!! What a gargantuan CHUMP Clinton is, to this day. Thinking he can scam all of America into buying his little lip-biting, "I feel your pain (as long as you're not Monica, Paula, Katherine Willy, or any of the other women I've screwed)" schtick.

So, yeah. Proud as can be.

//
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

You're answering the wrong question: Were you proud of America when Clinton was schtupping Monica Lewinsky in the oval office? Or, to make it easier, were you proud of America when the SC legalized abortion? Sure, there were Americans you were proud of, but that's a different point altogether.
  10. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

I have a feeling that Michelle Obama is going to become an issue in the general election.

Say what you want about republicans, they know how to take advantage
    of a weak link in a campaign.

They are going to paint Michelle Obama as a racist elite snob who thinks
    she is better than everyone. The will also get the point across that she is a women who hates white people.

True or False, she fits the mold.

I also think that if they goat her, she will bite and get herself in more trouble. She is a strong willed women who could get herself in a lot of trouble if she is challenged by the media.

Lucky for Michelle Obama, most of the media will be busy writing puff articles in which they will try to make her into the Mother Teresa of first ladies.
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Of course I felt a deep pain and shame when these two events you mention took place! Who wouldn't ??? You'd have to be heartless and spiritually dead to not feel shame at what Bill Clinton did and the Supreme Court green-lighting mass extermination as a means to remove "unwanted life" from "spoiling all the fun" of fornication.

//
  12. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

You forgot also that they did it to take the heat off of PUTIN ! :bricks:

McCain thinks Putin is the president of Germany
    http://www.fliggo.com/video/wELnzFHN

:singing:

I, for one, would not like a senile president.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

I think they'll have a hard time doing that. One of the strengths of McCain is that he has pretty good relations among Hispanics (thanks in part to his support of amnesty for illegals). If they want to capitalize on it, they have to be careful playing the race card. Hispanics suffer at least as much discrimination and prejudice as do blacks.

First ladies play little role in political discussion, though they are important for campaign events. We probably won't see much of her, and frankly I certainly don't think she'll come off as any worse than Cindy McCain (the spoiled millionairess and ex drug addict)

I think you're hoping she comes off badly, but throughout the grueling campaign, she has spoken often and I've only read of two or three controversial remarks, and each one was only controversial to the ears of Obama's opponents.
  14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My guess is that The Times may have held the story to not interfere with the Republicans selecting their guy. At this point there's plenty of time to get to the bottom of things and give people a chance to fit this in wherever it ends up belonging before the next President gets picked. It would have been sleazy to run this next October or back before McCain emerged as the favorite Republican unless they had rock solid backup.
  15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Relax. That's why POTUS has Advisors and Secretaries. They keep track of all the details.

:singing:

//
  16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +664 / 2 / -9

Michelle should have been proud of America way back when Black people were finally allowed to "ride up front" or when Black People were finally allowed to "use the same toilet as Whitey" Michelle should have been proud when a Black Man took a Fire Dept test, scored a 70 then "went ahead" of the Whitey who scored 100 and got the job and Whitey didn't, Michelle should have been proud of "Miss Black America" she should have been proud back when they started "The Black Caucus", she should have been proud back when the "Black Entertainment Cable Channel: was created, she should have been proud of America when they "Crucified Don Imus" she should have been proud of America when Don Imus went crawling on his belly to apologize to a dirty little Racist Black Con Man, she should have been VERY PROUD of America when they raised ML King to everlasting "Sainthood".

Michelle Should have been proud of America long before America started slobbering all over her Smooth Double Talking "Messiah" Husband.

Michelle should be proud just to live in America, but, if by a long shot her Princely Husband should lose, you will hear plenty from Mrs Obama.

17. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Ah, Harry, you've been around a long time, but Michelle Obama has only been around in 1964, and said that she's really proud for "first time in my adult lifetime." In other words, that means she hasn't been especially proud of the United States since the Reagan revolution began (and for the most part I agree with her).
  18. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't think they did it to cover up the Michelle Obama gaffe, but only a clueless moron doesn't realize that they supported him right up until the point where he secured the nomination (knocked out Romney) and then literally turned on him 2 weeks later.
  19. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Another left wing distortion... fact is what she said in the first speech was: "For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGjR81pFJI4

Ain't facts a b*tch, Patters...? Now what were you saying about distortions and spin..?
  20. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have always been proud to be an American. I have never in my life not been proud to be an American. Are we a perfect country..? No. Are our leaders perfect men and women..? No. Have we always and unfailingly done the right thing..? No.

But I have always been proud to be an American. Can you say the same...? No, I didn't think so.