Welcome to PatsFans.com

NYT MSM Stock Nosedives

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWickedPissah, Dec 23, 2005.

1. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +706 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

I know you dinosaur elitists here love to trash blogs and the new media, preferring to get your news from the liberal dominated archaian MSM, but looks like the Grey Lady is on sale at half price and droping these days...

http://americandigest.org/mt-archives/005932.php

"All the treason that's fit to print"

Not like you'd see THIS 'opinion poll' frontpaged on the NYT. Nah.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Before you arrange for the funeral, had read previously since the advent of the internet that many newspaper companies were struggling, you might find this article interesting as the decline of subscription is not indigineous to the NYT.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=azUs.08zurRQ&refer=news_index

Nov. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Shares of newspaper companies such as Knight Ridder Inc. and New York Times Co. are among the worst performers in the U.S. stock market this year, and it's no mystery why: Readers, and thus advertisers, are shifting to the Internet.

Even Knight Ridder's Nov. 14 decision, under pressure from shareholders, to put itself up for sale failed to spark much optimism. The company, the publisher of the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Miami Herald, may struggle to find a buyer, says analyst Lauren Rich Fine of Merrill Lynch & Co. Knight Ridder shares in October reached the lowest in more than three years.

So-called value investors such as Scott Black of Delphi Management Inc., who buy out-of-favor stocks that are cheap relative to earnings, sales or cash flow, are undeterred. The industry will survive for years to come, and in the meantime, newspaper stocks are so inexpensive that they're bound to be profitable investments, they say.

``It's a slow death overall for the newspapers,'' said Black, whose firm manages $1.1 billion from Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts. ``But the bottom line is they are money machines that generate a lot of cash.'' Black in the third quarter added to his holdings of Gannett Co., the biggest U.S. newspaper company, and McClatchy Inc., publisher of the Sacramento Bee and Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
  3. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Newspapers are in trouble. A friend of mine who works at the Boston Herald said the problem for newspapers is that people under 30 don't read them, and efforts to woo them have failed. It's too bad. Turning the pages of a newspaper is like scrolling through the day's events. You really don't get that experience from the Internet.

As far as the NYT goes, it is the best paper in the nation -- according to surveys of newspaper editors -- as well as any fair-minded reader. Yes, it has its flaws (such as holding back the story on Bush's criminal wiretapping ring for more than a year), but it also has all the news. I think if newspapers are to die out, the NYT will be among the last standing.
  5. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

Evolution. Its' like the guy that pumped gas, he was a common sight when I was growing up, but now are nearly extinct. I would say unless the U.S. Post Office makes some changes, it too will become extinct. How many young people do you think send letters? I would say 90% of my U.S. mail is junk mail. Its kind of like picking up those annoying free advertising papers they throw on your driveway. Newspapers may have to come up with some niche or they maybe doomed. I'm still a little surprised that bookstores still sell out of town newspapers, as they are not cheap.