PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NYT: Bradway keeping quiet about Mangini

Status
Not open for further replies.
On ESPN's Mike & Mike show this morning they had a writer from the NY Post. He said that Eric was the #1 candidate of the Jets, depending on the interview.

It has yet to be determined if the Jest are Eric's #1 choice for next year. I still think it would be a mistake for Eric to jump into that snake pit.

I have no doubt Mangini is the top guy. There's a lot of Patriot Envy and everyone wants a piece. The Jets could hurt the Patriots while helping themselves (in theory anyway) and Herman Edwards' resume wasn't much better when he was hired than Mangini's is. Probably our best chance to not lose him (unless he's a bad interview) is staying in the playoffs a long time and having the Jets grow impatient.

There's a reason Pepper Johnson and Dean Pees are on the staff - insurance. And Collier has had a year watching Mangini play musical DBs.....

Anybody care to post some highlights (cough) of the NYT article? One of the few sites I don't have a dummy login to.

Box_O_Rocks said:
There's a reason Pepper Johnson and Dean Pees are on the staff - insurance. And Collier has had a year watching Mangini play musical DBs.....
I keep thinking Pees is unsigned after this year and Saban had some interest in him as his DC last year but Belichick wouldn't let him go. Can anyone confirm or deny this ?

Regarding Pepper, I'm not sure Belichick would hand the reigns over to him yet. Rob Ryan would seem like a possibility, did the Raiders fire the whole staff or just Turner ?

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Anybody care to post some highlights (cough) of the NYT article? One of the few sites I don't have a dummy login to.

The new era of the Jets began 10 minutes behind schedule Monday with a joke.

Terry Bradway, the team's general manager, strode into the second-floor meeting room at the practice facility, stopped at the sight of the assembled cameramen and reporters and said, "Get my good side, please." He paused before saying, "If there is one."
-----
Jim Haslett, the recently deposed coach of the New Orleans Saints, met with Bradway yesterday morning. He had a record of 35-45 with the Saints after leading them to a 10-6 record and the franchise's only playoff victory in his first year with the team.

Bradway said he had also set up interviews with Joe Vitt, an assistant for 27 years who went 4-7 this season as the St. Louis Rams' interim coach, and the Jets' top three assistants: the defensive coordinator, Donnie Edwards; the offensive coordinator, Mike Heimerdinger; and the special-teams coach/assistant head coach, Mike Westhoff.

Bradway clammed up when asked if he had requested permission to talk to the New England Patriots' defensive coordinator, Eric Mangini.

Mangini, 34, has at least two things working in his favor: he is a Bill Belichick disciple who even went to Belichick's alma mater, Wesleyan. And he knows what it is like to work for the Jets, having spent 1997-99 as the Jets' defensive assistant/quality control coach.

In all, Mangini has spent 10 of his 11 seasons as an N.F.L. assistant working under Belichick or closely with him.

"I'm not going to comment," Bradway said when asked about Mangini.

"We're going to get the best guy for the job that we can," he added, saying he had no timetable for making the hire.

Any timetable involving Mangini would be a tricky one. Under N.F.L. guidelines, the Jets could interview him this week, in Foxborough, Mass., but would not be able to speak with him again until the Patriots were eliminated from postseason play. New England plays a second-round playoff game Saturday night in Denver.

Meanwhile, Mike Tice, who was fired as coach after a tumultuous season in Minnesota, will interview with Bradway next week. Tim Lewis, the Giants' defensive coordinator, is also on Bradway's list, he said.

Mike Sherman, fired last week after his first losing season in six years at Green Bay, "is not coming in at this point," Bradway said. "He is on the radar screen, but not initially."
We all scream for Tice scream!

Bradway's depiction of events was different. "I wanted him back and Woody wanted him back," he said.

"This was Herm's decision to go to Kansas City," he added, "and we allowed that to happen with the compensation of the fourth-round pick."

Dismissing the idea that he let Edwards go to the Chiefs for little in return, Bradway said, "The fact that Herm wanted to go to Kansas City and we were able to get something was good."
Translation: We mugged the devil out of those yokels!

BelichickFan said:
I keep thinking Pees is unsigned after this year and Saban had some interest in him as his DC last year but Belichick wouldn't let him go. Can anyone confirm or deny this ?

Regarding Pepper, I'm not sure Belichick would hand the reigns over to him yet. Rob Ryan would seem like a possibility, did the Raiders fire the whole staff or just Turner ?
Pees, stay in Foxboro with the current dynasty and learn under the hand of the man who taught his Nicktator mentor, or go help the Nicktator salvage the sashimi for chowder? Tough call.

The NFL rules on asst. coaches allows them to be poached for a higher position, BB shouldn't have been able to prevent Pees from leaving if he reached an accomodation with Nick.

Pepper has worked as the LB coach and the DL coach, he just might know enough to handle the job.....;)

Rob Ryan jumped too soon, he can come back as a position coach.

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
The NFL rules on asst. coaches allows them to be poached for a higher position, BB shouldn't have been able to prevent Pees from leaving if he reached an accomodation with Nick.
All there is now is Head Coach and Assistant Coach. Belichick was under no obligation to allow Pees to get out of his contract to go from LB coach to DC and I'm almost certain Saban asked permission and was denied.

I guess I'll have to try to find a link . . .

BelichickFan said:
I couldn't find a definitive article thanks to the Herald charging for their premium articles but if you look at this link you'll find lots of references to the denial of permission for Saban to talk to Pees :

http://www.google.com/search?q=pees+denied+permission+to+talk+to+saban&hl=en&lr=&start=0&sa=N

2005-01-22
[Palm Beach Post] The Dolphins have interviewed three candidates for defensive coordinator, but their top choice remains elusive.

"They seem like they want to wait to see what happens with the Patriots," the source said. "It looks like they want to talk to Dean Pees before they decide anything."

Because of league rules, the Dolphins can't interview Pees, who is in his first season as New England's linebackers coach, until the end of the Patriots' post-season run.

The former Kent State coach served as Nick Saban's defensive coordinator at both Toledo and Michigan State.
It did not appear to be a BB trait, especially for a guy who seems to inspire some loyalty amongst his assistants, to deny one of his an opportunity to advance. Naughty Fan,:p for penance say 53 'In BB I Trust's and chant Go Pats every hour on the hour for two days.

Box_O_Rocks said:
It did not appear to be a BB trait, especially for a guy who seems to inspire some loyalty amongst his assistants, to deny one of his an opportunity to advance. Naughty Fan,:p for penance say 53 'In BB I Trust's and chant Go Pats every hour on the hour for two days.
I'm sure he denied permission. He'd already lost Weis, Crennel and Davidson. Enough was enough.

I wish the Herald archive was free but this snipet is enough to figure out the rest : "requested, and unofficially was denied, permission to interview linebackers coach Dean Pees regarding Miami's"

BelichickFan said:
I'm sure he denied permission. He'd already lost Weis, Crennel and Davidson. Enough was enough.

I wish the Herald archive was free but this snipet is enough to figure out the rest : "requested, and unofficially was denied, permission to interview linebackers coach Dean Pees regarding Miami's"
A snippet out of context from the Herald archive? Hardly conclusive.

However it occurred, Pees is still with the team, has good pedigree, and could be a candidate for DC here if the Jets offer Mangini the job. I am not too concerned, BB's plans for the OC job seem to be going smoothly, none of our illustrious nay sayer reporters have commented on the offensive coordinator in some time. Whomever becomes DC, BB should be able to give them more time, the way he reportedly did for offense this year. And Mangini isn't gone yet.

I wouldn't think Mangini would want any part of that train wreck, but I suppose money talks. I would think he'd stick around to be groomed for...

Obv. I'd prefer we keep Mangini, but I think that Pees would be a solid DC given his lienage and the fact that Saban is so sprung for him.

I'm actually surprised they are considering Mangini has HC given his age. He's what 34? That makes him a contemporary of Martin, and Vinny's younger brother.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Rob Ryan jumped too soon, he can come back as a position coach.

Which is why I don't think Mangini will make a similar mistake. That stint in Oakland has probably slowed Ryan's fast track advance appreciably. Though I wouldn't doubt he jumped because he sensed Mangini was poised to eventually pass him in the BB pecking order.

Eric was witness to two HC horror shows under his mentor in Cleveland and the Meadowlands. Saban waited to pick his spot because he too witnessed that horrible season in Cleveland. There were certainly some issues to deal with in Miami, but he'd had HC experience at the college level and was being offered full control of his destiny by a well established ownership of a premier franchise. With all the melodrama facing the JETS, and their second fiddle status in NY (much like the METS) and the player friendly culture Herm has embedded there over the last 5 seasons, not to mention the NY/NJ media gauntlet, it's not a plumb job - certainly not if you are also at the mercy of an existing GM and relatively new ownership already on the hot seat.

Good position coaches don't always make good coordinators (or HC's as Tice and Herm prove - particularly when they were former players) and Pepper may fall in that category. Mangini and BB are said to have forged that intellectual kindred spirit kind of relationship where they can argue the fine points of defense passionately at times yet continue working together. Similar to BB's relationship with Saban whom he not only mentored but found he could learn from.

Being mentioned as a plumb HC prospect is part of the process and Bradway is just elevating Mangini's profile - probably a tad prematurely. Imagine where he'll be on the league wide HC radar this time next season, or the season thereafter - especially if he's part of a threepeat. His stock is only going to rise here, and eventually it will give him the cache to write his own ticket with some ownership group who wants their own version of BB. In the meantime he'll be very well compensated to work within a group he's familiar with and likes, surrounded by players selected because they get it, and will be in a position where collectively they are expanding his resume for the forseeable future.

Of course, if he's not smart enough to figure all that out, then he probably should take the JETS job. :D

Eric Mangini, while a bright football mind, is in no way ready to be an NFL HC. One year at DC has done nothing to prepare him for game planning, especially offensively, how to run a team in meetings and practices and filmrooms, dealing with ownership and media, veteran vs. rookies. I almost hope he goes to the Jets. The Jets will contribute 2 wins a year to our record. He'll be fired in 2 years due to his inexperience and a bad team, and will come back here richer for the experience, maybe succeed BB as HC when he decides to retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes