Welcome to PatsFans.com

NYC schools give out morning-after pills to students — without telling parents

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

Voucher program please. ASAP.

NYC schools give out morning-after pills to students — without telling parents

By SUSAN EDELMAN and CYNTHIA R. FAGEN
    Last Updated: 12:13 PM, September 24, 2012
    Posted: 12:29 AM, September 23, 2012

EXCLUSIVE

The Department of Education is giving morning-after pills and other birth-control drugs to students at 13 high schools, The Post has learned.

School nurse offices stocked with the contraceptives can dispense “Plan B” emergency contraception and other oral or injectable birth control to girls without telling their parents — unless parents opt out after getting a school informational letter about the new program.

EXCLUSIVE: New York City high schools giving students morning-after pills and other birth control, without telling parents - NYPOST.com
  2. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +335 / 4 / -10

but you can't get a 20oz soda
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

Maybe if you told them that you're a 14 year old who needs to wash down a morning after pill, they'd make an exception. :rofl:
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

"Opt out" is the deceitful technique used in many fraudulent free offers or add ons to something you bought....usually on the internet. They have a box already checked that sells you something unless you uncheck the box. How many people are opted in because they don't understand they have to opt out or they never open the mail? The more honest approach is aways "opt in". If the schools were really sincere that they wanted the parent's go ahead then they would approach it this way. Instead, the box is already checked that they want this.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  5. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

OT: This is correct. I work in support of a Marketing Group. The federal DNM/DNC's are Opt In by default and a Customer must chose to be opted out.

It should be reversed.
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +889 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Seems like this would not encourage the use of condoms.

Would boys pressure girls into more unprotected sex knowing the pill is available?

Solving one problem can lead to other health related problems for the girl.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

Bingo fellas. That is exactly my sentiment. It should always be an "opt-in" system. The "opt-out" is disengenuous by design. Stuff like this makes my blood boil.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

The people elect these morons that dream up this
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2012
  9. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

OT: I'm actually kinda surprised they didn't reverse them as part of FACTA; considering FACTA deals with legally what happens if you Market to someone who opted out.

Figured they would add that last little bit of teeth to that law and flip the default value.
  10. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -9

#87 Jersey

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2012
  11. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My mother called me about this last night, you can imagine her reaction LOL.

It won't be long before parents have NO say in how their kid is raised or what their kid does, or eats, or where the kid plays. They certainly can't play in their front yards "unsupervised", they can't bring an occasional fluffernutter to school for lunch ( a recent analysis showed prisoners got a healthier, more balanced lunch than kids in school), every move they make is surveilled by camera, and now they're feeding your daughters hormones to prevent an unwanted pregnancy likely due to having had unprotected sex. Possibly with one of their teachers or perhaps a coach, who knows anymore.

WTF.

I wonder how you learn anything in an environment like that?
  12. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -1

Its idiotic to think this will encourage more rampant sex and not using condoms.

Plan B is VERY unpleasant to take.

I completely support this. If the government wants to cut welfare and assistance programs for teen moms then the state should make moves like this.

Without Plan B these girls would have gotten pregnant and dropped out of school, furthering this cycle.
  13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Speculating I would say you don't have kids especially daughters. :rolleyes:
  14. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Fine but do you think the "Opt Out" requirement is the appropriate method the schools should be using for getting a parents blessing on what they give their kids? Shouldn't it be "Opt In"? It seems to me they chose "Opt Out" to try and catch parents asleep at the switch to get their own agenda satisfied. They don't really want a parents permission, they're just playing like they do.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

What a shock. Uber liberal Docholiday totally supports this. :rolleyes:
  16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

Parents
    Ask questions every day about what goes on in these "Nut Houses" we call public schools, also ask them what these "Nuts" they call teachers are brain-washing them with, be especially aware of what they are telling your daughters, todays Hip Anything Goes America runs on sex, we are bombarded with it so don't be surprised if your little girl comes home knocked up by her teacher or the janitor.

If you catch your kid masturbating they will probably tell you they are doing their Homework.
  17. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It's all about control imho, and it figures it would be Loonberg's city:rolleyes: Just like the 32 oz sodas or no longer allowing hospitals to send home a free can of just-in-case formula with new mothers.

Schools do whatever they want to. Schools have no business getting involved in half the things they do. In the UK they're proposing teaching 5 year olds to masturbate-I suppose the reasoning is to prevent pregnancy down the road. Girls are reaching puberty at 7 after all. :bricks:
  18. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -1

If the kids are getting pregnant and turning to the school nurse, they're not going to ask mom - what would opt out do?

The whole reason they got pregnant in the first place is mom and dad weren't around or didn't give them the proper education to either not have sex or do it safely.

It's not an agenda, it's common sense to keep kids in school. When a teen is getting pregnant, it's past the point of a caring family having a preference whether or not they're taking contraceptives.

I assure you nobody is out there to push their free-love, everyone having tons of sex agenda.

This isn't for children with mindful parents, Patsfan13. In the schools with these types of programs you have daycare in school for student's children.

The difference between you and me is you want the law to be administered in an ideal world where people don't have premarital sex and social services aren't needed because kids don't make ****ty choices and parents stay with their kids to help them raise their new grandchildren while teen mom goes to school.

That's not reality. Schools deal with reality. It's why they give out condoms, give sex ed, and in areas where **** really gets bad give Plan B. If I came to you and told you to pony up more cash to pay for teen mom's kids you'd be the first to scream 'Not from my wallet!'

I need to also reiterate how bad Plan B feels when you take it. Definitely not something you want to go through again. People who think it's some key to wanton sex are delusional.

All in all, this is one of those cases where you can't be a fiscal and social conservative without sacrificing realism.

I don't know about that. If it's true, that's just loony.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

The schools are letting the parents opt out of the program. The program is in place. Parents must opt out. The parents are required to follow their rules to regain their parental rights. It's apparent to me the schools have decided what is best and will proceed unless they are stopped. If they really wanted a parents blessing on the program then the option should be opting into the program. Whether or not the program is beneficial is another matter. Opting out is a marketing strategy designed to get more "customers" than Opt In marketing gets. I know this because I used to work in that industry. We both bought and generated leads for various industries. Opt out leads were poor quality because they had the highest percentage of people that didn't realize they signed up for something. We wouldn't generate of buy any leads that used that method. I think the schools understand this principle and chose Opt out for that reason.
  20. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -1

If a deadbeat isn't going to teach his daughter not to get knocked up, he sure as hell isn't going to have the foresight to opt in.

If you raise your children well and give them your good values or however you perceive they should be raised they shouldn't have to need these pills.

Why does this bother you? Teach your daughter well, and it won't be necessary. This is for girls that don't have that authority figure at home, and don't need a child to make their lives go further down the drain.

Anyway, unless you live in that school distract, your morals have no place in this argument.