PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NY Times says Mangini's job on the line - might not work again

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didnt run it up in the Jets Pats first game but it seemed like they did intentionally in certain games last year

Do we need a Patsfans FAQ to counter this repeated ignorance?

Do we need a Patsfans FAQ to counter this repeated ignorance?

this ignorance is even felt by one of your own.

BB has generally played conservatively, keeping the game close and not making a mistake at the end.
I think BB genuinely thought that the rules were as he interpreted and was hammering the league to prove a point known only to him.

I really dont think its that big a deal if he was running it up, im just saying how I honestly feel.

Of course I'm sure there were no threads on any of the Jets message boards of Jetsfans moaning about the big bad Patriots running up the score either. That would be out of character for Jets fans. They would never whine about something like that

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?p=872355

:rolleyes: ;)

I'm sure there were Jets fans who made that statement, but there weren't any Jets that did that I can recall. And that is what he said, he said the Jets were whining.

How does being a rat help you recruit players for a college program?

I think this guy is going to have huge problems finding a job college or pros if he doesn't turn the Jets around and quick. If he has a sub .500 season that could be it. And if he doesn't get a SB or real close in 2 years its probably over too.

How does being a rat help you recruit players for a college program?
Doesn't seem to affect guys like Saban too much, the Sabans and Rodriguezes (sp?) will hop from team to team as situations dictate. I'm not necessarily down on them (I generally figure I don't know enough about the dynamic with the players, ownership/faculty relations, etc to have a real opinion) but the recruitment portion doesn't *seem* to be an issue to the people who pay big money to bring some of these guys in.

To the guy who thinks that RC will hire Mangidiot to run his defence when the jets fire him.
You have no clue. One of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board.

Nice to see the other shoe falling in NYC - not even the times can deny the fallout from Spygate could mean that Mangini is likely personnae non grata in the NFL once his tenure with the Jets is up - which of course would be common sense. What other organization wants to leave themselves vulnerable to an admitted rat?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/s...1217185361-0BP6xiTjkdVg/V0VruVcCA&oref=slogin

Ironically, if the Pats hadn't gone 16-0 in the regular season, the Jets would likely be better off at least in the short term. The only reason the Jets picked #6 instead of #3 was because of their strength of schedule - courtesy the Patriots Mangini inspired perfect regular season.

=====================================================

I see threads daily on this board that are started because someone penned an article for some paper or web site that is critical of the Pats. The consensus always is that the writer is a idiot with penis envy that doesnt have his facts straight. Many posters on this board have sworn off ever reading the NY Times among others.

But now the shoe is on the other foot so to speak, and look at you boy's come running to pile on how this Guy Harvey Araton knows his ****. friggin pathetic.

This article is nothing but total speculation, no sources, nothing but some hack trying to drum up a reaction.

I dare any one to prove to me that Mangini had anything to do with calling security and having them hassle Estrella, show me on reliable source or piece of evidence that Mangini had any thing to do with fact that the Pats got caught filming from an illegal location.

End rant.

Last edited:
I dare any one to prove to me that Mangini had anything to do with calling security and having them hassle Estrella, show me on reliable source or piece of evidence that Mangini had any thing to do with fact that the Pats got caught cheating.

End rant.

Just as soon as you can prove that the Pats got caught "cheating". As far as we all know, they only got in trouble for filming from an illegal location.

Last edited:
Just as soon as you can prove that the Pats got caught "cheating". As far as we all know, they only got in trouble for filming from an illegal location.

=======================================================

You know what, I find that point to be all semantics, but I will edit my post because I can't disagree with you.

Spygate was a "Mountain out of a Mole Hill"

It's pretty much the same thing in both cases. The whole thing was portrayed as a progression of the first "No handshake" game from 2006. It went "No Handshake by Belichick" to "Sarcastic Handshake by Mangini" to "Sarcastic Hug after a Blowout by Belichick" to "One up Mentor by getting him in trouble with the league by Mangini". But then the media got a hold of it and the rest was history.

Another reason it seems like it was Mangini trying to screw his former boss was the week 2 charges of "Radio signal spying and jamming accusations by the Jets" that Andrea Kramer reported during the NE/SD game. If Mangini wasn't behind the week 1 hijinx or made a mistake and didn't mean for it to get that out of hand, that whole 2nd set of allegations would not have happened.

=====================================================

I see threads daily on this board that are started because someone penned an article for some paper or web site that is critical of the Pats. The consensus always is that the writer is a idiot with penis envy that doesnt have his facts straight. Many posters on this board have sworn off ever reading the NY Times among others.

But now the shoe is on the other foot so to speak, and look at you boy's come running to pile on how this Guy Harvey Araton knows his ****. friggin pathetic.

This article is nothing but total speculation, no sources, nothing but some hack trying to drum up a reaction.

I dare any one to prove to me that Mangini had anything to do with calling security and having them hassle Estrella, show me on reliable source or piece of evidence that Mangini had any thing to do with fact that the Pats got caught filming from an illegal location.

End rant.

I still think the Times is a shell of its former self and is now a horrible paper. I think they show their agendas far more than a lot of other newspapers with far lesser reputation. I think their sports section sucks. I used to read the paper almost every day for years, but have long since stopped.

That said, I do agree with some of the points of this article. I do think that the Jets' strategy this offseason was a bit of an air of desperation (the Times weren't the first to make this point). Many people in the media have stated this.

I also don't believe any owner of a team that went 4-12 the previous season who says that the head coach is safe no matter what in the upcoming season. So Woody Johnson can promise whatever he wants, but I wouldn't feel all that safe if I was Mangini and in this upcoming January the Jets only have 5 or 6 wins.

I also think that although many head coach's are happy Belichick got in trouble, that they would never want a guy like Mangini on their team ever. People gotta question whether he deserves to be a head coach or even a defensive coordinator. Also, I with many coaches hanging onto their jobs by a thread, they don't want to be worried about looking over their shoulder at Mangini.

It's pretty much the same thing in both cases. The whole thing was portrayed as a progression of the first "No handshake" game from 2006. It went "No Handshake by Belichick" to "Sarcastic Handshake by Mangini" to "Sarcastic Hug after a Blowout by Belichick" to "One up Mentor by getting him in trouble with the league by Mangini". But then the media got a hold of it and the rest was history.

Another reason it seems like it was Mangini trying to screw his former boss was the week 2 charges of "Radio signal spying and jamming accusations by the Jets" that Andrea Kramer reported during the NE/SD game. If Mangini wasn't behind the week 1 hijinx or made a mistake and didn't mean for it to get that out of hand, that whole 2nd set of allegations would not have happened.

Why would anyone care about any of this, unless they feel threatened by it? Question, how come there is so much hatred for Mangini? Why don't you hate Crennel? If your not guilty of this stuff, you should welcome the NFL investigating it because you have nothing to hide. The Pats got fined, BB got fined because they were wrong. Oh yeah, I know it was just BB misinterpreting the rules, how convenient. And I get a kick out of how some of you refer to Mangini as an idiot, when your head coach called him the brightest assistant he's ever had when he was still with the Patriots. Say what you want about Mangini, but the guy is extremely far from being an idiot.

Forget Spygate and all that other crap ... Mangini was not yet ready to be a HC in this league. If he was he would not have gotten benched by Belichick the last year he was here. He took the job because he was pissed off about being benched and he knew if he got demoted he may not get another shot for a very long time.

The Jets will see this year that Mangini is not the answer and they wasted 3 years of developing with him ... he's the Pennington of coaches ... he can do the small tasks but the hurdles are way to high for him because he does not get the respect from his players that more established coaches get.

Why would anyone care about any of this, unless they feel threatened by it? Question, how come there is so much hatred for Mangini? Why don't you hate Crennel? If your not guilty of this stuff, you should welcome the NFL investigating it because you have nothing to hide. The Pats got fined, BB got fined because they were wrong. Oh yeah, I know it was just BB misinterpreting the rules, how convenient. And I get a kick out of how some of you refer to Mangini as an idiot, when your head coach called him the brightest assistant he's ever had when he was still with the Patriots. Say what you want about Mangini, but the guy is extremely far from being an idiot.
You are much, much closer...

Nice to see the other shoe falling in NYC - not even the times can deny the fallout from Spygate could mean that Mangini is likely personnae non grata in the NFL once his tenure with the Jets is up - which of course would be common sense. What other organization wants to leave themselves vulnerable to an admitted rat?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/s...1217185361-0BP6xiTjkdVg/V0VruVcCA&oref=slogin

Ironically, if the Pats hadn't gone 16-0 in the regular season, the Jets would likely be better off at least in the short term. The only reason the Jets picked #6 instead of #3 was because of their strength of schedule - courtesy the Patriots Mangini inspired perfect regular season.

I honestly think he lacks as a human being. You have the ratting out of "somebody very dear to me", but moreover every time he talks it's hard to watch. He's such a liar. I was recently watching somebody asking about if they asked for permission to talk to Farve, and as always, he would answer it, saying 'we're very happy with all the QBs we have here now'. Then, when pressed said, 'that is an internal things and we don't talk about internal things'. Huh? How is that internal? Did you ask for permission to talk to Farve or didn't you?

He's a flawed human being, and this is his last job as a head coach.

I was replying to Gunnails, who asked why everyone thought it was Mangini who ratted out BB. Why are you quoting me?

And the reason everyone hates Mangini is because he stole Pats material on his way out the door. And he is a rat, and people just frown upon that.

I tend to go along with you - it seemed the caliber of teamplay as well as the gameplan was designed to send a message to the league.

To be honest, I think it's more likely that the Pats will stick with the "straight to defiant" mentality than the "just win" mentality. The best way not to lose a close game is to kick the c*** out of your opponents from beginning to end. :)

And for the Jets strength of schedule compared to the other 4-12 teams, even one loss would have made the .007 strength of schedule difference that saw them pick #6 instead of #3.

Just to be clear, one Patriots loss (to a team other than the JEST) would have left the JEST tied with ATL, KC, and OAK, and created an even bigger mess for the #3 pick. Two Patriots losses would have given them the #3 pick free and clear.

End rant.

I think you've gone all OJ on us here. I hear ya, but there ain't no way I'm buying it - and more importantly most people in the Media and NFL ain't buying it either.

Mangini did it.

He knew what to look for and when - and he'll be paying a high price for that moment of stupidity in the inner circle of the coaching/mgt. world for a long time - if he can't win and win a lot and bury it for the short term memory of many in the league.

But your right, if the Glove don't fit, you must acquit.....and I ain't buying that either.

Mangini will land on his feet as the defensive coordinator in Cleveland under Romeo Crennel. Belichick will likely disapprove and Crennel is his ally, but they are also competitors as head coaches. RAC isn't a fool, he knows that Mangini knows how to run the 3-4 defense.

No way. Once a rat, always a rat. Mangini isn't exactly a once-in-a-lifetime defensive coordinator, and Crennel can find another without having to resort to hiring scum.

No way. Mangini will always have a back-up job as a stuntman for Kevin James on the King of Queens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back