Welcome to PatsFans.com

NY Times "outs" a real CIA agent

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by FreeTedWilliams, Jun 25, 2008.

1. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

ABOSOLUTLEY INCREDIBLE!!!

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/shocker-nyt-reveals-name-of-cia-operative

Once again, if anyone had any doubt that the whole Valerie Plame thing, had nothing to do with the CIA, and everything to do with politics, here's your proof.

Editors’ Note
    By THE NEW YORK TIMES
    Published: June 22, 2008

The Central Intelligence Agency asked The New York Times not to publish the name of Deuce Martinez, an interrogator who questioned Khalid Shaikh Mohammed and other high-level Al Qaeda prisoners, saying that to identify Mr. Martinez would invade his privacy and put him at risk of retaliation from terrorists or harassment from critics of the agency.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

Against his safety wishes as well. Their excuse was pitiful too. This was an FU from the Times to the CIA, big time.

That's said, I thought it was a fascinating article.

For some reason, Deuce just seems like an appropriate name for a CIA interrogator, doesn't it :cool:
  3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's not the same thing at all.

I'm not sure how it's not the same, but I'm sure there will be a parade of apologists arriving soon to explain how it's not the same. :rolleyes:

;)
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 2 / -9

The NY Times Flew Their Flag At Half Mast When Saddam Died
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Wow...that's sad. Why would any newspaper put someone's safety at risk PURPOSEFULLY?
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

My guess is that he supported going to Iraq. Dead man walking as far as the Times is concerned. I know that's cynical but............just sayin
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

They view the US gov as the bad guys, at least until obamassiah is elected.

I am sure the rats in congress will call for an investigation into the leak and the prosecution of the editors of the Times....
    /scarcasm
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +443 / 5 / -2

Editors note from the Times:

This is really bad on their part I think. Martinez himself, according to the editor, asked that he not be named. Why name him? KSM is clearly someone AQ would be looking to settle a score for. Why put the man, and his family (he's married according to the original NYT story) in danger? If they called him Agent X, would it make a difference?
  9. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Nah, that whole liberal bias in the media is a lie.
  10. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

For me, the part I bolded was the most HOLLOW of the whole note. If you read the article, then it's becomes pretty clear the this is a BS notion. The article (which is fascinating I admit) would read almost identically had that not used his name at all, or just referred to him as DM or something to that effect.

They even published where this guy, who is an OBVIOUS patriot, works. Might as well send AQ friggen google maps to his house for christ sakes.
  11. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +794 / 4 / -5

#75 Jersey

As a former TS/SCI cleared member of one of our agencies, let me lend my voice to those condemning what the NY Times did. There's no excuse for that. It is as close to a public assassination as someone can come.

Anybody, ANYBODY (including high government officials) who outs an undercover agent should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

If someone did that to me 20 years ago, I would have lived the rest of my life making sure they regretted it.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +443 / 5 / -2

What's funny is they expose a CIA interogator (is he an "agent" I dunno, maybe/probably) cuz they think they need credibility, yet, when printing that watercooler inuendo, lobbyist affair article, they had no problem citing nothing but "annonymous" sources. So they can't name some guy that saw/thought McLame was having an affair, but they can put a guys life, and his family's, at risk, when they don't need to. Go figure.
  13. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Not really surprising to me unfortunately.
  14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +278 / 10 / -26

They need to be held accountable..
  15. shmessy

Ratings:
    +794 / 4 / -5

#75 Jersey

Let me add: The editor of the NYT who made that decision deserves to share the same cell with Scooter, Cheney, Armitage and Novak.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +443 / 5 / -2

Now we're going to get 12 pages of last years posts from PC, PF13, etc. Why go there shmess!!! :D
  17. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

Shmessey needs to try to create a moral equivalence, in this case nothing will happen, we will not hear about it after another day or 2 and it will disappear unless this guy or his family are murdered by Muslim terrorist.
  18. shmessy

Ratings:
    +794 / 4 / -5

#75 Jersey

BS. I hope the NYT Editor gets the chair for what he/she did. And I will kick and scream about it until that editor gets punished for it.

I'm sorry if you feel, Scooter, Cheney, Armitage and Novak are OK for doing it also, but having been in that position myself, it hits very close to home. You don't mess with outing someone under cover - - no exceptions.

Premeditated murder and treason is not a partisan issue.

Sorry if that offends you.
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Was he covert? ... I know Plame was.

Meanwhile, from the Inappropriate Department, and in the most blatant form of hypocrisy thus far in the new millenium, here's the last person on Earth who should be condemning anyone about outing a COVERT CIA operative -- PoS Karl "Pig Boy" Rove -- doing exactly that when appearing yesterday on the state propaganda network:

VIDEO of piggie

ROVE: "Well, I read their explanation. And basically, it sounded to me like they were saying we put his name out there because we decided we could. And I mean, they didn’t have a good explanation for it. ... Look, they put our country at risk when they reveal the details of a program that saved America from attacks.”​

You just can't make this stuff up. And the mantra to neocons continues: "Different when you guys do it, huh?"
  20. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Was Scooter Libby pardoned? I think so. If you don't have a problem with that, how can you complain about this?