PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NY Times Draft Analysis: The Winners, The Losers and the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NY Times is a reputable paper and they're not really known for screaming at the top of their lungs like ****ty rags like the boston herald or NY Post (i wouldn't even wipe my ass with those papers, not surprisingly, they were owned or currently owned by rupert murdoch). They're more into analysis than crybaby (anti) homerism.

They've had some great articles on the pats, including my favorite article about wes welker and probably the most in-depth analytical report on his skill set and how he is able to dominate in this league:

Happy Feet: How Wes Welker Makes the Patriots Go - The Fifth Down Blog - NYTimes.com

That's no credit to the NYT. Chris Brown writes his own blog which is picked up by the NYT from time to time. He has his own site, smart football. He is easily one of the best writers in the business. Really, really knows his football.

Thought it was a really great draft myself. I didn't understand the hate on the McCourty pick I was hearing all day Friday. The secondary isn't horrible or anything but it's pretty obvious it could use a boost. Drafting a potential big time corner was a good idea in my book. I loved the 3 second round picks and I like the fact that we invested in a punter as well.

Re: NY Times Draft Analysis: The Winners,The Losers and the Patriots

unlike the homeristic papers you have up there, a reputable paper with the history and tradition of the NY Times tend to call it like it is.

Like the Boston Herald? Which singlehandedly revived Spygate as a national story for the weekend of SB XLII with an article it later admitted never should have been published because of its falsehoods, which falsehoods many believe so distracted the Patriots that it impeded their preparation and play in that game? You mean "homeristic" like that?

Last edited:
good article for a real good draft the Pats have done

great BB !!!

One thing I've seen and heard a few times is how the Pats trade "out" of the picks. I think any true analysis of what they accomplished this year has to point out that in the first two days they:

- made all four picks they were scheduled to make (albeit with some shuffling, though to hear BB they don't seem to have miss out on anyone they wanted)
- added a fifth pick
- moved UP for a TE they wanted early
- fabricated a 2nd round pick for next year essentially out of thin air.

"With the 22nd pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select Rutgers CB Aaron McCourty, Ohio WR Taylor Price and Florida TE Aaron Hernandez."

The Patriots did not make the picks they were scheduled to make. This is critical. The Patriots turned the 22nd pick into three players by trading it twice for a 3rd and a 4th rounder. That is how we might best judge their 1st selection in this draft.

The 4th rounder, Florida's Aaron Hernandez, was the best TE in college football in 2009 as the John Mackey Award winner. While not a great barometer of NFL success, other Mackey Award winners include Dallas Clark and Kellen Winslow, II.

"With the 22nd pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select Rutgers CB Aaron McCourty, Ohio WR Taylor Price and Florida TE Aaron Hernandez."

The Patriots did not make the picks they were scheduled to make. This is critical. The Patriots turned the 22nd pick into three players by trading it twice for a 3rd and a 4th rounder. That is how we might best judge their 1st selection in this draft.

The 4th rounder, Florida's Aaron Hernandez, was the best TE in college football in 2009 as the John Mackey Award winner. While not a great barometer of NFL success, other Mackey Award winners include Dallas Clark and Kellen Winslow, II.

You were doing fine until you metioned Kellen Winslow :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back