Welcome to PatsFans.com

NY Times denies McCain equal op ed piece

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by FreeTedWilliams, Jul 21, 2008.

1. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashnym.htm

NYT REJECTS MCCAIN'S EDITORIAL; SHOULD 'MIRROR' OBAMA
    Mon Jul 21 2008 12:00:25 ET

An editorial written by Republican presidential hopeful McCain has been rejected by the NEW YORK TIMES -- less than a week after the paper published an essay written by Obama, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The paper's decision to refuse McCain's direct rebuttal to Obama's 'My Plan for Iraq' has ignited explosive charges of media bias in top Republican circles.

Can they be any more one sided?

2. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Here's a little more balanced journalism..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080720/ap_en_tv/ap_on_tv_obama_s_trip

For each of the weeks between June 9 and July 13, Obama had a much more significant media presence. The Project for Excellence in Journalism evaluates more than 300 political stories each week in newspapers, magazines and television to measure whether each candidate is talked about in more than 25 percent of the stories.

Every week, Obama played an important role in more than two-thirds of the stories. For July 7-13, for example, Obama was a significant presence in 77 percent of the stories, while McCain was in 48 percent, the PEJ said.

Sure, there are some weeks Obama's going to make more news, said Tom Rosenstiel, the project's director.

But every week?

"No matter how understandable it is given the newness of the candidate and the historical nature of Obama's candidacy, in the end it's probably not fair to McCain," he said.

The Democrat has proven an attractive commodity; TV debates involving Democrats this campaign consistently drew more viewers than the Republicans. A Time magazine cover with Obama in 2006 was the second-best-selling of the year, and a Men's Vogue cover outsold every issue but the debut, according to circulation figures reported by Portfolio.com. Newsweek has done six covers with Obama over the past year, two with McCain. A Rolling Stone cover with Obama stopped just short of adding a halo.

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

I don't believe it. My guess is that the McCain campaign refused to shorten it to the standard length or missed a deadline. Drudge is simply reporting as news what the McCain campaign is saying, and that's why Drudge is an untrustworthy source for news.

Check Editor & Publisher in a day or two. I would bet they would have all the details, but they don't have anything yet.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com

As far as the fact that Obama is getting more coverage than McCain, we'd have to find out what they're each doing that's newsworthy. Certainly, McCain's Columbia trip got a lot of coverage and now Obama's overseas trips are getting a lot of coverage. Supposedly, while Obama is focused on campaigning, McCain's schedule is heavily focused on fundraising, which is less newsworthy.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  4. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Read the DrudgeReport: he has a quote from the Times, they do not like the fact that McCain points out how Obama has been wrong about Iraq, and that is what they have a problem with.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

Where's the fairness doctrine when you need it.

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

Well, if that's the whole story, then the NYT certainly owes an explanation. Even I would want to read McCain's response in the NYT. That's why people read the OpEd page, to get different points of view. I believe the NYT might have asked for changes and that the McCain campaign said no, but I also think the NYT had an obligation to print it after that. It's very strange. I've been reading the NYT for years, and you see a lot of prominent conservatives represented on their OpEd pages.

7. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Nobody wants the "fairness doctrine", HOWEVER, at least Rush, Hannity et al, ADMIT that they are commentators and not "journalists".

The NY Times, should admit that they are nothing but a bunch of leftwing nutjobs, and not a legitimate source of "news" and I would leave them alone.

8. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yeah I would think there's more to the story. It can't be that they would just flat out reject his rebuttal and be that overtly bias. I think they have a more subconscious bias, not an outright snub like this. If it's true.... ouch for NYT.

9. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Why would you think this? Where exactly have they ever shown to be fair?

This is more to the status quo, for the Times, than an enigma.

10. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Here's the latest:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/07/mccain-oped-not.html

"It would be terrific to have an article from Sen. McCain that mirrors Sen. Obama's piece. To that end, the article would have to articulate, in concrete terms how Sen. McCain defines victory in Iraq. It would also have to lay out a clear plan for achieving victory -- with troop levels, timetables and measures for compelling the Iraqis to cooperate."

The McCain campaign has refused to rewrite the piece, saying that the Times' suggestions are tantamount to insisting that he change his position in order to get his opinions published.

So the Times, don't agree with McCain, so they won't publish it, simple as that!

11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

The American people know the MSM is in the bag for BO.

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

These polls don't have that much accuracy. The best way to measure sentiment would be to ask people about the media they watch or read, not the media in general. For instance, while Congress gets low ratings, most people give their individual representatives fairly high marks. For years, the Republicans have been spreading the meme that the media is liberal, despite the fact that about half the newspapers tend to endorse Republicans, Republicans have control over the radio, and tv is certainly a mixed bag. The Rasmussen poll shows nothing more than the effectiveness of Republican propaganda.

13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

Enjoy life in the bubble Patters, most sane people know the press is totally in the bag for BO, if you don't.....

14. Patters

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

No, that's Republican propaganda. It works well. The fact that Obama is more newsworthy because he's a black man, an unexpected victor of the Democratic primary, is generating tremendously enthusiastic support, and is running an effective and newsworthy campaign has nothing to do with media bias. That overwhelming numbers of Republicans blame the media for their ineptitude is no surprise. Let's face it the idea of responsibility is just talk for many Republicans. They blamed Clinton for 9/11, for our economic difficulties, blame Congress whenever they can, blame the poor for taking "their" money, blame illegal immigrants for all sorts of problems, and so on is simply the sad whimper of a dying elephant.

15. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Patters is in some little dream world. He's taken on an interesting strategy of taking a known fact (media bias in favor of Liberals) and claiming it's the opposite. I don't think Patters is stupid so I think he's doing it for fun.

16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,114 / 3 / -10

You know sometimes something like this is good for the guy that is down, America now knows that the MSM Elite Left Wing Media will sell their souls to get Obama elected, some of them wouldn't even care if he could read or write, they have been waiting fifty years for a 'sweet talking' guy like the Prince to come along and they will resort to every dirty trick in the book to "get him in" look at the job they did on their beloved "Bill & Hill" (we all know the real reason for the love affair but dare not mention it)

Mccain may benifit from all the sleazy underhanded sh!t that will be thrown at him because "America Loves A Guy Thats Being Bullied"

Watch Chris Matthews face when he says the word "Barack" pure ecstasy and adorational Idol worship.

"Oh Dear And Great Holy Great Messiah bless us with another of your heavenly electrifying leg tingling speeches, we love you oh beautiful Barack"
    Amen

17. Patters

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

No, I don't think the media is nearly as biased as Republicans say. The right has overwhelming control over radio and has control over Fox News. I don't think abc, cbs, nbc, or cnn are especially liberal. Cbs used to be liberal but not so much any more. True, they are to the left of you, but they are also to the right of me.

As far as newspapers go, if you include local newspapers, there's a fairly even split; if you only include newspaper of national repute, then it's true that the more liberal leaning newspaper have a big advantage.

Now, if you include nonnews tv, such as Fox's Family Guy, David Letterman, Conan O'Brien, Hollywood, MTV, and so on, there's clearly a liberal bias. But, those aren't news outlets.

I do think Obama by every measure is a far more exciting candidate than McCain, and that will be a problem for the McCain campaign. You could argue that the media is age-ist, and I would agree. If McCain was 30 years younger, he'd probably more attention.

18. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Radio, sure, in terms of listeners. But there's plenty of Liberal talk shows, it's just that no-one listens to them. You must have convinced yourself about what you say about TV unless you're just playing a game. Even Fox isn't nearly as biased as you think when you look at them as a whole although it is Conservative. Harry Boy is right about Mathews, he has a dreamy look every time he says Obama. And Dan Abrams is disgusting how biased he is. The whole of MSNBC is way more Left than Fox is Right.

19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

I was being facetious.

20. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

.....A known fact :rofl: