PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NY Times columnist about being a frustrated Jets fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudyPatFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Bob Herbert usually writes about social and economic issues in NYC but this is a poignant complaint about how bad the Jets have been over the years from Friday's NY Times.

Op-Ed Columnist - The Miracle That Never Happens - NYTimes.com

Opening quote:

"Here we go again, said the Jets fan. That would be me.

I’ve been fortunate enough to avoid drug addiction and alcoholism, and I gave up smoking cigarettes a very long time ago. But I am a Jets fan. And being a New York Jets football fan is an illness. So keep that in mind, and please be kind as you read this.

There was a single moment of glory on Jan. 12, 1969, when the great Joe Namath, with his white shoes and long hair and a right arm that could write poetry with a football, led the Jets to the greatest upset in pro football history: defeating the mighty Colts of Baltimore in the Super Bowl, 16-7.

Google it. You’ll see.

I was young and thought that was the start of something big. Once you take that first hit of a powerful drug, you think that exalted, blissful feeling can be repeated. You can spend the rest of your life trying to experience it again."

My husband is a Jets fan (I say we have a "mixed marriage"!) and he really identified with the sentiments in the piece. Judy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back