PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NY Daily News: Pepper Johnson "very interested" in Giants DC job

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Blue Screen - NY Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...06/2010-01-06_pepper_could_spice_up_blue.html

Pepper Johnson, the former Giants linebacker and current Patriots defensive line coach, would seemingly be a perfect candidate to become the new Giants defensive coordinator. And according to two people familiar with his thinking, he’s “very interested” in the job.

I wrote about that in today’s Daily News so you can read all the details there. I don’t know if Johnson is on Coughlin’s actual short list. I do know there are a few people in the Giants organization who think he should be.

Last edited:
Pepper has been a good soldier here. Gotta think if BB wanted him as a DC he would have put him there after rat-boy left. Might be a glass-ceiling for him in Foxboro. Who knows.

Good luck to him if he gets the opportunity to interview.

No quotes from him so I'm calling BS on it for now.

I'd be gutted though, he's been a fantastic Line Coach for us and I was hoping he'd be our DC at some point in the next couple of years.

Report links Pats assistant to job - Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

In Foxboro on Wednesday, Belichick was asked about Johnson's contributions to the Patriots.

"Pepper has really been a very valuable person for me and for our entire organization. He's done a number of different things -- coaching linebackers, coaching defensive linemen, working in the offseason program, strength and conditioning. I think the big thing that Pepper brings to our staff that is really unique is that he's played in this system. He's actually done it out on the field," Belichick said.

Belichick also noted the energy that Johnson brings to the practice field, helping run the defensive scout team. As for the report linking Johnson to the Giants, Belichick said his primary thoughts at this time are on the Ravens.

Last edited:
I just hope it's not a distraction right now (how couldn't it be).

As for the report linking Johnson to the Giants, Belichick said his primary thoughts at this time are on the Ravens.

Would love his response to the question, "Bill- Can you share with us your secondary thoughts?"

It's assumed that a smart-***** answer would follow. ;)

He has done his time and is deserving of a DC job for some team. The Giants seem like it would be a good fit. If BB was really impressed and confident in him I think he would have given him the job before Pees, I am not saying Pepper is a bad coach at all. Maybe BB just thought that he wasnt ready at the time.

I just hope it's not a distraction right now (how couldn't it be).

Because losing Wes Welker and our issues on defense aren't distraction enough.

Because losing Wes Welker and our issues on defense aren't distraction enough.

That's what I mean. We need to minimize the issues.

That said, I'm not down on our defense. Wilfork, Warren, Bodden come back this week. Big shift forward from last week.

Good luck to PJ personally, but if he goes to the Giants may his professional life while he's there be an unwaking hellish nightmare.

The only question is if they were to hire him is what system are they going to run? The Giants don't have the personnel to run our system so perhaps he runs theirs or moves towards this system slowly.

That's what I mean. We need to minimize the issues.

That said, I'm not down on our defense. Wilfork, Warren, Bodden come back this week. Big shift forward from last week.

Yes, I'm not near as fatalistic about our defense as half the posters on this board are. Of course, having followed the Patriots since '72, I know full well what a BAD defense looks like. The current defense isn't even close :D

I can't see Pepper going to the Giants. I don't think Coughlin wants to run the 3-4 and that is basically all Johnson has ever been exposed to.

I can see why Pepper would want to go to the Giants, but that is probably more his wish than a realistic possibility.

He has done his time and is deserving of a DC job for some team. The Giants seem like it would be a good fit. If BB was really impressed and confident in him I think he would have given him the job before Pees, I am not saying Pepper is a bad coach at all. Maybe BB just thought that he wasnt ready at the time.

He's the type of guy you need on the sidelines during the game--not up in the pressbox. That being said, he certainly deserves a shot at a DC position by now.

The opportunity is tough for Pepper to pass up. He certainly would like to go to the giants. After all, Coughlin won't be there forever.

Good luck to Pepper!

When Rac moved on Peppers had only been a coach for 4-5 years so maybe he thought Pees was better at the time because of experience.

I am happy for Peppers as he deserves it but I hope he stays here because he should be Pees' replacement if and when Pees moves on.

I've always wondered about Pepper's lack of advancement under Bill. I think he has a ceiling and position coach is it. Being a coordinator is a whole other kettle of fish, much like some great coordinators simply aren't equipped or built to be head coaches. If he wants it Bill won't stand in his way because he doesn't want frustrated coaches who feel they have maxed out on his staff because he fears those guys tend to become stale, but it might not be a great long term career move. Coughlin is on pretty thin ice in NY again, as he was up until the tail end of 2007... Because they extended him in the aftermath of that 12-4 2008 season and there is a lockout looming he won't be gone this season, but he could be after 2010 unless that team really gets it's act together. I think some of the veteran players on defense, and specifically Strahan, and a supurb young DC who hung around for a year until he saw Coughlin wasn't leaving, had a lot more to do with that team coming together than Coughlin did.

Maybe he felt he could have gone with Pioli or Josh had they not chosen to not raid the mother ship... Even to Atlanta. Everyone who leaves here is trying to replicate the system and run a 3-4 as well. But then again, Pioli still has a need and unless RAC is a given that would be a better landing place for Pepper unless Pioli had the same ceiling assessment. The Rat could have made a move on him but he never did either as far as I recall.

I've always wondered about Pepper's lack of advancement under Bill. I think he has a ceiling and position coach is it. Being a coordinator is a whole other kettle of fish, much like some great coordinators simply aren't equipped or built to be head coaches. If he wants it Bill won't stand in his way because he doesn't want frustrated coaches who feel they have maxed out on his staff because he fears those guys tend to become stale, but it might not be a great long term career move. Coughlin is on pretty thin ice in NY again, as he was up until the tail end of 2007... Because they extended him in the aftermath of that 12-4 2008 season and there is a lockout looming he won't be gone this season, but he could be after 2010 unless that team really gets it's act together. I think some of the veteran players on defense, and specifically Strahan, and a supurb young DC who hung around for a year until he saw Coughlin wasn't leaving, had a lot more to do with that team coming together than Coughlin did.

Maybe he felt he could have gone with Pioli or Josh had they not chosen to not raid the mother ship... Even to Atlanta. Everyone who leaves here is trying to replicate the system and run a 3-4 as well. But then again, Pioli still has a need and unless RAC is a given that would be a better landing place for Pepper unless Pioli had the same ceiling assessment. The Rat could have made a move on him but he never did either as far as I recall.

I agree completely. I've always thought of him in the same ranks of Dante and Fears.

This is sad news! Best to PJ though, I wish him well and I wouldn't blame him at all if he went for it. I just hope it's not a Peter Principle kind of move for him. BB seems to move the chess pieces around but he doesn't seem to "promote" coaches as it were, at least not in a major way? I could definitely be wrong on that one though, either way I hope PJ stays but BB will let him go with his blessing if that's what Pepper wants :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes