Welcome to PatsFans.com

"Nutty Newtella" - KoolAid Flavor of the Month

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Ok...it's official. Nutty Newt has replaced "Black Walnut" as the flavor of the month.

According to a CNN/ORC International Poll released Monday, 24% of Republicans and independents who lean towards the GOP say Romney is their most likely choice for their party's presidential nominee with Gingrich at 22%. Romney's two-point advantage is well within the survey's sampling error.

While the level of support has pretty much stayed the same for Romney, the former Massachusetts governor who's making his second bid for the White House, Gingrich has seen his support jump 14 points since October.

The poll also indicates that 14 percent back Cain, down 11 points from last month.

CNN Poll: Gingrich soars, Cain drops – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Unless Republicans are prepared to embrace anti-torture, anti-war pacifists Ron Paul or Jon Hunstman, they've just about run out of flavors.

Amazing how swiftly the taste of wife-cheating, ethics violating, check-kiting behavoiur has become palatable.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Either is better than the Tainted Acorn
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Newt is taking the lead now at 28%. I hope Newt is the GOP candidate. I am not sure a debate of Obama vs Romney will get at the heart of the issues enough. A debate of Newt vs Obama will be much better. Newt has skeletons but his grasp of the issues makes him a very strong candidate.

In the end I hope it's still Obama who wins but an Obama who perhaps grasps some of the good ideas from Newts platform. Newt scares the bajesus out of me about the same as McCain did. We need to scale back being the world's policeman.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 4 / -2

Newt is the flavor of the month sure, but as is the case with most elections like these, that'll change once the candidate is disected properly. When you're at 5 or 10%, no one talks about you, nevermind your problems. Cain's sexual harassment issues only came to the forefront once he became a front runner. Once Newt gets pub as a viable front runner, or potential nominee, his darker history will get discussed, and be his undoing. The guy not only has moral skeletons, he has ethical problems as well. His being out of politics for 15 years or so has buried those to some extent, as well as shelter an entire voting generation from being aware of them. They will be brought to the publics attention again, now that, or should Newt remain near the top of most polls. He won't be the nominee imo.

What helps players like Newt and Cain, is the bases dislike for Romney. I think more of them will come around once the dust settles, and those that don't, will be pacified by the selection of a VP that caters to them. Newt could possibly be that guy as VP. There's no question that Newt is extremely intelligent. Whether you agree with his personality, or his politics or not, the guy is clearly one of the smartest guys in the room. He thinks well on his feet, has a strong presence about him, and has a terrific command of all of the issues. The problem is, he's a scoundral (sp?) and imo a scumbag. He's the type of guy that you know is making backroom deals and pocketing cash. That's my personal judgement, and I'm usually a very good judge of charactor. I'm not infallable, but my hit meter is pretty darn good I think.
  5. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think that's where Cain has been positioning himself... Romney/Cain
  6. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm getting excited, sooner of later, RP will get his bump, and be the last one standing in a knock down battle against Romney.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +302 / 4 / -2

If I had to handicap it now, I'd say Romney is the nominee. Assuming that to be the case, who he picks as a running mate will be extremely critical to his chances. He has to find a running mate that both pacifies the base/tea party types that don't like him, and doesn't alienate independents. Lots of people I talk to who are middle right, middle, or left of center don't mind Romney. I hear the old "I could live with him" line more or less. That could change with the wrong choice as VP. The Palin affect so to speak. While Palin was extremely popular with the base, in the end she was reviled by middle of the roaders and anyone left. I'm not sure where Cain would land in that regard. I think options that pose some sort of benefit to the ticket are Newt, Cain, and Rubio. Newt would be great for the base, and competent for the campaign, but he might turn off middle voters and motivate the left. Cain would serve to appeal to the base, and would add an interesting element to the racial component of the election. Rubio is the popular choice, as he would be big with the base, good in Florida, and appeal to everyone's favorite target (and the fastest growing demographic in the country), latinos. Romney shouldn't pick someone too similar to himself. A Pawlenty, Huntsman, or similar boring moderate won't do. An exception might be Christie, although I'm not sure the right would be crazy about two northeast republicans from blue states representing their ticket.

One name that I heard the other day that I hadn't thought about before, is Paul Ryan. A Romney/Ryan ticket would have a lot of appeal I think. It might be too white for some people though. As if that should matter.
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +302 / 4 / -2

I wouldn't get too excited bud. Paul has no shot whatsoever. I like him personally, but he's not electable nationally.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

f-CK EVERYBODY
  10. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah -- as a white male, I'm sick of the "first person of this or that" to be elected to whatever.

Errr... hmmm.
  11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +302 / 4 / -2

Damn, PPP has Romney in third. I think we should call the election. :eek: In all seriousness, the "base" certainly isn't crazy about Romney, but they didn't like McLame either, and we know how that primary process played out. Nothing is guaranteed of course, but I don't see any of the pretender...ahem, I mean contenders :)D) winning the nomination. Romney has the coin to play his way through to the deeper primaries, and that might put him over the top should he need them. Time will tell though.
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

No doubt Newt is pulling a Palin to push his new book(s) when he got into this. Nowadays, the Pepsi Party is so discombopulated and beholdin to the hard-core Teabaggers they can't figure out what their message is. Suddenly Newt finds himself the front-runner and he might not like it.

Damn! So what happened to Cain? Goes to show how the Owners treat the help when they mess with their women.

Just sayin...

[​IMG]
  15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yeah, at one point he was goofing off in Greece so much that a big portion of his senior staff jumped ship. Lousy luck for them if you ask me.

I feel bad for all the 18 to 25 year olds who aren't paying attention now but have the age to be voters. Later in life they'll be more inclined to care and things will be back to their old boring ways. We are living in a uniquely interesting political time period.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +302 / 4 / -2

Just sayin what wistah?
  17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

The Tea Party activists seem to want anyone but Romney, but unfortunately for them the Tea Party leaders reflect their base, i.e., a bunch of bigots and idiots. My guess is that another candidate will emerge, and the Republicans will rush to back that person before that person can be discredited.

As Newt Gingrich surges, rivals raise questions about his temperament - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com

With Newt Gingrich emerging as serious contender, some Republicans are questioning his fitness for a general election campaign by seizing on comments the former speaker made in 2007 about Hispanics.

Making the case against bi-lingual education at a National Federation of Republican Women event, Gingrich said children should be taught "the language of prosperity, not the language of living in a ghetto."
  18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Seems to me Wistah was just expanding on the current Republi-speech analogy.

I mean, if you want someone to understand what you're saying, you've got to speak their own language, don't you?

Herman Cain 2012: 'I Left The Democrat Plantation A Long Time Ago'

Allen West Calls Rep. Maxine Waters A 'Plantation Overseer,' Then Sends His Brother To Her For Help | ThinkProgress

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-thomas-amendment-doom-page4.html#post2661459

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-another-pol-plays-race-card.html#post2576697

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/12/739840-disbar-thomas.html#post2493825

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...s-salary-severance-pay-page4.html#post2770930

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/12/813559-hows-racism.html#post2694962
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Newt will face issues with this short attention span voters who will be reminded often of his infidelity issues, particularly with a wife stricken with cancer.. he visited her after surgery for Cancer and asked for a divorce..

This candidate of family values is a fraud.. he also cheated on his second wife.. but now he is catholic, so all is better.

Then there were the ethics that forced him out of congress.. nice guy Newt, a true representative of the family values that the right espouse..
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Oh, no, didn't ya hear, Darryl? His daughter has come forward, all these long years later, and said, in effect, that her mother is a liar and that's not what happened at all.

Therefore, all is forgiven.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...out-last-nights-debate-page6.html#post2785788