PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nunn chose to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you have to show yourself to be a complete idiot and mention something like slavery when nothing of the sort was being talked about?

In the extreme, you are correct. If either of those two teams claimed Nunn and he didn't want to report, he could retire from football. But the team that claimed him would still have his rights.. And he'd not be allowed to play in the NFL until they relinquished them or he played for their team.

Im gonna take the high road here, Dabruins I request you put me ignore, I will be doing the same to you. Personal attacks are just silly. It seems that the larger the post count members have( and this is just a generalization no offense to other members) the more insulting they think they can be to others. My so called "slavery" reference was just pointing out that he had cleared waivers and we always have a choice in life even if that choice is just going home. Now I respectfully ask you to ignore me so this board want have to deal with your petty insults to me. That is all.

something else to consider

Nunn went undrafted and unsigned as an UDFA last year and to my knowledge was out of football for a year. The Pats gave him a shot last spring, the only team that did. If I were Nunn, I would think twice about going to a team that had no interest in me up to now, and might just be curious. At least with teh Pats he got to play some and is now familiar with the offense. As as he said, there are worse places to learn than from players like Moss, Welker and Galloway, and to have Tom Brady throw to you.

Thats a great point and Im sure that was a huge factor, at least it would have been with me.

something else to consider

Nunn went undrafted and unsigned as an UDFA last year and to my knowledge was out of football for a year. The Pats gave him a shot last spring, the only team that did. If I were Nunn, I would think twice about going to a team that had no interest in me up to now, and might just be curious. At least with teh Pats he got to play some and is now familiar with the offense. As as he said, there are worse places to learn than from players like Moss, Welker and Galloway, and to have Tom Brady throw to you.

Well put. I would guess that in most cases you're better off on the PS of the team you've been working with for the past several months. If nothing else, they're the most likely to activate you early because you're more prepared for their offense/defense.

I have always suspected that coaches make gentlemen's agreements with each other so that if they have to waive favorites, they can keep them on practice squads. It seems to me that we're always able to save someone we shouldn't be able to save.

As for people acting in their own best interests, that is obviously true, but much more complicated than it sounds. Money is only one of many elements in that equation. And often not the most important one.

Umm...then what percentage of it was the team's not fielding any outside WRs under age 32? Surely opportunity is one of the biggest factors in a decision like this. MAYBE even bigger than message board posts. ;)

Bingo. That was my immediate thought also.

Either Nunn is smart or he's getting very good advice from his agents.

Last edited:
Umm...then what percentage of it was the team's not fielding any outside WRs under age 32? Surely opportunity is one of the biggest factors in a decision like this. MAYBE even bigger than message board posts. ;)

Not to mention the fact that Nunn seems intelligent enough to figure out that another year being around and observing Tom Brady doesn't hurt his development and future as an NFL wide receiver.

Im gonna take the high road here, Dabruins I request you put me ignore, I will be doing the same to you. Personal attacks are just silly. It seems that the larger the post count members have( and this is just a generalization no offense to other members) the more insulting they think they can be to others. My so called "slavery" reference was just pointing out that he had cleared waivers and we always have a choice in life even if that choice is just going home. Now I respectfully ask you to ignore me so this board want have to deal with your petty insults to me. That is all.

Its always amazing when people who start the insults come back and claim they are going to take the high road when they are called out on it.

Your slavery reference was idiotic, insulting and done in extremely poor taste.

BTW, if you actually been following Nunn, you'd know that those two teams talked to him PRIOR to him clearing waivers..

I have always suspected that coaches make gentlemen's agreements with each other so that if they have to waive favorites, they can keep them on practice squads. It seems to me that we're always able to save someone we shouldn't be able to save.

I agree, which is why the Garrett Mills thing got ugly a few seasons back between BB and Brad Childress.

Newsflash anywhere he would have signed he would be an injury away from active. Do you have some info. Im not aware of because as far as we know he was offered a roster spot somewhere, we just dont know. We have good Wr depth so this aint exactly the best place to glom on. I can assure that after 1 training camp he isnt proficient in our playbook either, so I dont buy that argument at all.

We don't know he was offered a roster spot somewhere. We just know some teams had interest in him. If they wanted to add him to their roster they could have claimed him. Their interest was therefore in adding him to their PS, where players make a couple of hundred grand less than players on the roster. Since he completed camp here he knows a lot more about our offense than theirs (about which he knows zilch unless they are using the exact same terminology) and stands a greater chance at success if and/or when he is activated.

He didn't re sign here because fans loved him. He signed here because BB offered him a chance to.

Originally Posted by GullyFoyle View Post
Not exactly Lincoln put an end to that

Ummm.... for what it's worth, that's not exactly true.

To play the wag and fall back upon historical accuracy...

Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation only freed those slaves who resided in states still in rebellion against the Federal Government. There was no way to enforce the issue, regardless, until those states were occupied by Federal troops, and new governments installed.

In fact, it wasn't until the passage of the 13th Amendment in December 1865 that all slavery was abolished throughout the country, including areas such as New Jersey, Washington DC and Delaware...

Thus endeth the lesson.. :)

Last edited:
I agree, which is why the Garrett Mills thing got ugly a few seasons back between BB and Brad Childress.

Its hard to have a gentlemens agreement without both sides being gentlemen, Im looking at you Brad

Ummm.... for what it's worth, that's not exactly true.

To play the wag and fall back upon historical accuracy...

Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation only freed those slaves who resided in states still in rebellion against the Federal Government. There was no way to enforce the issue, regardless, until those states were occupied by Federal troops, and new governments installed.

In fact, it wasn't until the passage of the 13th Amendment in December 1865 that all slavery was abolished throughout the country, including areas such as New Jersey, Washington DC and Delaware...

I am well aware of history and was just being facetious. Lincoln couldnt have freed all the slaves anyways as he had no jurisdiction in the south in 1863. But of course that war was never about slavery anyway.

Its hard to have a gentlemens agreement without both sides being gentlemen, Im looking at you Brad

Then look no further than Tobias Funke's avatar. ;)

Good to hear Nunn chose to stay with us amid everything. I have high hopes for him in the future.

We don't know he was offered a roster spot somewhere. We just know some teams had interest in him. If they wanted to add him to their roster they could have claimed him. Their interest was therefore in adding him to their PS, where players make a couple of hundred grand less than players on the roster. Since he completed camp here he knows a lot more about our offense than theirs (about which he knows zilch unless they are using the exact same terminology) and stands a greater chance at success if and/or when he is activated.

He didn't re sign here because fans loved him. He signed here because BB offered him a chance to.

First off your first three sentences are exactly what I had said. I think you are disagreeing just to be disagreeable. I never said he signed here because of the love I said it might have been 10% of the reason. Thats a whopping 90% other reasons. I think you are taking his knowledge of our system a little bit too far. He is still just a babe in the woods here. The only thing to be considered about that is the comfort factor,as in hes here now why leave. To think he doesnt read his own press(yes we are the press as well) is naive

I really, really doubt that Patsfans had anything to do with Nunn's decision.

The 13th amendment was ratified when the 27th state legislature (of the then 36 states) adopted it, giving it 3/4 acceptance. Both NJ and Delaware
had initially rejected the amendment in early 1865 and Delaware didn't ratify it until 1901!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------
sorry for going OT
  1. New Jersey (January 23, 1866, after having rejected it on March 16, 1865
  2. Delaware (February 12, 1901, after having rejected it on February 8, 1865)

Last edited:
The 13th amendment was ratified when the 27th state legislature (of the then 36 states) adopted it, giving it 3/4 acceptance. Both NJ and Delaware
had initially rejected the amendment in early 1865 and Delaware didn't ratify it until 1901!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------
sorry for going OT
  1. New Jersey (January 23, 1866, after having rejected it on March 16, 1865
  2. Delaware (February 12, 1901, after having rejected it on February 8, 1865)

Lincoln was made of glass.

.......what???? Too soon?

Lincoln was made of glass.

.......what???? Too soon?

LOL! :D

As far as Nunn goes, maybe he'll be our "unknown yesterday, contributor this season, major piece of the puzzle within 2 seasons" type of guy. Heck, I hope he turns out to have a long and amazing career as long as he's apart of the Patriots. Maybe he'll fill the void never filled by Chad Jackson, on a very general level.

So what's his battle cry going to be?
"All for Nunn and Nunn for all"

or

"Nunn shall pass (or actually receive in this case)"

monty-python-and-the-holy-grail1.jpg

Nunn is legit..... glad he cleared waivers. He has a good attitude and he seems determined to be part of this team. Nothing wrong w/ a little competition in the system. Tate/ Nunn will be solid receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes