PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Numbers that paint a picture (request+analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriplecHamp

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Time to talk football, I was hoping somebody on here would have a few stats that I think will tell the story of this game.

Outside of your traditional, score, yards, T.O.P, turnovers etc. I think this game will come down to a few statistics that aren't readily available to your average football fan.

1) Yards after contact: its been well reported that the two most productive backs after contact will be playing in this game but what about the defenses? Seattle and New England are touted as two of the best tackling teams in football but both offenses have needed to make plays after contact to keep their seasons alive. We remember Amendola breaking a tackle on third down to pick up a critical 1st and Edleman doing the same thing in the Baltimore game. Seattle's secondary is much better at getting guys to the ground quickly after they allow a catch. Does anybody have a stat on how where both teams sit in allowing yards after contact?

2) Average distance on 3rd down: This one is absolutely critical IMO. Neither team can afford to be facing too many 3rd and 6+. New England are much better equipped to pick up a 3rd and intermediate but from what I've seen of Seattle the last 3 years, they present a tremendous challenge anytime they are in 3rd and <4. A state on conversion % will do a lot to paint a better picture of how these teams will stack up on the critical downs.

3) Average starting field position: This one ties into T.O.P as well but we got some great field position against Indy and some not so great against Baltimore. Won both games but obviously the great field position helps. Seattle doesn't have a great return game without Richardson (who wasn't "great" to begin with) but they do get help in the turnover department.

*disclaimer that all "analysis" is from my eyes only. I watched every playoff game only once outside of the Baltimore NFLN game rewind. Correct me if Im wrong in any of my recollection.

A minor anomaly of a stat I just found: The last time Haushka, the Seahawks kicker, player in Arizona was week 16 this year, and he missed all three field goal attempts, despite making 31/34 in all other games. Granted they were from 52, 50, and 47 yards, so were no gimmes, but hopefully that memory sticks in his craw a little bit. A missed field goal could end up being the difference in this one.

2) Average distance on 3rd down: This one is absolutely critical IMO. Neither team can afford to be facing too many 3rd and 6+. New England are much better equipped to pick up a 3rd and intermediate but from what I've seen of Seattle the last 3 years, they present a tremendous challenge anytime they are in 3rd and <4. A state on conversion % will do a lot to paint a better picture of how these teams will stack up on the critical downs.
Looking on Pro Football Reference, they have SEA converting 40/55 (29 rush, 11 pass) times on 3rd & 1-4 this year. For 3rd & 4-6, they're 22/47 (6 rush, 16 pass). 3rd & 7-9, 20/52 (1 rush, 19 pass). 3rd & 10+, 15/71 (4 rush, 11 pass).

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back