PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Number of preseason games

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgecy

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Since the Portis injury this topic is once back into the spotlight. How many preseason games do you think we should play? I think two should be good enough, four really is two too many. It exposes too many players to injury, and frankly, it's too long and it gets boring after 4 weeks of not being able to see our starters on the field.

edgecy said:
Since the Portis injury this topic is once back into the spotlight. How many preseason games do you think we should play? I think two should be good enough, four really is two too many. It exposes too many players to injury, and frankly, it's too long and it gets boring after 4 weeks of not being able to see our starters on the field.

Yeah I think two would be enough as well and now the Vikings have lost their #1 pick Chad Greenway for the season on kickoff coverage WOW and the hits just keep on coming.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...6/08/15/bc.fbn.vikings.greenway.ap/index.html

edgecy said:

There was a time when the NFL played six preseason games and then a 14-game regular season. Some teams even had seven (!) preseason games if they played the Hall of Fame game. My preference would be to forego preseason games entirely and maybe have a couple controlled scrimmages with other teams during training camp. The problem is that I doubt the owners would be willing to do without the income from preseason games, which gives them an excuse to charge full ticket value (plus parking, concessions) for 10 home games instead of eight. Another option would be to have two preseason games and an 18-game regular season, but I think that's too many games at full speed when you factor in playoffs. So, I don't see the present system changing. I think the only real solution is for coaches to treat preseason games as scrimmages and protect key starters from injury (full contact) as much as possible. But every year, without fail, teams lose starters to injury during the preseason. That's why I always hold my breath during preseason games.

When the NFL reduced preseason games from 6 to 4, they increased the regular season from 14 to 16 games. And as Tunescribe points out, the owners will want to recoup any lost revenue from reducing the preseason further and the obvious way is to increase the number of regular season games.

Naturally, starters are more likely to get hurt in a regular season game where their apt to be on the field more. Perhaps getting hurt in a regular season game is more noble than a meaningless preseason game but the attrition rate would remain painfully high.

Whether the preseason is reduced or not, a rule change that is sorely needed is the expansion of the 53 man roster. By the time we roll into Dec/Jan, the most healthy team is almost as important as the most talented team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldnt mind if we atleats drop one preseason game. The first preseason game you pretty much see what all your drafties and FA's can do. The 2nd preseason you fix the mistakes the that took place in the first game. Then you have the final tuneup and are ready to go.

My dream scenario is 2 preseason games and 17 regular season games, the additional game being a annual interconference rivalry game (Jets/Giants, Eagles/Steelers, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back