Welcome to PatsFans.com

Now What?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Still think deportation shouldn't be decided on a case-by-case basis?

Antonio Díaz Chacón went from an ordinary New Mexican to a hero in a flash after saving a 6-year-old girl from getting kidnapped in Albuquerque.

Díaz Chacón, who saw the girl thrown into a van as another neighbor yelled for the would-be kidnapper to let the child go, chased the van through a maze of neighborhoods to the edge of where Albuquerque's sprawling housing developments meet the desert.

It was there where the van crashed into a pole, the suspect fled and Díaz Chacón was able to rescue the girl and take her home.

He didn't think twice about his actions.

"The way he grabbed her and threw her into the van, I knew it wasn't right," he said, as a swarm of media stood outside his home Tuesday night to hear his story.

The events were interpreted and relayed from Spanish to English by his wife.

"I knew I had to catch him. I had to get the girl back from him and take her home, back where she belongs," he said.

Phillip García, 29, had snatched the girl moments earlier, taking her away in a blue van, police said.

Díaz Chacón jumped in his black pickup and gave chase.

It wasn't until the van crashed and the driver got out that any sense of fear set in for Díaz Chacón.

"When he got down I was thinking, what if he has a gun," he said.

García fled on foot, and Díaz Chacón reached the girl and told her he would take her home.

García then returned to his wrecked van and took off but was later captured by police, authorities said.

Hidden under a rock just 25 feet from the van was packing tape and a tie-down strap, police said.

Inside the impounded van were tostadas, (toasts) a glove, a Leatherman tool, a black satchel, orange strapping similar to the strap found hidden under the rock, police said.

"This little girl was very lucky," police Sgt. Tricia Hoffman said. "We can only guess what would have happened to this child."

"Throughout the county we see situations like this and they do not end typically well," she said.

Police were among those who called Díaz Chacón a hero.

One of his daughters even shared the news about her dad's heroic actions with friends at school on Tuesday.

Díaz Chacón said he was proud to help. While he was chasing the van, he said, he thought of his own two girls — one 7 years old, the other 5 months — and how he would want someone to do the same for him.

"I told him 'I don't know how you could do it, just go after him, not knowing where he's going, what he's going to do?" his wife said. "But he saved a life."

Read more: Albuquerque Man Saves Girl, 6, From Kidnapping | Fox News Latino

An Albuquerque, N.M., man who saved a 6-year-old girl from kidnapping earlier this week has admitted he is an illegal immigrant. But the city went ahead with its plans to declare Friday Antonio Diaz Chacon Day, in honor of the man, and Mayor Richard Berry presented Diaz Chacon with a plaque honoring him for heroism at an afternoon ceremony.

In an interview with the Spanish-language Univision TV network this week, Diaz Chacon, who’s married to an American and has two daughters, revealed he was a Mexican citizen who had been living in the United States illegally for the past four years, the Associated Press reports.

"I came to work, to work hard," he told Univision. "The only problem is I entered the country illegally and now we can't afford a lawyer to file the immigration papers."

Immigration reform advocates have seized upon Diaz Chacon as an example of the kind of undocumented worker whose rights should be expanded. Christina Parker, a spokeswoman for Border Network for Human Rights in El Paso, told the AP: "As exceptional as his story is, it points to the fact that most undocumented immigrants living in the United States are not criminals. He's more than not a criminal now. He's a hero."

Illegal immigrant hailed as a hero
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +493 / 2 / -9

Whoopi Doo...............
  3. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +506 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Yeah, it is a great human story.

I guess the question is: does a heroic deed nullify illegal activity? That's really what we're getting at right?

I'll support amnesty for illegals when the government gives me the $20k that I had to spend to go through ******* years of jumping through hoops to get my wife into this country LEGALLY.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

By that measure the US is one of the least fair countries, for here people can get ahead because they happen to be in the right place at the right time. Maybe they work for a company that happens to have a great IPO; maybe they happen to own a condo in an area that is suddenly gentrified; maybe they happen to win the lottery; maybe they happen to end up on a career path that turns out to be lucrative; maybe they happen to be at an age where they can get in on the ground floor (such as people my age who were into technology), etc. Our system is not naturally fair, but it does afford everybody some degree of opportunity. If you want greater fairness, you probably have to look at the social democracies of Europe (which aren't perfect either).
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +385 / 5 / -2

Just open up the borders so we can resemble mexico.

So an illegal alien did a good deed. Awesome. Should I start posting all the tragedy, violence, crime, etc caused by different individual illegals? If I did, how long would it be before I were called a racist by the intellectually challenged? The point isn't about an individual among tens of millions. It's about the problem overall.
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, sure Patters. That explains why literally millions of people are doing anything and everything they can to break into our country and live here. It's because we're one of the "least fair countries." :rolleyes:
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Libs do keep saying how racist and nasty we are yet that doesn't deter people from wanting to come here. People are voting with their feet.
  8. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -2

How does any of that equate to unfairness? Fairness means equal opportunity, imo.

And even if you disagree, "one of the least fair countries"?
  9. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -2

Keep denying that racism exists if it makes you feel better.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +385 / 5 / -2

I don't see where he denied racism exists. I think we all know it does. For some though, it's the explanation for everyone that disagrees with them.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +385 / 5 / -2

...least fair countries...:rolleyes:
  12. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -2

He has a problem with libs pointing it out. I would take that to mean he either thinks it doesn't exist or, if it does, it shouldn't be spoken of. The latter would actually be worse than ignorance of its existence.
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +493 / 2 / -9

To the blame America crowd Reality Is Racism.

Does anybody ever try to sneak out of America.

One Illegal Is A Hero so we should open our hearts and wallets to the other 12 million.............:confused::confused:

ILLEGAL ALIENS ARE CRIMINALS THEY BROKE THE LAW OF THE COUNTRY THEY ILLEGALLY SNUCK INTO.

IF SOMEBODY SNEAKS INTO YOUR HOME IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT DO YOU KISS HIS ASS AND TAKE CARE OF HIM IF YOU DO YOU BELONG IN A MENTAL INSTITUTION.
  14. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +506 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Please Patters. I didn't just fall off the apple cart. One of the least fair countries? Have you ever been to a non-Western country?