PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Now we need a lardbutt DT

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why BB gets paid the big bucks. Honestly I have no idea what we do. Look forward to seeing what he does though.

I'm 5'10, 170 but I do get 5 guys cravings rather often and should be able to put on enough weight

The reality is that lard-butt's are a luxury we cannot afford. We need every 45-man spot available to make sure our STs are strong and we have depth at critical spots like cornerback and linebacker. Lardbutts cannot play special teams so to make the roster they need to be really good at what they do. Furthermore, thanks to the prevalance of no-huddle offenses, you can't leave them in the game unless it is basically goal-to-go, otherwise the opposition will just keep the lard-butt on the field until he dies of heat stroke.

I would say the chances of us finding a lard-butt off the street who will be so good in situational short-yardage football that he off-sets those roster/snap issues is remarkably low. The answer is more likely a heavier dose of Spikes instead of Hightower (or Arrington) and a potential hit to our pass defense, depending on the matchup.

Not much help now but:
KFFL - 2014 NFL Free Agents

Quite a bit of help there potentially for next season:
Alan Branch
Arthur Jones
Linval Joseph
Brett Keisel
Ropati Pitoitua
Paul Soliai
Randy Starks
Kevin Williams

Few will come fairly cheap, few will require decent money.

Vince is probably going to be asked to take a pay cut or sign an extension lowering his cap number ($11.6m cap hit according to Over The Cap) coming off a major injury. Another to look out for is Logan Mankins with a $10.5m cap hit - does his play really warrant that much money?

Mankins is really playing like an average Guard, I am sure Dante Scar can find or groom a jag Guard into what Mankins is now which is average.:snob:

I love the hustle of the two youngsters, but we can't afford to just get pushed around in short yardage and that's what is going to happen. Whether we have to give up a low round pick (horrors) or just pay a bit short term, I think there's too much to lose on a defense that's looking great otherwise.

We don't need an all around player, or a player for the future, just a player to stop us from getting gouged in situations. Thoughts?

BB will do what he thinks is best. He has used vet patches before, generally in TC, but he really needs a full draft of premium picks this upcoming off season.

DT #1; OL #2; TE#3 or Secondary #3.

The reality is that lard-butt's are a luxury we cannot afford. We need every 45-man spot available to make sure our STs are strong and we have depth at critical spots like cornerback and linebacker. Lardbutts cannot play special teams so to make the roster they need to be really good at what they do. Furthermore, thanks to the prevalance of no-huddle offenses, you can't leave them in the game unless it is basically goal-to-go, otherwise the opposition will just keep the lard-butt on the field until he dies of heat stroke.

I would say the chances of us finding a lard-butt off the street who will be so good in situational short-yardage football that he off-sets those roster/snap issues is remarkably low. The answer is more likely a heavier dose of Spikes instead of Hightower (or Arrington) and a potential hit to our pass defense, depending on the matchup.

You don't see anyone on our roster who might do just as well on the practice squad, or maybe slip in the shower? Look hard, now.

BB will do what he thinks is best. He has used vet patches before, generally in TC, but he really needs a full draft of premium picks this upcoming off season.

DT #1; OL #2; TE#3 or Secondary #3.

We're 4-1 this season.

Mankins is really playing like an average Guard, I am sure Dante Scar can find or groom a jag Guard into what Mankins is now which is average.:snob:

Been saying that for 2+ years now on this board.

Still think McCullers but Shamar Stephen interesting out of UConn: 6-5, 323 lbs.
McCullers maybe the most overrated prospect in the 2014 NFL Draft. Furthermore, I have soured on the 2014 defensive tackle draft class altogether.

They haven't instituted the retroactive draft, have they?
Don't kid yourself. You are not going to find an adequate replacement for Vince Wilfork this season.

McCullers maybe the most overrated prospect in the 2014 NFL Draft. Furthermore, I have soured on the 2014 defensive tackle draft class altogether.

That's a stretch on McCullers when he's generally thought of as a late second early third rounder. But agree on the DT class as a whole.

That's a stretch on McCullers when he's generally thought of as a late second early third rounder. But agree on the DT class as a whole.
I was unimpressed with McCullers against Georgia this past weekend.

Don't kid yourself. You are not going to find an adequate replacement for Vince Wilfork this season.

You're not going to find an adequate replacement for him next season either. Maybe 4-5 years down the road, if you get lucky in the draft.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm only interested in this season, the next game, as a matter of fact.

Is this guy available?

Attachments

• Fat Bastard.jpg
    Fat Bastard.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 30
Not much help now but:
KFFL - 2014 NFL Free Agents

Quite a bit of help there potentially for next season:
Alan Branch
Arthur Jones
Linval Joseph
Brett Keisel
Ropati Pitoitua
Paul Soliai
Randy Starks
Kevin Williams

Few will come fairly cheap, few will require decent money.

Vince is probably going to be asked to take a pay cut or sign an extension lowering his cap number ($11.6m cap hit according to Over The Cap) coming off a major injury. Another to look out for is Logan Mankins with a $10.5m cap hit - does his play really warrant that much money?

Don't confuse Cap Hit with Salary. Vince's SALARY is 7.5 Million. Mankins SALARY is 6.5 Million. That means that Vince had 3.8Million that is there regardless and Mankins has 4 million that is there, regardless.

It should also be noted that the cap numbers are only an INCREASE of 1M and 500K respectively.

And yes, BOTH are worth it..

Been saying that for 2+ years now on this board.

And you have been wrong for 2+ years. That hasn't changed regardless of what you and Patsfan2 have to say..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes