PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Now we find out how serious the Mini camp injuries were

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As far as I can tell these were the guys injured during mini-camp. It is pretty appalling to lose so many in such a short camp. The Patriots did rip up the nasty turf after camp; I guess they were disgusted too but they should done this before camp:mad: Really bad move by the Patriots. Three of their draft picks; that is totally unacceptable.

Now we get to find out how serious the injuries are. If these guys are on the sideline or on the bike instead of the field then we can be pretty sure that the injuries were serious.

Ebert -- Leg Inury
Jonathan Fanene -- Left knee / MRI
Chandler Jones -- Right knee
Dennard -- Left leg
Wes Welker -- Right leg
Sterling Moore -- Right knee/lower leg

Plus these other guys left practice; not sure if they were injured or there was some other issue:
Eric Kettani ?
Vince Wilfork ?
Cunningham?

Chandler seems pretty injury prone.

I hope he doesn't have a Shawn Crable-like career. (i.e.. always injured)

As far as I can tell these were the guys injured during mini-camp. It is pretty appalling to lose so many in such a short camp. The Patriots did rip up the nasty turf after camp; I guess they were disgusted too but they should done this before camp:mad: Really bad move by the Patriots. Three of their draft picks; that is totally unacceptable.

Now we get to find out how serious the injuries are. If these guys are on the sideline or on the bike instead of the field then we can be pretty sure that the injuries were serious.

Ebert -- Leg Inury
Dennard -- Left leg
Wes Welker -- Right leg

Plus these other guys left practice; not sure if they were injured or there was some other issue:
Eric Kettani ?
Vince Wilfork ?
Cunningham?
WTF are you talking about. Link?

Last edited by a moderator:
Speculation, Fred? If not, linky dinky would be most wonderful.

Chandler seems pretty injury prone.

I hope he doesn't have a Shawn Crable-like career. (i.e.. always injured)

He played in all the games his Jr and So yr. He got hurt Sr yr. He came back. Not sure that qualifies as injury prone.

Speculation, Fred? If not, linky dinky would be most wonderful.

These were all based off various mini-camp reports by various reporters of varying veracity.
For instance it does not appear that "Richie" Cunningham did many drills if any at mini-camp so the speculation was he was injured

Now we find out if the injuries were serious or even real

So....the Patriots were negligent in using bad turf, which may or may not have caused injuries which may or may not be serious and which may or may not be real injuries in the first place?

That run-on sentence about sums it up, I guess.

Ebert -- Leg Inury
Dennard -- Left leg
Wes Welker -- Right leg

Eric Kettani ?
Vince Wilfork ?
Cunningham?

I don't know why you felt compelled to dredge this up, but it's worth noting that Ebert was the only drafted rookie who failed his physical. Jones and Dennard both passed.

I don't know why you felt compelled to dredge this up, but it's worth noting that Ebert was the only drafted rookie who failed his physical. Jones and Dennard both passed.

Excellent!! Then they clearly are not injured. Do you know if they ran or they are just not on the list of guys who failed?

I am sure that we'll know more in the coming days/weeks ahead, but there is still plenty of time before the season opener. Another positive is that we likely would have heard some rumors and rumblings about the severity of an injury or two, if that were the case.

Some of those injuries may have been nothing more than cautiousness and playing things on the safe side.

As far as the 'turf theory,' is this just your own personal speculation, or was there an article or comments in regards to poor turf? The NEP would appear to be the kind of team that would not risk unnecessary problems due to the appearance/situation of their turf. Belichick would likely have drummed up a practice at a local elementary school before he would take that kind of risk, at least in my opinion.

As far as the 'turf theory,' is this just your own personal speculation, or was there an article or comments in regards to poor turf? The NEP would appear to be the kind of team that would not risk unnecessary problems due to the appearance/situation of their turf. Belichick would likely have drummed up a practice at a local elementary school before he would take that kind of risk, at least in my opinion.

Informed guess. There were guys limping off that field every day but the clincher was that the day after mini camp ended the Patriots announced that they were pulling up the turf and replacing it with FieldTurf; that seems like a clincher to me. It was an insane number of injuries in a non-contact camp.

As far as risk taking the NEP seem to have the same macho BS as a lot of coaches have (and some of the posters here have): "Suck it up and play on the green asphalt". Parcells was one of the worst in this regard and refused to believe that the AstroCrap at the Meadowlands was causing problems until Vinnie Testaverde blew out his achilles just by dropping back to pass--no contact. They ripped up the green crap then but it took the loss of a key player to do it. Why don't these knuckleheads rip up the turf beforehand? It seems they are insensitive to beating players take on each play.

Just watch what happens when a player hits the turf when going fast. On grass they slide but on turf it grabs the body and yanks it around and burns the flesh.

I am sure that we'll know more in the coming days/weeks ahead, but there is still plenty of time before the season opener. Another positive is that we likely would have heard some rumors and rumblings about the severity of an injury or two, if that were the case.

Some of those injuries may have been nothing more than cautiousness and playing things on the safe side.

I suspect that you are right about them being cautious...at least I hope so.

We will know shortly. The Patriots are highly secretive about injuries and the reporters are lame on the issue but there is one thing that the Patriots cannot fake and that is who is on the field for practice and who is not.

Roster's were at 90 this season and players were given extra time off per the CBA so I don't think the number of guys leaving the field was unusual in a non contact mini camp given quite a few of them were tweeks and pulls that most of them seem to have recovered from. As someone else mentioned, Jones and Dennard obviously passed their physical and conditioning test, Welker spent most of late June and early July running and mountain biking around Colorado.

There will probably be several guys not on the field when full camp opens and it will have nothing to do with mini camp. It will have to do with them still recovering from injuries they incurred last season and/or surgeries they had this off season and being monitored and assessed by the medical staff so they remain PUP eligible until they are convinced they 100% . If you need something to worry about, worry about them.

Is Ebert the fat one or the bald one? Also, how's Brady's shoulder these days -- that's what really worries me...

Roster's were at 90 this season and players were given extra time off per the CBA so I don't think the number of guys leaving the field was unusual in a non contact mini camp given quite a few of them were tweeks and pulls that most of them seem to have recovered from. As someone else mentioned, Jones and Dennard obviously passed their physical and conditioning test, Welker spent most of late June and early July running and mountain biking around Colorado.

Do we know for sure that Jone and Dennard ran? Or did they get a pass because of an injury? I assume that they ran but just being cautious here

I don't live near Dartmouth. Can anyone confirm how often the sky falls there?

It seems that it happens a lot but maybe it's just at a certain location in Dartmouth where the sky falls.:rolleyes:

As a backseat driver with zero insight and too many opinions, maybe they cut minicamp short due to the practice turf.
I do believe Kraft liked to film his videos with the old turf as his backdrop...the turf color matched the green in his wallet

Last edited:
The air around Padanaram contains some potent gases :D

Do we know for sure that Jone and Dennard ran? Or did they get a pass because of an injury?

Fred, did you just suggest that the players got a freebie, automatically being declared fit to play without passing their physicals, because they were too injured to take the physical? :confused: That would be like automatically passing the vision test to get a driver's license on grounds of blindness.

(The conditioning run isn't just a motivational tool, it's part of the physical exam you take to demonstrate that you're ready to safely participate in the rigors of training.)

Informed guess. There were guys limping off that field every day but the clincher was that the day after mini camp ended the Patriots announced that they were pulling up the turf and replacing it with FieldTurf; that seems like a clincher to me. It was an insane number of injuries in a non-contact camp.

As far as risk taking the NEP seem to have the same macho BS as a lot of coaches have (and some of the posters here have): "Suck it up and play on the green asphalt". Parcells was one of the worst in this regard and refused to believe that the AstroCrap at the Meadowlands was causing problems until Vinnie Testaverde blew out his achilles just by dropping back to pass--no contact. They ripped up the green crap then but it took the loss of a key player to do it. Why don't these knuckleheads rip up the turf beforehand? It seems they are insensitive to beating players take on each play.

Just watch what happens when a player hits the turf when going fast. On grass they slide but on turf it grabs the body and yanks it around and burns the flesh.

Fred, do you piss in your own coffee every morning when you get up?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye