PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Now Tim Tebow wants out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
what we as a fanbase do NOT need is the legion of Tebowites logging on here and declaring themselves Patriots fan now...like they did with the poor Jet fans...that was horrible (or tremendous depending on your perspective)

They're all Gator fans that have a cult-like worship for the man. Can't blame them. The things that he did for the university were awesome.

yeah...uh...can you imagine the chaos here the first time one of these nitwits come up with "well, I think Timmy is a far better runner than Brady and Bill should give him the chance to prove himself"...I'd pull a Socrates..."bartender?....one Hemlock straight up, please..."

yeah...uh...can you imagine the chaos here the first time one of these nitwits come up with "well, I think Timmy is a far better runner than Brady and Bill should give him the chance to prove himself"...I'd pull a Socrates..."bartender?....one Hemlock straight up, please..."

i think teboww is more acurat then tim brody

They're all Gator fans that have a cult-like worship for the man. Can't blame them. The things that he did for the university were awesome.

Hey I resemble that remark!

I have a 3 year old German Shepard named Tebow.

But I would not want him on the Patriots, I prefer to remember him as a Gator. I think he'd be a great CFL QB, where you throw in to wide open spaces like the offense he ran in college.

I do feel bad for him that some people want to diminish his college career because of his lack if success so far in the NFL.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

But I would not want him on the Patriots, I prefer to remember him as a Gator. I think he'd be a great CFL QB, where you throw in to wide open spaces like the offense he ran in college.

I do feel bad for him that some people want to diminish his college career because of his lack if success so far in the NFL.

Weren't you the guy that I used to debate with over whether or not he would be a good NFL quarterback? ;)

He looked pretty good to me under McDaniel's offense in 2010. Played mainly under center in his first starts in 2010 and showed he could make every throw from the pocket too, averaging 10 yards per attempt which was insane. Tebow's career got off track when Josh got fired and came back here, imo.

This was Tebow in 2010: 2010 Week 16 - Tim Tebow downfield completions vs. Texans - YouTube

Some passes are a bit high, but watch that and then tell me he can't make throws from the pocket. Some of his throws are actually really impressive. Not to mention, if you think he's accurate from the run, how can you think he can't do the same thing standing in the pocket? What human being is more accurate throwing while running than standing still? Come on now. That defies logic.

Why is it everytime I hear arguments about Tebow, pro or against, someone ends up defying logic? It's not Tebow that's been defying anything, it's the observers.:D

Struck me watching that video how much Lloyd was central to that performance. Add in Gaffney who we've dabbled with and Aaron Hernandez and of course McDaniels, and the potential synergy is apparent. Of course it's not entirely relevant because he wouldn't be throwing the ball here but even so, there'd be a mutual comfort level for both the Pats and Tebow if he came here.

But think how awesome it would be having a dog making that kind of money for you.

:D

Weren't you the guy that I used to debate with over whether or not he would be a good NFL quarterback? ;)

Yes, and I think after his rookie year he's been poorly coached. He's most likely too far gone now to be a good NFL starter.

Nobody here is talking about limiting Tebow to anything. Tebow limited himself. Again, those guys that you have mentioned such as Kaepernick and RGIII have shown that they are more capable of going through their progressions and delivering accurate throws from inside the pocket. Tebow has not shown an improvement in going through his progressions (look at that possession the either night if you want more proof of that) yet and his accuracy is spotty at the very best. Spread option or not, a quarterback needs to effectively go through his progressions from inside the pocket and find an open receiver if his primary is doubled or locked down. I haven't seen any evidence that remotely suggest that Tebow has improved.

As for the spread option, you might be right. But it's still a relatively new "phenomenon" in the NFL. There have been offensive systems that have come and gone before. We'll see what happens with it.

Ok I have to break this down..with gifs..because I thought that video was a pretty good example that goes against your nitpickings. Sorry for the size because I needed the length to make my points:D

I truly, truly believe there IS a middle ground on Tebow if people would just start using some common sense. It really isn't as black and white as people are making it out to be. He's inconsistent. That's all. That's where these extremes come from. He's been both as good as some say he has been and as bad as you are saying he has been. That is the truth. He has been both.

Original video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnEuisuFFM8

First, progressions: 3:10. It's 3rd & 9 with Tebow in shotgun.
TebowSpreadLong2%2528LQ%2529.gif

He snaps, play action fake, drops back, looks left, nobody open, scans the middle, doesn't have anything, finally scrambles to the right, makes a quick move to reset his feet(this is what I like about him cause he still steps into it) and completes a perfect pass outside along the right sidelines for a huge first down. And this was back in 2010. Is that not going through his progressions? To me, he's going through his progressions.

The spread option dual rush QB effect: Notice #30. He sticks with Lloyd as long as Tebow's scanning. The moment Tebow starts scrambling, he gives up on Lloyd to try and stop Tebow's rush and comes back towards the line of scrimmage, leaving Lloyd wide open to an easy, but still accurate, pass over the top and the Texans give up a 1st down on 3rd and 9. Easy money. This is the type of stuff these college kids are doing to earn their paychecks this year.

Deep Ball. At 1:29. 1st and 10. Tebow's under center.
TebowBombLong%2528LQ%2529.gif

Takes the snap, play action, drops back, steps into the throw and without hesitation places a 47 yard bomb over the top of 2 defenders, with the 3rd closing in. Ball has a nice spiral on it, it's a damn nice pass and a far cry from the "he can't throw" label that has been placed on him. How many times have we seen Sanchise underthrow or overthrow these?

In the pocket. At 2:20. 1st & 10. Tebow's under center.
TebowPocket2Long%2528LQ360%2529.gif

Takes the snap, play action, steps up and into the pocket, steps into the throw and delivers a perfect pass to Lloyd over the linebacker and DB, but underneath the 2 DB's coming down to help. He stays in that pocket and takes a huge hit on the play. The ball's a bit high, which is something I have noticed he does, but in this situation, it was probably the right move to get it up and over the first 2 defenders. This to me is a beautiful play and another NFL caliber throw. Three out of 4 times Mark Sanchez would throw an interception on this play.

On the run. 3:48. It's 2nd and 10. Tebow's under center.
TebowRollout2%2528LQ%2529.gif

Takes the snap. Texans rush 3. He fakes the handoff, pocket is collapsing, he has pressure from 3 sides and with a defender in his face he makes a Tebow type throw that makes you go wow. You're right about this. He's very good on the run. Not a lot of guys in the NFL can twist his body while running that fast to overcome momentum and deliver this throw. 100% of the time Sanchez throws a pick on this play:D

The point is if you understand the difference between a spread option QB, and a pocket passer, then having to complete passes from the pocket is not as big of a requirement for these guys. However, he can do this as well. But they make their money by being placed in the pistol/shotgun, extending plays and often scrambling to pass like in that first example. The most conservative anyone should ever try to be with Tebow is to let him play like Ben. But he still works much better in the spread option, cause he can run much better than Ben.

All I'm saying is I have seen this kid do everything that is required of him to be an NFL QB. He's just not been consistent with it and has yet to be placed in a full fledged spread option offense with an OC who can actually take advantage of him. Again, I'm not saying he can be elite, but I think I have seen enough of him doing things like above to know for a fact he's a far cry from the "can't throw" labels people love to throw at him. No pun intended.

The above is the difference in having an offensive coordinator like McDaniels in 2010 who can really mix in everything that you can do with Tebow and what he did with Fox and McCoy(mainly read option plays) or Rex and Sparano(wildcat only).

Ok I have to break this down..with gifs..

Great post, thanks for the GIFs.

But ... did anyone else literally laugh out loud at Lloyd going to the ground immediately after catching every single pass there? We know the drill now.

Nice addition to the team, and I'm sure part of it is his own protection, but a very distinct habit he has there.

Last edited:
Great post, thanks for the GIFs.

But ... did anyone else literally laugh out loud at Lloyd going to the ground immediately after catching every single pass there? We know the drill now.

Nice addition to the team, and I'm sure part of it is his own protection, but a very distinct habit he has there.

Sure but look at the plays. It's either a stop pattern with 4 guys encircling and getting ready to clobber him with nowhere to run, or on the sideline where he has to fall backwards to catch it.

It's not really Lloyd's fault....but I get what you are saying.;)

Actually looking at it again, that first one you are right. There really was no reason Lloyd should have fallen back like that other than that DB coming up to hit him but he had enough room. He could have caught that one standing up and inbounds and tried to make a move to get by him. The other I don't blame him. 4 guys getting ready to take my head off, I'd go down too.

Last edited:
Sure but look at the plays. It's either a stop pattern with 4 guys encircling and getting ready to clobber him with nowhere to run, or on the sideline where he has to fall backwards to catch it.

It's not really Lloyd's fault....but I get what you are saying.;)

Actually looking at it again, that first one you are right. There really was no reason Lloyd should have fallen back like that other than that DB coming up to hit him but he had enough room. He could have caught that one standing up and inbounds and tried to make a move to get by him. The other I don't blame him. 4 guys getting ready to take my head off, I'd go down too.

I definitely have learned to respect guys like Moss and Welker who know how to get down before getting hit too hard. You can't help your team by getting injured. It's amazing how they learn to do that at such a high speed. And I'd add Brady's duck move to the category. Just something about the way lloyd does it.

Anyway, on topic ... nice job by Tebow on those plays. Better than I would have thought.

I definitely have learned to respect guys like Moss and Welker who know how to get down before getting hit too hard. You can't help your team by getting injured. It's amazing how they learn to do that at such a high speed. And I'd add Brady's duck move to the category. Just something about the way lloyd does it.

Anyway, on topic ... nice job by Tebow on those plays. Better than I would have thought.

I agree. Brady's in-pocket movements and ability to sense pressure is a sight to see. Nobody in this league does it better. People say he has more time than anyone to throw the ball, but he's a big reason for this. He buys his own time without having to escape the pocket. He doesn't need to scramble. One quick sidestep here, a step up there, and he gets himself an extra half a second to a second to find his man and put his front foot into that throw.

You can put together a highlight film for sure, and also for sure a lowlight film.

His Denver season: 46.5% completion percentage (when the spread option, as coach Fox put in, generally HELPS your percentages), and 123 yards per game.

:eek:

He is not a QB, and I am a Florida fan, a Gator dad in fact, and want to see him do well, but I want him to give up the crazy idea of being a QB in the NFL, when his skills do not match the requirements. If he gives it up (and many statements he's made suggest he'll do anything it takes to win in any role) I think he could succeed.

Last edited:

Has anyone else noticed that in the past couple of games it seems that Lloyd seems conscious of this habit?

I have noticed that he goes down, catches himself doing it, and then tries to scramble to his feet or crawl ahead for some more yards.

You obviously did not watch Tebow last season bring defensively minded Denver successfully to the playoffs. He did it via repeated close low scoring game scenarios such as the Jets-Tits 2nd half example which I cited. I'm using specific examples where he was demonstrably successful; you're just stuck repeating that he's useless.
No, I'm being realistic that I've seen nothing to suggest the Jets would be a playoff team with Tebow playing QB. The Tebow lovers can't accept that argument instead preferring to invoke the Derek Anderson argument.

Has anyone else noticed that in the past couple of games it seems that Lloyd seems conscious of this habit?

I have noticed that he goes down, catches himself doing it, and then tries to scramble to his feet or crawl ahead for some more yards.

Remember his little Woodhead scamper last week? I thought it was hilarious. I thought he was crawling

No, I'm being realistic that I've seen nothing to suggest the Jets would be a playoff team with Tebow playing QB. The Tebow lovers can't accept that argument instead preferring to invoke the Derek Anderson argument.

No, its a case of you don't want to see it so you will say blindly that its not possible. Simple fact of the matter is that Tebow for all his poor passing took the starting job in Denver the year before when the team was 1-4 and led them to the playoffs where they beat the Steelers before getting destroyed by the Patriots.

Its not hard to imagine that a team with a coach who ran a wildcat offense in Miami and has two pretty decent running backs could quickly have a system in place to suit Tebow. They would do a hell of a lot better than they did having Sanchize(who makes Kyle Orton look good) under center.

No, its a case of you don't want to see it so you will say blindly that its not possible. Simple fact of the matter is that Tebow for all his poor passing took the starting job in Denver the year before when the team was 1-4 and led them to the playoffs where they beat the Steelers before getting destroyed by the Patriots.

Its not hard to imagine that a team with a coach who ran a wildcat offense in Miami and has two pretty decent running backs could quickly have a system in place to suit Tebow. They would do a hell of a lot better than they did having Sanchize(who makes Kyle Orton look good) under center.
Let me take a step back for a minute. Are you seriously proposing the Jets roster is comparable to the Broncos roster?

The only line comparable to the Broncos would be the DB's with Revis playing. On Offense the Broncos hold clear advantages on the OL, RB, WR and TE positions. It's come as no surprise to me what Manning has been able to accomplish with the talent laden Broncos team. You can clearly see the difference between a QB playing the position and a player who thinks he's a QB.

I'll reiterate again, I've seen nothing to suggest that Tim Tebow makes the Jets a playoff team. The Jets don't have the talent level or distribution of talent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey