PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Now Tim Tebow wants out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen nothing to suggest that the Jets would be a playoff team with Tim Tebow at the helm.

Point of fact, last year Tebow took over the QB position for a team that appeared to be headed toward being a solidly non-playoff and that team ended up earning a playoff spot and getting a playoff win.
Further, as the Jets have not given him an opportunity to 'see what he can do' yet the Jets have shown to be frequently impotent on offense, lost several games due to this impotence yet they are only 2 wins instead of loses from being tied for a playoff spot, exactly what evidence do you base your "I've seen nothing to suggest" comment on?
Looking at Sunday's loss plus looking at Tebow's performance last year with Denver, there is something to suggest Tebow at QB might have produced a win instead of a loss for the Jets.

Gotta agree with Deus that blind irrational undeserved hatred of Tebow abounds.

If Sporano was worth minimum wage as a OC he'd have had a Tebow package developed in summer camp.

If Tebow, properly prepared and supported played that last half against the Tits, the Jets would still be in the playoff race. That game, that D was perfect for his capabilities to win that game.

It's not hatred, it's the reality that he's a lousy QB. It's The Tebow Cult that bases their ridiculous fanboy adulation on the religious aspect, they can't accept the fact that he's a lousy QB so they label the people living in reality as bigots, say they hate him, blame it on religion, etc, etc. It's complete nonsense, sane people just don't appreciate round the clock coverage of what amounts to the 53rd man/ST type player.

No team should design an offense around a fringe NFL player/CFL level type talent.

Never has so much been made out of so little.

The "higher" points of some responders:

1) Tebow can't play as a QB (in his one opportunity as a starting QB, the team went to the playoffs and won their first game).

2) Tebow is stupid (in college he excelled as student)

3) Hatred of Tebow because he worships an "invisible person" (To the best of my knowledge, Tebow has never got on TV and said I am better than you because I am religious. In general Tebow has come across as a very decent human being who tried to win as hard as he could but was one of the first people to help an injured player...as well as use his stardom to help those who are less fortunate than himself).

While the opinion of whether he can or cannot play QB at the NFL level is just that, an opinion, and is certainly fair game......some of the other highlights from this thread are not the finest hour this site has ever seen.

Never has so much been made out of so little.

quoting your wife after the honeymoon was over???...
hilar.gif

Point of fact, last year Tebow took over the QB position for a team that appeared to be headed toward being a solidly non-playoff and that team ended up earning a playoff spot and getting a playoff win.
Further, as the Jets have not given him an opportunity to 'see what he can do' yet the Jets have shown to be frequently impotent on offense, lost several games due to this impotence yet they are only 2 wins instead of loses from being tied for a playoff spot, exactly what evidence do you base your "I've seen nothing to suggest" comment on?
Looking at Sunday's loss plus looking at Tebow's performance last year with Denver, there is something to suggest Tebow at QB might have produced a win instead of a loss for the Jets.
There's nothing to suggest Tebow would improve the Jets. He's playing on a different team with far more shortcomings than the 2011 Denver Broncos. If you believe he's capable of overcoming those shortcomings, that's your prerogative. I don't because as a team, the Jets are fundamentally flawed.

Last edited:
well...let me just say she doesn't call it "Little Joe"...nah, it's more like "Hoss".....on a side note, I'm just a "Bonanza" of rotten jokes tonight...

There's nothing to suggest Tebow would improve the Jets. He's playing on a different team with far more shortcomings than the 2011 Denver Broncos. If you believe he's capable of overcoming those shortcomings, that's your prerogative. I don't because as a team, the Jets are fundamentally flawed.

And you may be right. He may not help the Jets whatsoever. However, he did take over the QB position last year for a team that was headed in the wrong direction in terms of W-L. That team then won more games than they lost and went to the playoffs. Having done it before is actual evidence to "suggest" he would do it again. Past performance suggesting what future performance (not a guarantee, just one indicator) will be is not debatable....it is reality.

You can slice and dice how you know how flawed the Jets are and what would and would not help them. Your opinion on that could be right. But since it is merely an unproven opinion and, again, past performance is one predictor of future performance, you are wrong when you say there is "nothing" to suggest Tebow would make a difference to the Jets W-L record.

Tebow led a team to the playoffs as a QB. You cannot do that by accident. This by no means makes him a HOFer, but it does mean he's probably better than half the QBs in the league.

If you're including backup QBs -- so what?

If you only mean starters, that's an odd claim.

And the people who swore he couldn't play in the NFL were shown to be wrong.

Which is why Denver ran screaming from him.

1.) I'm not forwarding to any position about Tebow, beyond the obvious, which is that he's clearly shown himself capable of winning football games in the NFL, and of taking his team to the playoffs, under the right circumstances.

So has Sanchez.

2.) Of course I have the authority to make such a comment about the Tebow detractors I described. They're bigots, nothing more, and they've demonstrated that repeatedly.

What a load of self important crap.

If tebow truly thought he could be a qb he wouldn't have signed with the jets. Tebow thought he help a team that was a contender...which is why he ran more than he threw.

If tebow got a call from to come play fb/te he would come...Something tells me that's what bill wanted to draft him for.

Tebow signed with the Jets because he was promised he would get a shot at QB if Sanchez struggled. He's pissed because that is exactly what transpired and he never did.

And you may be right. He may not help the Jets whatsoever. However, he did take over the QB position last year for a team that was headed in the wrong direction in terms of W-L. That team then won more games than they lost and went to the playoffs. Having done it before is actual evidence to "suggest" he would do it again. Past performance suggesting what future performance (not a guarantee, just one indicator) will be is not debatable....it is reality.

You can slice and dice how you know how flawed the Jets are and what would and would not help them. Your opinion on that could be right. But since it is merely an unproven opinion and, again, past performance is one predictor of future performance, you are wrong when you say there is "nothing" to suggest Tebow would make a difference to the Jets W-L record.
So now were using absolute definitions of a word to emphasise a point? Rightio chap.

The Jets acquiring Tebow was one of the worst decisions they have EVER made in their long SAD history of questionable football moves. Not because of Tebow's debateable lack of talent or even the compensation given up. But because it created an INSTANT QB controversy that the mediots instantly fed upon as piranhas and constantly harped upon at the end of every week.

Did the Jets 'brain trust' really think Tebow's presence would escape notice in the Big Apple? Where everything is magnified 1000%?! Did the Jets really think that they could use Tebow for a couple of 'gadget plays' a game and satisfy a man who entered the draft with the strongly expressed preference of being seen as a QB rather than a FB/TE/H-back, and when he had led a team, no matter how questionable a part he played in, to playoff success?

The Jets traded for Tebow and let him rot at the end of the bench. The few tantalizing snaps they gave him, only adding fire to the media firestorm that was just waiting to happen as Sanchez SUCKED IT UP something AWFUL! All of us sports fans outside of NY knew that Sanchez SUCKS, but that SUCKITUDE was only magnified with the presence of Tebow just waiting, hoping, pressing to take over as soon as Sanchez dropped the ball. And Sanchez did just THAT, early and OFTEN. Much to the delight of Tebow supporters!

And YET Rex kept turning to Sanchez far too often, after it had already become clear to the rest of the nation and even the mediots that Sanchez will NEVER become a franchise QB. He's not even a bottom third QB. He should have been drafted to be a career backup, only seeing the field when the true leader of a team lies fallen in the emergency wing of the hospital, since Sanchize never had the BALLS, talent, nor intestinal fortitude to be a true leader of a PRO football franchise.

It's really a shame that Tebow is finally shooting his way out of New York via the media. The constant drama and national derision he drew to the Jets was astoundingly amusing to watch. No more shall we hear the "Tebow!" chants as the crowd boos the Sanchize. McElroy may not be the Jets savior, but he surely can do no worse than Sanchez and will attract far less media attention than Tebow because of his relative anonymity.

Oh well, here 'Marks' (pun intended) the end of two eras in the city that never sleeps, that of Sanchez and Tebow. A pity. The media circus was quite entertaining. The small solace we can take, at least the Jets first managed to screw their own cap because of the guaranteed contract to which they signed Sanchez before he made his total SUCKITUDE apparent even to Jets management. And as an added bonus, they conveniently eliminated themselves from playoff contention by sticking with the Sanchize for far too long than even common prudence would dictate.

In short, the Jets SCREWED themselves. They suck just badly enough this season to miss the playoffs, but not badly enough to be in position to draft the Franchise Quarterback that they so desperately needed. BRAVO!!! :D

I wanted him to go to the Muslim owned Jaguars. He could have honed his preaching skills there ad nuseum.......

I'm not a Tebow hater. Hell, I loved the kid in college when he was doing great things for the Gators. But he's an awful quarterback. His weaknesses have always been there and were first exploited by Saban. The only passes that he ever delivers that are strikes or have any accuracy on them are passes that he makes on the run, so keep him in the pocket by setting the edge and make him come off his initial read and he's done. He's wildly inaccurate all over the field as well. Last year with the Broncos, the Broncos were only able to win those games because their defense would keep them in it while the offense stumbled through three and a half quarters. After that, the opposing defense would usually try to pressure him the way the Steelers did, letting Tebow run all over the field and make plays on the move.

Tebow will be fine if he lands on a team that's fully behind the spread option. He will be able to "throw" and do everything else other spread option QB's do. But his needs new age coaches who believe in it, preferably college coaches that have recently moved up, or a team with an offensive minded head coach. He needs to lose that bulk Ryan asked him to gain though because he looked slower and sluggish this year compared to last year.

Isn't it amazing that the Jets managed to piss off or ruin 3 quarterbacks in one year with 1 trade?

Drew Stanton, Tim Tebow, Mark Sanchez.

If you're a free agent QB, do you really want to come play for this team, Ryan and Sparano?

Tebow will be fine if he lands on a team that's fully behind the spread option. He will be able to "throw" and do everything else other spread option QB's do....

And by "fully behind" they would have to stick with one quarterback — as Gruden kept saying Monday night, shuffling quarterbacks in and out is a bit of a killer. And that full-time requirement is to me where Tebow comes up short. I look at guys like Kaepernick and Wilson and see that they provide not only that dynamic threat but also good passing/decision making skills, so they can be full-time QBs. Tebow just lacks too much of the latter part of that package, from what I've seen. His best hope is that a team like Arizona looks around their division and says ..."why not?"

Edelman wasn't drafted as a QB, won't be on his 3rd team in 4 years, doesn't need the offense to be molded around him and doesn't come with a legion of delusional worshipers.

The point I made that you criticized was that Tebow could be useful if (and only if) he gave up the dream of being a QB and changed positions, with a team where he'd be no distraction (like NE). So, I am not talking about signing him to be a QB, which would be silly. Thus it is entirely analogous to Edelman, in that you said that it would be absolutely worthless to even bring someone into a training camp as a free agent, if he was trying to learn a position he had never played before.

A number of people with transferable athletic and football skills have been very successful playing a new position for the first time in the NFL (Edelman, Randel El, Ronald Curry, Josh Cribbs, Freddie Solomon, Brian Mitchell, to name a few), or even playing football after playing another sport altogether (Stephen Neal, Nate Ebner, Antonio Gates are recent examples)

summary: sign as a street free agent, for low $$$, understanding he will never play QB, competing with the likes of Tracy White, Hoo-Hoo, Devlin, Ebner, et.al., for a fullback /special teams / H-back / TE role somewhere near the bottom of the roster.

Do I expect it t happen? No. Somebody may sign him to fill seats and fail as a QB. I'd like to see him in a situation to actually use the running skills he showed daily in the SEC vs. a lot of NFL caliber talent.

Last edited:
Once again, "Oh, Canada..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back