PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Now that the Colts got screwed by the overtime rule will they change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Applied to 2002 data, the model developed by Jones suggests that the team winning the coin toss and receiving the ball would win with a probability of 49 percent under the first-to-six rule (versus 60 percent for sudden-death overtime). The probability of games ending in a tie would rise to 12 percent (versus 9 percent)."

There's a little more balance there.

I love the current overtime rules. I feel that its up to the defence to stop that other team and help put their team in a postion to win. Something that we couldn't do againest the Jets and something the Colts couldn't do againest the Chargers. If there are no more overtime playoff games and the rule gets changed next year. The colts will be looked as the biggest sore losers ever , that my story and I'm stickin to it.

Ivars Peterson's MathTrek - Football's Overtime Bias

BTW, I think the Colts should have taken an intentional safety instead of punting when they were up 3 with 2 minutes to go, SD had 0 timeouts and that 30+ yards of field position may have won them the game. Although I may be statistically misguided here, that was my feeling at the time.

This site seems to be a popular one after the Indy game

the entire NFL playoffs are a sham this year anyways when an 8-8 team can get in ahead of an 11-5 team.

As to OT, each team should get a posession. If the score is still tied each team gets another posession. You play until one team is ahead after both teams have had the ball (an equal number of times) In this manner both teams get an equal chance to win. Right now, pretty much OT is decided by a flip of the coin. Win the toss and you pretty much win the game if you can drive it into field goal range.

Glad to see the Ravens exposed the Dolphins for the frauds they are. Let's hope the Chargers are gone soon too.

Last edited:
Imagine if a star QB goes down with an injury trying to lead his team from a deficit in OT. The calls to go back to the current system would be tremendous.

Yeah, because the calls to enforce the Carson Palmer "can't hit a QB below the knees" rule have been so tremendous.

Both teams don't need to get a possession. It just needs to be changed enough so that the vast majority of teams who win the toss can't easily get into field goal position. Moving the kick back 10 yards would do that.

Last edited:
I love the current overtime rules. I feel that its up to the defence to stop that other team and help put their team in a postion to win. Something that we couldn't do againest the Jets and something the Colts couldn't do againest the Chargers. If there are no more overtime playoff games and the rule gets changed next year. The colts will be looked as the biggest sore losers ever , that my story and I'm stickin to it.

Even though the rules keep getting tweaked to give the offense an advantage

Yeah, because the calls to enforce the Carson Palmer "can't hit a QB below the knees" rule have been so tremendous.

Both teams don't need to get a possession. It just needs to be changed enough so that the vast majority of teams who win the toss can't easily get into field goal position.Moving the kick back 10 yards would do that.

That's an interesting option too. At the very least it would shift the odds a bit,which is the thing that bugs most people I think,plus accomplish that without adding extreme wear and tear..

Last edited:
i think if there was college rule than there would be no need for more complicated scenarios if a teams ties

I seem to recall BB saying that he doesn't like the current system, and wants to see a full 15 minute OT quarter played, but I can't find the quote.

You are correct that he opposes the current system, but he has stated that he'd like a series of shorter periods, such as 5 minutes, repeated up to 2 times if it remains tied (or perhaps 7.5 minutes repeated once). This is because BB believes that removing all the clock management and such from the end of the game is wrong since it is such a major part of the game (and of course the aspect in which his teams tend to excel). He makes a great case--compare the end of an overtime game versus the end of a regulation game, the regulation ending is much more exciting.

For POSTSEASON only, why not be on board with a full 5th quarter? I understand regular season, encourage teams to win in regulation because you are taking your chances. But in the Playoffs, it is one and done. You have earned the right to play among the final 12. You should have the opportunity to prove that you are the better team. Not touching the ball proves nothing. A full 5th quarter might be depth and conditioning into play, as well as mental and physical toughness to sustain for 75 minutes. I like the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes