PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Now that Sanders is Gone, one or two??

1st Hopkins, 2nd Wheaton, 2nd Patton seem like the best fits. Although I admit I like a bunch of others as well. Patterson could be beastly. Woods,Dobson,Swopes,Rogers,Hunter all bring a lot of talent to the table. Probably one of those drafts where you say "Damn,we could of had him." Lets hope the Pats selected WR is the one fans are saying this about.

Allen if his knee checks out which I doubt it will. Sorry but I think this guy has something going on with him that the mri just isn't seeing.This injury happened in November and he is still not feeling right?JMHO. He could be one of the most rewarding draft picks in this draft to get him at 29. Or it could be a disaster. Super talented and that's why is he is even in the conversation here. Patriots will do their homework on the this guy I'm sure. Intriguing prospect imo.

Still would like to see them take a flyer with a 7th on Alexander who has serious knee issues but can downright ball when healthy. Just think the reward is higher than the risk being it's only a 7th and a 1yr deal .

I think it should be three. One with the first pick (Wheaton, Woods, Patton for me), one later on day two (Mark Harrison, Marquess Wilson, Josh Boyce) and one in round 7 or UDFA (Courtney Gardner, Rashad Ross).

Mark Harrison on day 2? No way. 5th round is more like it.

First, I think the pats trade out of the first round. Second, the wr they draft will be somebody you have barely heard of and has measurables that will be considered lessb than ideal.

I don't think we'll take two. But, who knows? I'd like to trade out of 29 and pick up an extra 3. Draft Markus Wheaton with first 2nd rounder. Then, cb, s and olb. My thinking is that we sign Abraham and Brandon Lloyd.

Pats aren't going to add another safety. Not with having added Adrian Wilson back there and already having Tavon Wilson and McCourty there. And contrary to people's whining, Gregory did a decent job considering it was his first year in the system..

I think it should be three. One with the first pick (Wheaton, Woods, Patton for me), one later on day two (Mark Harrison, Marquess Wilson, Josh Boyce) and one in round 7 or UDFA (Courtney Gardner, Rashad Ross).

Manx - Marquess Wilson's stock has been plummetting since before the combine despite the damage control that his agent has tried. Wilson making the claims against Mike Leach and his staff about abuse towards the players really backfired.

I know that Wilson was considered a 3rd round pick at one point by NFLDraftScout.com, but they have him as a 7th round/UDFA now with his stock continuing to fall.

They are going to sign a veteran receiver (probably Lloyd) as well as use a 2nd/3rd round pick (preferably Woods, Dobson, Patton, Stills, Swope, Wheaton, Bailey) and a 6th/7th round pick, if and when they do their trade down from the 1st round (preferably Gardner).

If they keep their 1st round pick and if Hopkins is there, he is going to be hard to pass up. That would allow the Pats to get a 4th linebacker in the 2nd/3rd round (Zaviar Gooden has been worked out) to play WLB.

They will go BPA with one of their first 3 picks, likely for a cornerback.

Manx - Marquess Wilson's stock has been plummetting since before the combine despite the damage control that his agent has tried. Wilson making the claims against Mike Leach and his staff about abuse towards the players really backfired.

I know that Wilson was considered a 3rd round pick at one point by NFLDraftScout.com, but they have him as a 7th round/UDFA now with his stock continuing to fall.

I think he could go late day two. FRX 'Play The Draft', the Mel Kiper draft game aggregates mocks from a number of sources/experts and has him ranked in the 5th round. I wouldn't mind him falling into the 7th at all but there's enough talent and athleticism there to make me think someone will take a risk on him.

There certainly are plenty of issues with Wilson, but there's just something about him I really like. He might not make it out of camp but he has the talent to be the best WR we've had not named Welker, Moss, Brown or Branch.

I'm with ya man, big fan of Da'Rick Rogers, reminds me of an even bigger Anquan Boldin. I noticed he wasn't on any list linking him to the Patriots (no visits or interviews), so that might be an indication that the pats don't like him. Which is a shame, I think he will be a star.

If he is an obvious meathead, BB won't touch him. Oh wait, he traded for Ochostinko though. Err... :rolleyes:

I like Wilson too. I'd be quite excited if he's we got him in the 7th. Re: Rogers, he's exactly what we need as a boundary receiver, but a receiver that is a head case is probably not going to be selected by us. Too bad, really (though understandable)

Has anyone linked this article yet? Pretty good read with some compelling points.

If a worthy DT is available with out 1st pick, BB makes that move. Other wise he trades out.
If we take a DT in the 1st our 2nd and 3rd might be double dips at WR.

I still feel that Bill will trade out of 29 (and I hope not for a 2014 pick, but for multiple 2013 picks),
and that his first pick will be a CB.
After that, he absolutely must take the best available WR with his second pick.

Unless he trades down early & often, I'm not sure if Bill will have enough picks to return to WR
before the draft ends. He better hit the UDFA market real, real hard.

UDFA market? WRs from that pool wouldn't even crack our top 53. I mean seriously. Jones, Edelman, Jenkins, etc. are mediocre but unless Pats get lottery lucky I don't see any UDFAs working their way into this team's offense. I mean look at Boldin, a pretty good pickup but he's still a backup at best at what projects to be a top 10 NFL offense if heathy.

I am quite concerned with our WR situation. Amendola is good IF healthy, but still a downgrade from West production-wise. We need a WR who can offer around 500-600 yards his rookie year and look to jump to the 1k level in year 2. If we're LUCKY we might nail that with a 3rd round pick, but I'm thinking 1st or 2nd day investment at minimum is required to find such a guy.

Too bad we struck out on Sanders, he could have been counted for at least 600 yards in our offense with Brady throwing to him.

Robert Woods please

Robert woods Carrer Highlights USC - YouTube

(I'd recommend muting the video)

There are conflicting reports on Woods. Some scouts see him as a slot receiver who lacks deep speed. Others say he can run every route in the book and has a second gear. Not sure who to believe. But he had a great USC workout. My only concern is ... when is the last time you heard of a WR coming out of USC doing well in the NFL? Keyshawn Johnson 1996??

Reports on Woods:

"Robert Woods is one of the best NFL prospects in college football. He is a well rounded and explosive wide receiving talent."
Robert Woods 2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

"Weaknesses
Lean upper and lower body builds, strength is an issue when trying to get off the jam, fight for 50-50 balls. Has more than his share of drops in some games, fails to squeeze the ball with his hands to secure it. Settles for body-catches over when high-pointing passes over defenders."
Robert Woods Draft Profile

"Even with his good Pro Day performance, Woods still seems to be a solid second round pick next month."
2013 NFL Draft: USC Wide Receiver Robert Woods Has Impressive Pro Day - Cincy Jungle

Pats aren't going to add another safety. Not with having added Adrian Wilson back there and already having Tavon Wilson and McCourty there. And contrary to people's whining, Gregory did a decent job considering it was his first year in the system..

Pretty much how I see it. Need will always figure into draft choices but it won't dictate it. Safety isn't a need right now with T. Wilson and Gregory as the back-ups, and the only way belichick would take one is if he had one rated so high above everyone else on the board that he couldn't pass, e.g..if he had a top 15 grade on vaccaro and he fell to 29, but that is highly unlikely. And although I want them to go WR at 29 and again in the next two rounds i really think that belichick is going to go DL if there is one he has rated as a first available. I want Woods, Hopkins, Allen, or Hunter but if he does ned up going for S. Williams or J. Williams, or Jarvis jones if he drops then i won't blame for going for a good defensive prospect just as long as he addresses WR with subsequent picks, if he ignores it i am going to be pissed, however i am sure he doesn't want that so he will take the players i want.

Markus Wheaton and Aaron Dobson

There are conflicting reports on Woods. Some scouts see him as a slot receiver who lacks deep speed. Others say he can run every route in the book and has a second gear. Not sure who to believe. But he had a great USC workout. My only concern is ... when is the last time you heard of a WR coming out of USC doing well in the NFL? Keyshawn Johnson 1996??

Reports on Woods:

"Robert Woods is one of the best NFL prospects in college football. He is a well rounded and explosive wide receiving talent."
Robert Woods 2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

"Weaknesses
Lean upper and lower body builds, strength is an issue when trying to get off the jam, fight for 50-50 balls. Has more than his share of drops in some games, fails to squeeze the ball with his hands to secure it. Settles for body-catches over when high-pointing passes over defenders."
Robert Woods Draft Profile

"Even with his good Pro Day performance, Woods still seems to be a solid second round pick next month."
2013 NFL Draft: USC Wide Receiver Robert Woods Has Impressive Pro Day - Cincy Jungle

I don't want Woods. There just has to be better prospects available with our 2nd pick than him.

I don't want Woods. There just has to be better prospects available with our 2nd pick than him.

And in 3 years I have no doubt you will be able to accurately predict who they were and what an idiot Belichick was for passing them by.

i'll rank my top 10 or so in the rounds i'm happy to pick them up.... not bothering including tavon austin

Round 1
DeAndre Hopkins
Keenan Allen
Cordarrelle Patterson

Round 2
Robert Woods
Da'Rick Rogers
Markus Wheaton
Quinton Patton
Justin Hunter

Round 3
Aaron Dobson
Steadman Bailey
Terrance Williams
Marquess Wilson

I know people are touting Aaron Dobson, but he put up identical numbers to Justin Hunter in both the 3-cone and Short Shuttle. If the Pats are going to pass on Hunter, then why would they not pass on Dobson as well?

The two WRs I think fit the Pats offense the best, that we can get outside round #1 are Swope of Texas A&M and Sanders of SC.

Sanders may need a while to develop, but he can more than contribute on ST early on.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back