Welcome to PatsFans.com

Now that I Have an Ipod

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by BelichickFan, Feb 4, 2007.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +384 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't really want or need to keep all my CDs.

Is it illegal, unethical, immoral to rip my CDs to itunes then sell the physical CD ? I think it probably is, I don't know, but I don't really want to take up the space with them anymore.
  2. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yes - However, I would be MORE then willing to buy / take them off your hands another way :)D) for you, honostly.
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You'd be an ethical step ahead of the people who just dl the music directly.
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +384 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Clearly it's better than that and better than filesharing. I know the answer, I'm just looking for someone to say "yeah, go ahead and do it" :D
  5. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Record stores are going out of business left and right. I don't think you would get very much for them. I keep all mine as backup. And don't forget the music on your iPod is compressed. So it's good to go back to the uncompressed CDs if you need to.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +384 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Yeah, I actually dumped my 3 CD changer yesterday during the game. Now that I have an ipod, all I need is a pair of speakers and voila. CDs ? Who needs them. I agree I wouldn't get much but I have about 1,500 so even $3 apiece and I'm a happy man :)

I also rip mine at 128 which many of you audiophiles would laugh and throw up about. But while I LOVE music and listen all day, my ears aren't talented enough to know what I'm missing. I'm not worried about backups as I have everything on my computer HD and on a backup HD.
  7. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Seriously though, how much are you looking for them? :p
  8. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +54 / 2 / -0

You might want to look into lossless encoding for your "master" files but 128 is perfectly fine for everday listening. .Shn is one. It doesn't make for small files but when you can pick up a 500 GB external hardrive for $150, why mess around?

I wouldn't throw out the whole audio system either. Digital files obviously need very little power to generate good sound, but simply going from a player to speakers isn't the best way to go - even if they are powered speakers.

I simply run a Y extension off my headphone jack, run that back into one of the auxillary channels on my stereo receiver, and continue to find that an equalizer gives me a lot more control over the quality of sound for any given music.

That puts some high quality wattage behind the electronic files. Generally most of the shows I download are at a variable bit rate as well - averaging 160kbs which means that sometimes its more, sometimes its less depending on the nature of the music.
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +384 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

It kind of depends on whether it's an OK thing to do or whether I'm a cheating assshole who's borderline comitting a criminal act by doing so :)

If I did go ahead with it I would do it cheap per CD (about $3 apiece) if I were able to sell dozens or more in bulk. I still feel a little dirty even asking about it though . . . .
  10. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I say its fine, honostly - its like selling at a garage sale
  11. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why not? You bought them in the first place- you paid for the right to do that.
  12. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Exactly - It's not like your downloading them and then selling them. It's fine, it's only piracy if you download them or recieve them illegaly. If you baught them, its all good...

so 1500 CD's at 3 dollars each = 30 dollars for ten ... or 300 for 100. That's a lot of money you would be rolling in!
  13. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Is there a reason you always spell "honostly" instead of honestly? Just curious since you don't seem to misspell other words but, I've seen you spell that one a few times like that.