PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Now that he's signed, do we trade Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just. Stop.

Wes Welker Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN

Vs.

Julian Edelman Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN

The Pats are not going to trade Wes. And Edelman is NOT a replacement for Welker. Not 75% of Welker, not 65% of Welker, not 35% of Welker.

If you think Edelman is a good WR it is time to stop doing drugs. He's a better DB than he is a WR, and he's not a good DB.

The next person who suggests that Edelman is anything more than a very good punt returner who does his best to fill other positions when absolutely necessary needs to be hit in the head repeatedly with a tack hammer until that thought goes away.

Please stop with the trade Welker talk. There is no way that Edleman can fill his shoes. He has never shown that he can. I say sign Welker for 3 years and then work with Ebert. This kid is fast and has great hands

I'm not that familar with the MA southcoast.

If you took a boat from Nantucket would you be able to arrive in Dartmouth?;)

Last edited:
I wish it were so simple but unfortunately it's not. No one is bashing welker and he is by the far the best slot reciever that has played the game. Problem here.. how many NFL teams are a good slot reciever away from being contenders? 0. He's already proven that a championship can't be won by a dominating slot receiver... Teams will not give us the fair VALUE back for shipping Welker. That's my point. Based on his value to us, Welker is easily worth a 1st or 2nd round pick if not more... to other teams.. not so much.
Wholly crap this post is full of fail.

"how many NFL teams are a good slot reciever away from being contenders?"

This statement alone fails on several levels.
1) calling Wes a good slot receiver is the understatement of the century. The guy is the best slot receiver possibly ever.
2) Wes plays a position that you yourself are undervaluing and puts up numbers on par if not better than some of the best WRs regardless of position.
3) while there may not be that many teams who would become contenders based soley on a "good slot receiver" I think there are several teams that would become contenders based on adding Wes and one team that comes to mind that many might consider a SB favorite if they added Wes (the 49ers).

Uuuummmm...

I don't think they trade Welker for a number of reasons. The most important reason is that they would never get equal value from another team. Welker's value is with catch quantity, not necessarily quality. To get that value out of Wes, you need to have a hyper-accurate, hyper-smart QB. There just aren't that many of them around:

Denver - Would take a huge bounty to trade to a conference rival.
GB - They have all the WRs they need.
NO - Ditto.
Jets - Kidding.

Welker would be productive for any team, but there are very few teams on which he is a franchise player. If the Pats aren't going to get franchise value in a trade for Welker, I doubt they trade him.

You guys really like taking one part of a huge statement and running with it.
I admitted That Welker is the best slot receiver ever, I want him to stay. YOU ALL ARE MISSING THE POINT...

WELKER IS WORTH MORE TO US THAN ANY OTHER TEAM! NO TEAM IS GOING TO GIVE US A FAIR RETURN IN ANY WELKER TRADE!!

That's why we can't and wont trade welker!!!

No proof that a dominanting Slot receiver cant win you a championships?!?!? Check the seasons the welker absolutely lit up the NFL and ranked high up there with #1 receiver..now Check Welkers fingers.. rings? ... Checkout the WR activity this offseason... am I underplaying the slot receiver position?? Be real with yourself.

Wholly crap this post is full of fail.

"how many NFL teams are a good slot reciever away from being contenders?"

This statement alone fails on several levels.
1) calling Wes a good slot receiver is the understatement of the century. The guy is the best slot receiver possibly ever.
2) Wes plays a position that you yourself are undervaluing and puts up numbers on par if not better than some of the best WRs regardless of position.
3) while there may not be that many teams who would become contenders based soley on a "good slot receiver" I think there are several teams that would become contenders based on adding Wes and one team that comes to mind that many might consider a SB favorite if they added Wes (the 49ers).

:bricks: Totally missed my point.

I don't think they trade Welker for a number of reasons. The most important reason is that they would never get equal value from another team. Welker's value is with catch quantity, not necessarily quality. To get that value out of Wes, you need to have a hyper-accurate, hyper-smart QB. There just aren't that many of them around:

Denver - Would take a huge bounty to trade to a conference rival.
GB - They have all the WRs they need.
NO - Ditto.
Jets - Kidding.

Welker would be productive for any team, but there are very few teams on which he is a franchise player. If the Pats aren't going to get franchise value in a trade for Welker, I doubt they trade him.

I'm sure teams in the NFC like SF and St Louis would love to have Welker for different reasons. Mainly that they're both lacking WRs.

I'll tell you 2 teams that MAYBE MAYBE would pony up for Wes Welker and give the patriots fair return (but won't due to their situation)

1. Cheifs - Who are building around a system much like the patriots, except they drafted Devon Wylie * a guy I really wanted the pats to grab as insurance in this whole welker thing *. That draft alone lowers their need.

2. The Broncos - Peyton might need a safety valve but the broncos already have a solid group of WRs who should get significantly better with a good QB throwing to them.

Other than that I really don't see a need. the 49ers..really? Vernon Davis,Randy Moss,Crabtree,Manningham? Welker is not a fit.

St. Louis have Amendola... who was injured. Again lowering their need and giving them all the leverage if they wanted to enter trade talks...

whatcha-talkin-bout-willis-gif.gif

Last edited:
I'm sure teams in the NFC like SF and St Louis would love to have Welker for different reasons. Mainly that they're both lacking WRs.

Thought about both of these teams. Alex Smith isn't accurate enough to take full advantage of Welker and they have already invested heavily in WR...particularly for a team that wants to run.

The Rams would be a great fit for Welker. Bradford stats haven't shown it but given the right talent around him, he could be that accurate/smart QB that would allow Welker to excel. However, the Rams would never part with a 1st round pick to get Welker, with the realistic possibility that the pick could be top 5.

Thought about both of these teams. Alex Smith isn't accurate enough to take full advantage of Welker and they have already invested heavily in WR...particularly for a team that wants to run.

The Rams would be a great fit for Welker. Bradford stats haven't shown it but given the right talent around him, he could be that accurate/smart QB that would allow Welker to excel. However, the Rams would never part with a 1st round pick to get Welker, with the realistic possibility that the pick could be top 5.

tumblr_lg63s06n5W1qzdf0go1_500.gif

Last edited:
Just. Stop.

Wes Welker Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN

Vs.

Julian Edelman Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN

The Pats are not going to trade Wes. And Edelman is NOT a replacement for Welker. Not 75% of Welker, not 65% of Welker, not 35% of Welker.

If you think Edelman is a good WR it is time to stop doing drugs. He's a better DB than he is a WR, and he's not a good DB.

The next person who suggests that Edelman is anything more than a very good punt returner who does his best to fill other positions when absolutely necessary needs to be hit in the head repeatedly with a tack hammer until that thought goes away.
Great example of why "stats are for losers". Edelman is such a horrible receiver that in his rookie year, playing a position that he's never played before, at any level. Edelman somehow managed to produce the 2nd most yards of any Patriot rookie WR in the BB era. Only Deion Branch, who had many more snaps and looks, gained 84 more yds. And if you include the playoff game, he gained more yds. How about THEM stats.

Here's the situation. In the ONLY time he's had to get regular snaps as the slot receiver, Edelman produced, despite the fact he never played WR before. It would be hard to believe that 2 years later, he isn't a better receiver than he was in his first years.

The point is Edelman plays behind the WR who has been the most productive receiver in the league during his time in the the league, but we DO know, that in the one time he had to get some regular snaps at the position he produced. The fact is that neither you or I don't know how good or bad Edelman would be if he took most of the snaps at slot receiver. We just have a short history to give us an indication....and based on that small sample, its likely he would

Last edited:
Other than that I really don't see a need. the 49ers..really? Vernon Davis,Randy Moss,Crabtree,Manningham? Welker is not a fit.

Vernon Davis is TE. You know that right? Does that mean Welker isn't a fit in NE because they have Gronkandez?
You know Moss isn't a slot receiver right? just checking. Manningham is also an outside receiver. So what you're saying is you don't think Welker is a HUGE upgrade over Crabtree as a slot receiver??

PS. Crabtree has 28 yards receiving in two games in last year's playoffs.

The Niners are a ball control offense. Last year they pounded Gore but he's on his last legs.

Let's trade Wes Welker and Tom Brady for Aaron Rodgers!! :D

The man just took a leap of faith by signing his tender and you want to trade him, what a DB thought
Well, he couldn't be traded until he did sign the tender, so nothing wrong with the timing. A trade couldn't even be discussed between teams because Welker wasn't under contract until he signed. We've been over this before many times.

It's weird. The Pats NEVER pay for what you have done, only for what you can do. Yet everyone here is so caught up in the Pat's-should-reward-players-for-their-PAST-efforts that they call people idiots and DBs for asking a legimate question.

Even if the answer is no, it is not doing due diligence not to consider the possibility.

Pats are unlikely to make any receiver, especially a slot receiver, the highest paid player on the team. Welker got $9.5 mil for playing this year. No way will a long term contract pay him $10 mil. Just ain't happening. So a trade is possible if they want to get anything before he leaves (assuming his $$$ demands don't come down).

Best guess IMO is that he plays the year under the franchise tag then moves on if he still want Fitzgerald money.

The question for a trade is: what will help the team more? One year of Welker or 5 years of a first round pick?

No one is an idiot or a DB for opining one way or the other on that question.

What the hell is everyone's problem with asking the question????????

You guys really like taking one part of a huge statement and running with it.
I admitted That Welker is the best slot receiver ever, I want him to stay. YOU ALL ARE MISSING THE POINT...

WELKER IS WORTH MORE TO US THAN ANY OTHER TEAM! NO TEAM IS GOING TO GIVE US A FAIR RETURN IN ANY WELKER TRADE!!

That's why we can't and wont trade welker!!!

No proof that a dominanting Slot receiver cant win you a championships?!?!? Check the seasons the welker absolutely lit up the NFL and ranked high up there with #1 receiver..now Check Welkers fingers.. rings? ... Checkout the WR activity this offseason... am I underplaying the slot receiver position?? Be real with yourself.

Get back to us when you figure out the difference between correlation and causation, and when you realize that Welker was one dropped pass away from doing just what you say can't be done.

Last edited:
If we are going to win a Super Bowl, Wes Welker will be a major part of it.
I'd agree more with this if he'd have caught that ball at the end of the last SB. Pats won three superbowls with a great defense and middlin' offense, none with Welker, Moss, and all the other great receivers.

Back to basics. Better defense. Ravens won with good defense and Trent Dilfer. Pats couldn't win with the best offense in the history of the NFL.\

Just saying.

I'd agree more with this if he'd have caught that ball at the end of the last SB. Pats won three superbowls with a great defense and middlin' offense, none with Welker, Moss, and all the other great receivers.

Back to basics. Better defense. Ravens won with good defense and Trent Dilfer. Pats couldn't win with the best offense in the history of the NFL.\

Just saying.

The Ravens only won one title in the 2000s. The Patriots twice came within a couple of minutes of winning titles with the offense you're dismissing. The Patriots also won the SB in 2003 because of the offense and not the defense. Top offense/weak defense teams like the Colts and Saints have won Super Bowls in the 2000s.

Just saying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back