PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Now that he's signed, do we trade Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nantucketguy

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I love him and won't want to see him go, but he's 31 now and has had injury history. He wants a long term deal that the Pats might not be able to give him. Maybe another team will. Currently, we have 9 other WR's on roster. Given how they handled the Seymour situation...
Do we trade him? What would it take to in compensation to trade him? 1st Rounder next year?

Thoughts?

susan-powter_l.jpg

No way in hell. This idea is illogical. Wes is a lifetime Patriot. He's not going anywhere.

Hell no! Extend him a few years. 31 or not he's showed no signs of slowing down. And his connection with Brady is like twins who finish each other's sentences.

Trade him for what? A first rounder (even if we can get it) which we hope and pray would be as good as the guy he replaced? WR/QB combos like Brady and Welker come along once in a generation. And when you have it you ride it for all it's worth and then some.

I want Welker to retire a Patriot.

With Edelman as his natural backup, we can trade Welker without any problem.

Even more, I'd think about trading Brady, too. He's 34, can't win big games, and it's about time to handle this offense to Ryan Mallett.

/sarcasm

I love him and won't want to see him go, but he's 31 now and has had injury history. He wants a long term deal that the Pats might not be able to give him. Maybe another team will. Currently, we have 9 other WR's on roster. Given how they handled the Seymour situation...
Do we trade him? What would it take to in compensation to trade him? 1st Rounder next year?

Thoughts?

I don't think the possibility of trading him is anything greater than minute. He walks after this year unless he takes a 2 year 8 per deal. I dont see another team offering much more than that in actual dollars for a 32 YO WR.

Welker is well thought of and admired in the NFL, But there seems to be a lot of feeling that having Brady is a big part of his success. Welker has not yet gotten a ring and that may also limit the teams that he would go to.

Seymour had much more value than Welker

Last edited:
Wes has injury problems? OK, yea sure, but even when he misses a game or two, he STILL leands the nfl in catches.

The timeline for that sort of thing is off. Not that it couldn't still happen but if that was the road this was heading down the trade would likely have been sought out first and signing would be a formality to complete the trade.

The timing of this clearly shows Welkers commitment to the team and likely means the Patriots have shown enough in their offers to make him comfortable in doing so.

You know what the old saying is "buy low, sell high." Time to trade Welker, Brady, Wilfolk and Mankins. Imagine what Belichick could do with all those draft picks!!

Your thoughts are crazy (and Wes takes hits that will probably kill or cripple most of us and still gets up).

But, let's entertain the thought for a second and tell me whta position is our weakest and what player we could get? Also would the downgrade from Wes to say Edleman or Gonzalez be as good as the upgrade we would get in this player.

And I would say (in my opinion) Edleman (and Gonzalez is too much of an unknown and he wouldn't survuve some of those WW hits) is probably about 60% maybe 65% of Welker...maybe?

Move to New Members forum????

Last edited:

Is that real??? too funny

But, let's entertain the thought for a second and tell me whta position is our weakest and what player we could get? Also would the downgrade from Wes to say Edleman or Gonzalez be as good as the upgrade we would get in this player.

You're not going to any decent player for the 2012 season.

Thoughts?

You're a Jets fan, or an idiot, or both.

Thoughts?

Short of a Herschel Walker type deal...NO.

You're a Jets fan, or an idiot, or both.

Why is it ok to call him an idiot? Don't take it personal. It's just his opinion. I don't think Welker should be traded but every Patriot is tradable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes