Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
To carry over a discussion from the Atlanta Breakdown thread:
PatsFan37 said:
I do find it disappointing all the threads about trading Graham for this receiver or that linebacker. The Pats would have lost to the Colts without him in there to stop Freeney and block for Dillon.
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...6/08/17/these_tight_ends_are_tight/?page=full

With all the hollering for this player and that, and some folks always ready to dump steaming shovels full of their minds on players, it seems people don't have time to read one of the beats' best and brightest discussing one of the Pats'. It is truly sad that I had to come up for air from doing breakdowns and find a Thursday gem in the discount bin - c'mon, let's quit the hand-wringing and appreciate that this team is a "contenda" even with BB and Pees doing some patchwork at LB and Deion in our doghouse.

Re-sign Graham! :rocker:

I agree, box. I love Graham for his blocking abilities mostly but the guy is a beast when he can catch the ball. Hard to bring down.
I am all for re-signing Daniel.

Last edited:
Well after this season Graham's contract is up along with Koppen, Wilson, and Samuel i believe. If that is true with our 31 million under the cap salary next season you would think the Patriots could sign a few of those guys.

Graham might be the top player signed only next to Eugene Wilson.

But if Graham is resigned what would he be paid as? He's not a number 1 TE so he cant expect top dollar. So what is an appropriate offer for a backup blocking TE?

There are many that think Graham wants to explore FA..move west. And that is OK if that is what he wants. he also has been injured a great deal and that has to be factored into things.

Pats726 said:
There are many that think Graham wants to explore FA..move west. And that is OK if that is what he wants. he also has been injured a great deal and that has to be factored into things.
If he decides not to resign its not a big deal we'll just draft another TE next draft anyway and by then Thomas and Mills (i know hes a FB/TE) both will have a season under there belt and be able to contribute more to the offense.

Box_O_Rocks said:
To carry over a discussion from the Atlanta Breakdown thread:
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...6/08/17/these_tight_ends_are_tight/?page=full

With all the hollering for this player and that, and some folks always ready to dump steaming shovels full of their minds on players, it seems people don't have time to read one of the beats' best and brightest discussing one of the Pats'. It is truly sad that I had to come up for air from doing breakdowns and find a Thursday gem in the discount bin - c'mon, let's quit the hand-wringing and appreciate that this team is a "contenda" even with BB and Pees doing some patchwork at LB and Deion in our doghouse.

Absolutely. These big wusses like Shockley are only glorified WR.

Graham has been stuck making up for our bargain basement OLine, (not a knock on the individual players).

We've obviously upgraded that position so hopefully Graham's tackle breaking rambles will become more common place.

I'd like more info on his shoulders, though. That's a worry.

SeanBruschi54 said:
If he decides not to resign its not a big deal we'll just draft another TE next draft anyway and by then Thomas and Mills (i know hes a FB/TE) both will have a season under there belt and be able to contribute more to the offense.

I don't know whether he'll re-sign or not but if you think that DG is easily replaceable by Thomas and Mills I have to disagree -- read B_O_R's analysis and the interview with Bavaro for the reasons.

Well if Bravaro thinks Graham is the best in the game that says a lot to me, especially since I feel that way. BB doesn't let #1 picks who are the best at what they do go. IMO I think the cap room we have will be used to try to sing all the big FA next year all are in the prime of their careers: Wilson, Samuel, Koppen, Graham and Branch (though there may be too much bad blood for that).

If there's one thing I've learned it's that what I think has nothing to do with what eventually happens in Foxboro - boo hoo - but I'd like to see that scenario work out. Hell YES I'm a Grahambo fan, how can you not be? Just once I'd like to be able to settle in for a year or two and see the development of New Fauria, our HBack guy, Grahambo, our most proven guy, and the 120-yard-dash (in Denver air, at that,) gold medalist, Watson.

Maybe we see it, maybe not: an embarassment of riches.

But just like most of the guys who have left -- if Graham (God, I hate this thought...) if Graham goes via free agency, I hope his next team pays him well, treats him right, and uses him to shred everybody in the league EXCEPT US.

At this point, I think of Cleveland and Dallas as our "B" teams by virtue of personnel, as well as Miami and New York by virtue of coaching... kind of cool, in a way ;)

PFnV

SeanBruschi54 said:
Well after this season Graham's contract is up along with Koppen, Wilson, and Samuel i believe. If that is true with our 31 million under the cap salary next season you would think the Patriots could sign a few of those guys.

Graham might be the top player signed only next to Eugene Wilson.

But if Graham is resigned what would he be paid as? He's not a number 1 TE so he cant expect top dollar. So what is an appropriate offer for a backup blocking TE?
If Graham isn't our #1, who is? He is a better all around TE then Watson for all Watson's speed. I believe it was Solomon the other day who diplomatically classified Graham as #1a, and Watson as #1b - even there, Graham takes precedence. As for what he gets paid, why is that OUR worry?

Pats726 said:

I think we have speculated this is what Graham wants so much, in here that we believe it. Same with Koppen, we all think we wants to return to Philly, so he is gone.

Is there actually any substantiation of these rumors (that we may have promulgated) anywhere?

People are paid on the basis of Belichick's view of their perceived value. Not anybody else opinion.

BB has paid good money to players that everyone considered to be gone. I mean Jarvis Green and Stephen Neal and Kevin Faulk as examples. All these players were conceded to be "real contributors" but not public conscious stars. BB knew better.

I maintain that BB recognizes what Grahams' real contributions are and not merely how many passes he catches. I predict he will be re-signed.

He is the #1 TE, we should re sign him since overall he is better than Watson. Graham is one of the very best blocking tight ends you'll find and he does have underrated hands. He can make big receptions. More receptions doesnt necesarily = better tight end.

Last edited:
I don't think it's always as easy as "re-sign so and so". There are lots of factors to be considered. And there is a pecking order at work. Branch was the offensive priority, but he appears to be unsignable.

Graham has always been rumored to have wanted more. The flat tone in which he comments on his future tells me he believes he is probably gone (whether because he already knows they will not pay him what he wants or their lack of interest in even discussing his contract has simply led him to conclude they are not sufficiently interested).

I think there are real concerns about durability as well as production with Graham. And Watson appears to be projecting as the more talented TE on this roster if he has passed the learning curve this season. Great blocking (which Graham does not appear to withstand all that well) aside, he is not an elite receiving TE. However he is an experienced NFL TE and from what I hear the draft is not projecting to be a deep TE class in 2007 which will likely bolster his market as a FA. It has become the hot position. That BB tapped two more this off season tell me he is planning for contingencies.

I think the FO is reserving judgement on Graham as well as Koppen (rebound/demands) and Samuel (inconsistency/role/value) until they see how each performs this season. They may plan to make a decision come December or they may be planning to transition one of them or let them all the market period.

We should try to resign Dan. He is one of the best blocking TE football right now and also a good athleteic reciever.

His problem has been staying healthy. But, even with that, I think that some team will overpay for him when he becomes a FA.

If we can get him to extend before the season starts that would be the best solution. I don't know if that will happen though.

I agree with Mo on this issue. I like Graham as a blocker, and I am neutral towards him as a pass catcher, but the bottom line is he is going to be a very rich free agent next year, no matter what any of you guys think about re-signing him. It's just reality. He's as good as gone because Belichick isn't going to pay him as a top tier TE at current market rates just to be a blocker, with a certain degree of health issues and pass catching issues.

Did anyone notice we drafted two TE's and Watson as well? Not to sound sarcastic but this is not rocket science. I can't compare Grambo to Neal, Faulk or Green because none of those guys broke the bank, or would have in free agency either.

Patriots sign their players ahead of schedule whenever they can, or at least make a value offer. NOTHING has occured in Grambo's case. He is not the huge offensive weapon that we all hoped for, he is another O-Lineman on the field who is good at catching balls in the red zone but not so much in the open field on a consistent basis.

You have to love Graham as a team player and his willingness to do what is asked of him. But you also have to recognize his shoulders are pretty messed up from so much blocking and realistically how good and productive he will be over the course of the next couple years. So that why I think the Pats will offer him a two year extension, but he'll leave for the long term deal. Just like the Sox did with Pedro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by PatsFan37
I do find it disappointing all the threads about trading Graham for this receiver or that linebacker. The Pats would have lost to the Colts without him in there to stop Freeney and block for Dillon.
Actually, this is a widely held misperception - possibly because the broadcasters stated this during the game. But it's simply not even close to true. First of all, Freeney was only double teamed twice during the entire game. Light held Freeney totally ineffective one-on-one except for two plays. Ironically those were the only two times he got pressure on Brady. One time Light passed him off to Andruzzi and he got by Joe quickly. The second time, it was an interesting two TE block on Freeney with one TE coming across in motion. That sure didn't work - needless to say, it was not tried again.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
I agree with Mo on this issue. I like Graham as a blocker, and I am neutral towards him as a pass catcher, but the bottom line is he is going to be a very rich free agent next year, no matter what any of you guys think about re-signing him. It's just reality. He's as good as gone because Belichick isn't going to pay him as a top tier TE at current market rates just to be a blocker, with a certain degree of health issues and pass catching issues.

Did anyone notice we drafted two TE's and Watson as well? Not to sound sarcastic but this is not rocket science. I can't compare Grambo to Neal, Faulk or Green because none of those guys broke the bank, or would have in free agency either.

Patriots sign their players ahead of schedule whenever they can, or at least make a value offer. NOTHING has occured in Grambo's case. He is not the huge offensive weapon that we all hoped for, he is another O-Lineman on the field who is good at catching balls in the red zone but not so much in the open field on a consistent basis.

Jarvis is making around $3 million a year. Show me any other reserve DL getting that kind of dough. There aren't any...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back