Welcome to PatsFans.com

Now if McCain had said that.........

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Mar 20, 2009.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

He would be featured as Keith Olbeman's worst person in the world tonight

Obama jokes that his bowling is ‘like Special Olympics’

Source AP/Washington Post, ABC News

During his visit to “The Tonight Show,” Thursday, President Obama attempted a joke on himself that appeared to make fun of people with disabilities.

Obama told host Jay Leno that his bowling score, with practice, had risen to 129.

“That’s very good, Mr. President,” Leno deadpanned.

It’s “like the Special Olympics or something,” the president replied.

AutismParents.NET! Obama makes Special Olympics joke on Jay Leno
  2. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I laughed. I generally think Americans are too uptight when people are obviously joking, but I do agree. If it was certain other people, this would be a big deal.
  3. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Who said it isn't a big deal??????

It's all over the media this morning. You really think it's being hushed up?

Within 20 minutes of the TAPING (not even waiting for the airing of the show), the President issued a complete mea culpa. Contrast THAT with how Cheney or Bush would have handled a similar situation.

Of course it was a wrong thing for a President to say. Good for him for owning up to it immediately. Refreshing contrast to what we've had.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

People need to relax. Should he have said it on national TV? No. Is he eeeeeeeeeeeevil for saying something that we've all said 1,000 times in our life? Not at all. The PC police should be all over him like they are everyone else, even though I think the PC police should have been out of a job a couple of decades ago. We've reached a point of mass stupidity when it comes to this stuff. Personally, I thought the "typical white person" line was far worse, since he said this jokingly, while he was very serious about the other.
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I have used that phrase jokingly many times...and I used to volunteer for the Special Olynpics. Now I'm living "the life" and I still say stuff like that. I don't mean to make fun of anyone except myself. People need to lighten up and this might be a good start. It's no big deal except that Obama should have known better and have been more careful with his language, I guess. To even insinuate that Obama doesn't care about disabled people because of this stupid mistake is foolish, though, and no one who is disabled or advocates for the disabled seriously thinks so.

I agree with the OP, though. If Bush or McCain had said this, all hell woulda broke loose but there's a reason for that. Disabled people and the elderly (Who tend to share space in the ven diagram of society) need more help from society, and those who seem to be more interested in helping them - whether they are or not - will get more slack. I wonder if Palin has ever made remarks like that in the past. Maybe she still lets some slip out. Either way, I wouldn't blame her, especially since she's now living "the life".

While it's all over the news, different outlets are treating it with different emphasis.
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Do you see the difference though? The Olberman's of the world will treat this similarly to what you are saying, that is, Obama winds up getting a compliment in the end. Had it been MCCain or some other republican or conservative, even with an apology they would be blasted continuously over it. Lets be honest about this.

FWI what media was all over it this morning? I watch MSNBC for a while, CNN for a while and Fox News for a while. Fox reported it but the others didn't, at least while I was watching.

I didn't want to come off as being all outraged at what he said because he was attempting to be humble, not incensitive. Seriously though, how do you think republicans would be treated if were one of them?
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I think in general it's safer for liberals to make slips about race or disability, for instance. And it's safer for conservatives to make slips about troops or Christians. Bush made a joke about not finding WMDs during the height of the Iraq war, and many liberals were "upset" that the media didn't give it more attention. That said, it's never politically safe to make fun of people. The p.c. police are on both sides of the aisle (and they should be to prevent Obama or anyone else from marginalizing a minority).
  8. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Well if bush or cheney said it and then actually came forward after and said I shouldn't have said that, it was a mistake, I don't think a big deal would have been made of it. Its the fact that these guys acted like they NEVER did anything wrong, Never needed to apologize for anything they ever did,or said is what sets people off.
  9. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

you laughed at Obama's quote? why do you think it was funny?
  10. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

this is really funny.......and disturbing........nobody is in any better position to insult than anyone else regardless of issue.............but leave it to liberals to feel they can just make anything up as they go along

you are so wrong to say this
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -9

Imagine If I Had Said It On This Forum

Press Cover Would Have To Be Sedated
  12. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Because it was a joke, and he meant it in a self-deprecating manner. If I am going to criticize the man (which I have), it will be for something legitimate and not a mere "gotcha!"

I hate the PC gotcha game.
  13. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Oh... this must be the latest...

[​IMG]:mad:MOCK OUTRAGE!!!!! [​IMG]:mad:

...thread.
  14. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Nothing's justified. I said Obama was wrong, and pointed out there are p.c. police on the right and the left. But, the fact remains that minorities (including the disabled) tend to trust Democrats more than Republicans, so they are a bit for forgiving when Democrats slip up. After all, for the story to get traction, organizations representing the disabled will need to complain loudly. So far, they haven't. And I think that's because they know that Obama is a positive step for their interests.
  15. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

PERFECT. There's so much fake outrage in this country about the stupidest stuff. That's why things like the AIG bonuses flew under the radar for so long, people are usually too busy *****ing about a joke or a gesture.

Yuck.
  16. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thats too funny. I'm sure you meant the irony....:rolleyes:
  17. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

fact does not mean "my oppinion"

We just went through 8 years of a president who was utterly incompetent. Bush was a coke head in college...that never seemed to come up, but Clinton inhaling was a big issue. Bush has been arrested multiple times for drunk driving...agian...not an issue...

Yeah, more forgiving when the democrats slip up.
  18. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Are you kidding? Bush and Cheney would never in a million years ever get away with such a remark even with an apology.
  19. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

........:rofl::rocker:......
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -9

Liberals are supposed to be Politically Correct at all times, sensitivity should prevail, I could understand some Neo Con like Dick Cheney or some non caring clown like Don Imus saying this but not Our Beloved Holy Beautiful Prince, there must be a mistake, he probably didn't have his Companion Teleprompter nearby, please forgive him it's that f---ing Bush we should be going after.