Welcome to PatsFans.com

Now Gingrich says Occupying Iraq an enormouis Mistake...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Apr 11, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Well it just went up to 61% who disapprove what GWB is doing in Iraq, another conservative just jumped ship. Karl better start creating some diversions as the focus my be solely on GWB and Dick..

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060411/NEWS/604110311/1001

Gingrich at USD: Pull out of Iraq Ex-House speaker says U.S. should scale back

Article Published: 04/11/06, 2:55 am

VERMILLION - Newt Gingrich, the former Republican Speaker of the House, told students and faculty at the University of South Dakota Monday that the United States should pull out of Iraq and leave a small force there, just as it did post-war in Korea and Germany.

"It was an enormous mistake for us to try to occupy that country after June of 2003," Gingrich said during a question-and-answer session at the school. "We have to pull back, and we have to recognize it."
  2. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Newt is my kinda Rep, one interested in the saftey of his country and in the well-being of the entire populace, not just special interests. Is he perfect? Hell no. But he's better than the vast majority of Reps about Iraq and by a long shot.

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

It's nice to see that more and more conservatives are starting to listen to what liberals have been saying for years. Let's hope the trend continues.
  4. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Please Patters, Newt is not saying what liberals said. Liberals never wanted to go there in the first place and that is certainly not what Newt was saying.

Of course since most liberals are reactionary instead of proactive your response was not suprising.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It doesn't matter who said what first or who was right before we went to Iraq vs. who's realizing it now. The past can't be changed and the fact that most Americans think our first simian president is just that and that the occupation of Iraq is wrong is all that matters. The only way to bury the chimp is to get a dem majority in both houses and blow his political brains out along with the rest of the admin. There is plenty of blame to go around as far as democrat and republican complicity, but the goal now has to be to have this traitor forcibly removed from power along with his Gang of Four rat bastids and the rest of the Cabinet, for that matter.

Can it be done?
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Lol, that's like the people who turned against Bush but maintain "Ok, he's bad, but you were wrong when you told us he was bad."
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  7. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I actually think it's GOP strategy. Everyone start distancing themselves from the lame duck. Nobody will get re-elected if they portray themselves as being close to the administration.
  8. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

There is no question about that. Bush-Cheney are radioactive right now and the rats are fleeing the sinking ship. Gingrich- king rat.
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

I don't know Wistah. There's an interesting dynamic now with what appears to be a genuine social movement, the likes of which we haven't seen since the 70s. I'm talking about the immigrant movement that seems to have appeared almost out of nowhere. That movement could sweep Democrats to victory, especially since the Democratic Party really is on the pro immigrant side of this issue. If America moves left it won't be because of the Dems, the liberals, or the anti-war movement; it will be because of the immigrants. Let's hope the legal ones register to vote.
  10. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

This scares me. Not legal immigrants voting, but they're such a huge voting block, I fear we'll see politicians on both sides pandering to them and allowing them to, to an extent, dictate policay.
  11. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lets not forget that most Hispanics vote Republican because they are hard working religious people who believe in family values.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Dryheat, the Democrats have always been for immigrant rights, so I don't think they will have to pander. It will be the Republicans who are already trying to pander (by dropping the idea that illegals are felons). I think many of us have more in common with the legal immigrants, who tend to believe that government can play an important role in social policy, than with the Republicans. I think the immigrant population represents a far smaller threat to the nation than do the people in power.
  13. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Wrong.

For some reasons Cubans generally vote Republican. Probably due to the current stance on Cuba.

All other Latinos tend to vote Democrat, if they vote at all, because, for good or ill, Democrats tend to favor welfare and other social programs, while Republicans historically take a stance of tougher immigration laws.

But like any other segment of the nation, Wealthy Latinos vote Republican, and middle-class and poor Latinos vote Democrat (very generally)
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Well, you got it part right, but both Kerry and Gore won the Hispanic vote. Kerry took 55% and Gore took 65%.
  15. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Excessive welfare and social programs arent a big selling point to MOST hispanics. Look at the work they do, those folks work their collective arses off. They are a very proud people and dont want welfare unless absolutely necessary.

That and welfare and social programs are only good at KEEPING people on welfare and social programs.