Welcome to PatsFans.com

Now George Will is criticizing the Iraq mess...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Mar 2, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

It's not Susan Sarandon, George Clooney, Sean Penn but another benchmark of conservatism, George Will, saying that Iraq is a failure....Pretty soon the supporters will only be George, Dick, Rush, Savage, Coulter, Lieberman and the democratic lemmings..

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/georgewill/2006/03/02/188261.html

...Almost three years after the invasion, it is still not certain whether, or in what sense, Iraq is a nation. And after two elections and a referendum on the constitution, Iraq barely has a government. A defining attribute of a government is that it has a monopoly on the legitimate exercise of violence. That attribute is incompatible with the existence of private militias of the sort that maraud in Iraq.

Today, with all three components of the "axis of evil'' -- Iraq, Iran, North Korea -- more dangerous than they were when that phrase was coined in 2002, the country would welcome, and Iraq's political class needs to hear, as a glimpse into the abyss, presidential words as realistic as those Britain heard on June 4, 1940....
  2. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

another sign of the apocalypse
  3. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

George Will has never been a shill for the Republican Party. He's a paleoconservative/libertarian, and he's probably just as disrespected by modern neocons as liberals are.
  4. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You are correct, but I explicitly recall him in many editorials coming out in full support of it (or am I mistaking him for someone else??)
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

He's a great writer and thinker. I don't always agree with him, but I always consider what he says as possibly right before deciding.