PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Now from "the glass is half full" crowd...

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuiGon

Banned
Reaction score
Trying to take the following bits of optimism:

1) The Pats played poorly, spotted Buffalo 7 and still won. That is the sign of a very good team.

2) Once again, Belichick showed he is the master of the halftime adjustments, and the team certainly responded with a great 2nd half. As someone else here said: I'd rather start poorly and finish strong than vice-versa.

3) No complaints about Gostkowski :)

4) AFAIK, it was an injury free game (meaning we didn't suffer any injuries; obviously there were some players we were missing).

5) Maroney certainly looked darn good..!!

- Bruschi, Gabriel, Jackson and later Branch will be back.

- Patriots usually struggle more in the first 4-5 games of a season than later.

Everything is fine. Really.

This team has the capacity to be a winning team, just like the pulled-together crew we had in 2001, or the world beaters of 2003-4.

The classic sign of the 2002 and 2005 year was that the team played one good half and one bad half, almost like they were lacking a little fire or passion. In 2005, we can blame it on injuries, but we didn't do great in Denver, not enough to overcome some bad calls.

I wish we had a crowd that didn't worry about how full the glass is, but rather, whether the Pats intend to play with maximum effort in both halves of each game.

That's what winning teams do. The Pats never seemed to have 'trap' games in 2001,2003,2004. A couple losses are to be expected each season, but not inconsistent effort.

If the Pats play with maximum effort this year, than the glass will always be more than half full for all of us.

QuiGon said:
Trying to take the following bits of optimism:

1) The Pats played poorly, spotted Buffalo 7 and still won. That is the sign of a very good team.

2) Once again, Belichick showed he is the master of the halftime adjustments, and the team certainly responded with a great 2nd half. As someone else here said: I'd rather start poorly and finish strong than vice-versa.

3) No complaints about Gostkowski :)

4) AFAIK, it was an injury free game (meaning we didn't suffer any injuries; obviously there were some players we were missing).

5) Maroney certainly looked darn good..!!
I'd like to add a couple

6) Dillon looked very good and he was punishing tacklers the way we all know and love(even made McGee come out for a play or 2)

7) The run blocking from the O-line was great all game, and much improved pass protection in the 2nd half.

8) No injuries(I think)

Think about how seldom a team loses the turnover ratio 0-2 (one returned for a TD) and still wins... Turnovers are demoralizing and the fact we kept coming back and found a way to make the plays needed to win (a hallmark of the SB seasons) is encouraging.

NEM said:
I always said my good friend Nem was a great guy..!! Just don't talk politics with him..!! :D

My 3 observations:

-The halftime adjustments were again top notch. this is one thing we rarely did successfully during the 2005 season.

-The running game was phenominal. Corey looks like he's back and Maroney has amazing quickness when changing directions. Faulk was successful as a change of pace. This running game could be our most dynamic ever.

- The defense is back. We struggled early, but took charge in the 2nd half and came up with every big play we needed.

How about Rodney laying it out? Real good sign. Liked Andrews on special teams, too. Don't know for sure why, but I see him being in the game more on downs this season.

Here's two more...

9) The pass D gave up no big plays, or PI calls against. They made Loseman beat them underneath. Just like NoodleArm will have to do.

10) Brady always follows a poor performance with a very good one. As long as Light doesn't get him injured, and WR reinforcements can get open, I expect a bounce-back by the offense.

11) Willis McGahee was neutralized, for the most part. The jest have nobody of his caliber to run against us.

wistahpatsfan said:
How about Rodney laying it out? Real good sign. Liked Andrews on special teams, too. Don't know for sure why, but I see him being in the game more on downs this season.

You also have to give buffalo some credit too - they were not some hapless crappy team today - they have a new staff and it's a new season and they came out and played their asses off.

With it being the first game, and with us missing Bruschi and our two top receivers - Gabriel and Jackson, we had to play really tough to get through those first game struggles and buffalo's all-out effort and we pulled it off.

the pats will get better and better each week, but don't be surprised to see buffalo surpise some people in the coming weeks and knock off some wins.

pats will be fine. maroney looked awesome and the rest will tighten up.
nice adjustments by BB mid-game.

12. Back up LB Don Davis, did his job well when the Bills were stopped on the 4th down play.

13. Ellis Hobbs, who drew Lee Evans, effectively shut him down.

They won.

There are 14 NFL teams who'd love to switch places with the Pats . . . 16 by the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down