Welcome to PatsFans.com

Now for once, the pressure is ALL on the Jets

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by marcus, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcus

marcus Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

If the Patriots lose...well what do you expect they lost their franchise quarterback

If they win...WOW, the Jets suck and still can't beat the Patriots even without Brady

Lets see how the Jets for once react to pressure and being the favorite
  2. Excel

Excel Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's not just this game for the Jets, there's a lot of pressure for them to make it into the playoffs this year, with all the money they threw around with the free agent signings.
  3. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 13 / -8

I totally disagree.
    The pressure on WHO? In who's mind?

The Patriots are not playing as if they have no expectations. They expect to win, just as they would have if Brady were there.
    Same goes for the Jets. Anyone who thinks there was no pressure on the Jets in all these years because they knew we were better, or didn't think they were supposed to win, has no clue what goes through an athletes mind.

To say that the Jets will be motivated, good or bad, because "People will think they suck and cant beat the PAtriots even without Brady" is totally ignorant.

You are playing to win, and winning doesnt feel better, nor losing feel worse because of circumstances.
  4. JAYHAWKS34

JAYHAWKS34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

false, the pressure is on BB and the remaining healthy Patriots, as it was in last weeks gave from the 8th minute and on
  5. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +423 / 5 / -1

Mangini is firmly on the hot seat now. I think if he doesn't get to the playoffs, the fans are going to turn on him. Everyone in New York seems to think now that they are clearly the team to beat in the division.

Favre is a 1-2 stopgap. If he retires for real after this season, the Jets take a huge step back since they have not been grooming an heir apparent to Favre. So if they go 8-8 or 7-9 this year, do people think they will be substantially better next season if Kellen Clemmens is their starting QB?
  6. aluminum seats

aluminum seats Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Come on, I think it's unquestionably true that Brady's injury changes the dynamics of this, and a lot of other, games. Of course teams are always playing to win, but the levels of pressure on different teams is forever shifting, and it has a tremendous impact. The Pats felt the weight of 18-0 last Super Bowl, just as the Pats of 2001 were as loose as can be against the Rams.

Brady being out DOES increase the pressure on the Jets.....there is now an expectation that they SHOULD win this game, not that they might. And that matters.
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I think the pressure is on the Jets, especially at home. They made a lot of moves for this year, culminating with Favre. Then Brady goes out. If they can't beat us the following week, at home, it's going to look really bad for them. If we lose ? It sucks but we get a shot at them at home for the season split.
  8. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The OP must really mean external pressure, which is pretty much irrelevant. There is plenty of internal pressure on the Pats to win, just like every week, with or without Brady.
  9. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 13 / -8

Every game has one winner and one loser.
    Until you reach the point in the season where teams are eliminated it means no more to one team than the other.
    It moronic to me to think the a team is under more pressure in week 2 of a season because of what yours, fans, or medias expectations of them are.
    When your record is 0-0, you expect to win, no matter what the media says.
    Professionals do not go into a game thinking they are going to lose, or they wouldnt be professionals to begin with.

The idea that the Jets players feel subserviant(I know there is a better word that escapes me) to the Patriots players is foolish. The idea that winning or losing means more to the Jets because if they lose this time someone can say "Haha they didnt even have Brady" is a joke to me. If you believe this stuf, please go find something to compete in so you can learn what competition is.
  10. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -7

#12 Jersey

"inferior"?
  11. Watson's IQ

Watson's IQ Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Agree with this 100%. Just to add, the Jets play in New York. Have you ever known a New York team not to have pressure on them because, oh, this other team is better. Especially if that other team is from New England.

The Red Sox are better than the Yankees this year, you think they're not feeling the heat?

The Jets are always under pressure and scrutiny, as fans of a set of teams that are just as slavishly covered and obsessed over, we should understand that.
  12. O.Z.O.

O.Z.O. Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There's no more pressure on the J-E-T-S to win this game then any other game this season after the moves they made in the offseason. Brady's abscence doesn't change that.

That being said...the J-E-T-S will lose this game because the Pats are still the better team, even with Cassel at the helm. Like I've been trying unsuccessfully to explain to the troglodites over on the Fox Sports forum (sheesh, what a cesspool that place is), successful football teams are not determined by 1 player. You want to see teams like that...? Look at the Falcons when Vick was there...or the Lions with Sanders. Yeah, they were exciting, even had a couple good runs when there was good complementary talent, but it just doesn't work that way in this sport.

BB and the brain trust will scout the J-E-T-S. They will devise a gameplan that will be effective. They've faced Favre before and demolished him...at Lambeau, no less. All you have to do is stay close and wait for those 3-4x when Favre will stupidly try to force a ball into triple coverage or just throw it up for grabs, and take advantage.
  13. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

we have pressure too...

but after all the money the jets spent, and after all the guys they got, and after improving their team so MUCH, and with us NOT having are QB....well, if we do better then the jets this season (which i have full confidence we will) then woe to the jets, and their head coash, and their peronnel dude...b/c jets fans will be pissed off as hell (rightfully so)
  14. aluminum seats

aluminum seats Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I completely disagree with you, and your antagonism on this is sort of bizarre.

You don't think there can be greater levels of pressure to win or lose a game early in the season? Are you nuts? There's so many examples of it I wouldn't even know where to start. Simply on the basis of the Pats/Jets--there was a far greater level of competition after Parcells left, with Mangini last year, etc. etc. Brady being out shifts the pressure in this game, without a doubt. There is now more pressure than there was on the Jets than before. To say otherwise is simply wrong.
  15. Va_Pats_Fan

Va_Pats_Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I look at it this way. We're looking at being challenged as fans for 1 year. Jets fans have been challenged for how many years now? And even if they have an up year, they ain't getting past the colts or the chargers. We'll be back and at the top of the heap next year if this year falls short. They gave up a couple of years developing chemistry between a long term QB and the team for 1 or 2 years of false hope.

Let them eat cake.
  16. K-Ro 25

K-Ro 25 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

i have to agree with the original poster. As huge a Mangini supporter as I am, I expect big things now that we have the personnel to make a splash and have seen opportunity present it self with the Brady injury. I wont say anything short of playoffs b/c there could be a rare instance where 10-6 does not cut it but Mangini definitely will draw the ire of our fan base if he craps the bed. This week IMO is a huge step towards him sealing his fate one way or another. Every coach at one point or another has a make or break point in his coaching tenure, this week/season is Mangini's
  17. aluminum seats

aluminum seats Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Yup, that's spot on. Week 2.......a huge game coming up, with the pressure building on the Jets.
  18. jeffbiologist

jeffbiologist Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Some interesting facts. Week 2 is more important than game 1. Game 3 more than 2, and so on. One game never shows anything to anyone except for a team that wasnt supposed to have a chance.....
    The JEST are 3-0 against the Phins, and 2-12 vs everyone else in the last year +. They need the game more than we do, they will likely be favored in the game. But in the terms of the season the pressure isnt on NY at all, its on the BEST TEAM. We can argue who that is, but if you take one game at a time its the best way to avoid the question right??
    I say lets the JEST have this game, we are a work in progress and are grown up to know that it doesnt matter how well you play in September....its how well you CAN play in FEBRUARY!! If the JEST fans make a big deal about the game(if they win)that will only be noteworthy because it meant they didnt think they had a chance otherwise. That is a compliment to this TEAM.
  19. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I think the OP meant the pressure from the MEDIA is now on the Jets. Of course the patriots have pressure on themselves to win the game. Every team does, but now if the pats lose the media will say "well what do you expect they lost their franchise quarterback" and if the jets lose the media will say "WOW, the Jets suck and still can't beat the Patriots even without Brady"
  20. Mangold74

Mangold74 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Pats still have a better team even without Brady. Everyone knows Brady is one of the best ever but BB built up this team to make it great on both sides of the ball. The Pats have a top 5 offensive line which Brady even made better with his quick decision making and protection calls. Moss, Welker, Watson, Maroney, Morris and so on should all make the transition to Cassell easier. It's not like Cassell is going to be in Kellen Clemens shoes last year with Adrian Clarke and Anthony Clement getting him killed and one decent reciever.

The Pats front seven on defense is still the best in the NFL. No team has 3 down lineman like that and vrabel, Brusci, Thomas and Mayo behind them. The secondary is the only place that isn't great but due to the great front seven they don't get exposed that often. I'm sure by the end of the year you guys will realize that the front seven can make any decent secondary player look good as long as he plays within the system.

The Jets are much improved but still an unknown. We know that Pace and Jenkins completely change the defense. With Jenkins getting double teamed it gives playes like Shaun Ellis and Bryan Thomas more room to work with. Pace is a player that offenses are going to have to worry about every play which should again give other players more space to work with and the secondary less time to have to cover.

The Jets have come along way in 3 offseasons but the Pats went 16-0 last year. Losing Brady is brutal but they still have top of the line players all over the place.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.