PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Now, are We Ready To Keep Three QB's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We say that about all of them at the outset...Remember Gutz would NEVER make a PS...He will make it and if it's close we simply won't see him again...

True a lot of people said that about Gutz but I wasn't one of them. I do however feel Nunn, McGowan and Richard will never make the practice squad either so perhaps I am a bit deluded. 9 months of no games that count will do that to you. :D

I don't know if Hoyer clears waivers to make it to the practice squad. He played fairly well when you consider the protection sucked and he showed good pocket presence moving around to buy time and didn't panic or make any big mistakes.
He'll clear. If not, so be it. This team has too many role and depth players on the bubble to cut one in order to carry a fourth QB.

I don't think the Patriots have any other choice. At this point,

O'Connell is not a proven #2. Cassell had four training camps

under his belt at this point.
Cassel had four training camps had not played. KOC is a four year starter but only 2 training camps. Does any of this matter? What matters is how quickly they pick up the offense and how much improvement they show. And that will show in practice, how they make the right reads, etc.

It seems that keeping Walter is a good idea.

I'm still not on board. O'Connell will be fine. Walter goes to the shadow roster until he's picked up by somebody else which is no guarantee. If Brady get's hurt I think BB would hit up Pioli and strike a deal with him. Thigpen is 3rd string over there and Guiterrez is 4th.

For the time being I'd go with Brady and O'Connel with Hoyer on the PS. If O'Connell get's hurt in the same game as Brady then we would be in a pinch but Edelman should be able to finish the game handing the ball off and perhaps running some option. The way I see it, if you lose your 1st 2 QB's in the same game, it just isn't meant to be your day anyways.

Last edited:
i really want hoyer and occonel on the team and not walter................but thats just me

The current regime usually keeps at three QBs. The notable exception was TB's rookie season, and we've long known now what that was about. My question is whether we keep 4 QBs. O'Connell looked pretty good in preseason last year, and now Bauer looked just as good vs the Bengals.

The current regime usually keeps at three QBs. The notable exception was TB's rookie season, and we've long known now what that was about. My question is whether we keep 4 QBs. O'Connell looked pretty good in preseason last year, and now Bauer looked just as good vs the Bengals.

The 2006 season just called. It wants to know where its third QB was before Testaverde signed midway through. :)

Last edited:
Watching KOC it seesm clear to me Kevin needs another year of seasoning at least, before he is ready for Prime Time...

OTOH, if he had the POISE of UDFA rookie Hoyer, to go along with his own physical abilities and strong arm, we would really have something.

O'Connell may or may not be ready, but I'm not drawing any conclusions off of last night's game, that's for sure. Last year, everyone was screaming for Cassel to be cut because he was a useless player who couldn't move the ball at all, had no pocket awareness, and would never amount to anything in the NFL.

Moral of the story: you can't make these judgments based on preseason games. Stop trying to: it's an exercise in futility at best and dumb and misleading at worst.

No its NOT atall. it was clearto several fans last year what BB was doing with Cassel. He was testing his POISE and composure by giving him dirty hands and tools to play with. He was sent out to play opponent's regulars with third string OL linemen and cuttable WRs to see what he would do.

Bill was purposely seeing if Cassel could handle the exposure to tough times. Cassel remained composed and didn't lose his cool, on the field; or pop off off the field, about the dirty deal he was handed.

IOW, he passed with flying colors, the tests BB had given him. Go read the Book of Job for an analogue.

No its NOT atall. it was clearto several fans last year what BB was doing with Cassel. He was testing his POISE and composure by giving him dirty hands and tools to play with. He was sent out to play opponent's regulars with third string OL linemen and cuttable WRs to see what he would do.

Bill was purposely seeing if Cassel could handle the exposure to tough times. Cassel remained composed and didn't lose his cool, on the field; or pop off off the field, about the dirty deal he was handed.

IOW, he passed with flying colors, the tests BB had given him. Go read the Book of Job for an analogue.

haha almost seems like BB knew what was comeing

I've probably posted 100 rosters since the draft. Almost all have had three QB, although some had a 3rd QB as one of the last three positions. For many season, I have suggested that we should have a veteran backup as well as a developmental backup on the squad. When it looked as if O'Connell was clearly ready to start if necessary, many of toyed with Hoyer as the #3, some wanted to risk having our #3 on the Practice Squad.

I don't think that I ever suggested carrying two quarterbacks since we signed Walter, As I said, I've always wanted a veteran.

True, but up until a week ago mgt was trying to convince the board the Pats should only keep two QB.

I know it's still relatively early, but my money says that Walter's already penciled in as the #2.

Do you think Walter could get us to the playoffs if Brady goes down? Because if not, it doesn't matter whether or not O'Connel is ready.

I'm not convinced.

I believe that Walter could get us to the playoffs, just as I believe that Garcia could have gotten us to the playoffs last year.

This team CAN go 11-5 without Brady, even with other serious injuries. Belichick signed Walter (with competition from other teams) because he believes that he could be effective if necessary. I don't want Brady playing hurt as he has done in the past.

Do you think Walter could get us to the playoffs if Brady goes down? Because if not, it doesn't matter whether or not O'Connel is ready.

I'm not convinced.

I still think it's a possibility they only go with two QBs, if they also have Edelman around. Walter as #2, KOC gone, and Hoyer to the PS where he can be called upon if needed.

Belichick got rid of Gutierrez quick enough, so I don't know why he wouldn't hesitate to get rid of KOC just as easily.

Does anyone see Belichick this year using the #2 more often in the 2nd half of blow out games?. In the undefeated season, he almost never took Brady out but this year it is possible that he tries to get Brady off the field faster when the game is out of reach. This could contribute to the #2 man getting several drives of game time as opposed to previous years when Brady/Moss were gunning for the records.

I still think it's a possibility they only go with two QBs, if they also have Edelman around. Walter as #2, KOC gone, and Hoyer to the PS where he can be called upon if needed.

Belichick got rid of Gutierrez quick enough, so I don't know why he wouldn't hesitate to get rid of KOC just as easily.

Does anyone know if Edelman is sitting in on QB meetings? Or is he training exclusively with the wide receivers?

Does anyone know if Edelman is sitting in on QB meetings? Or is he training exclusively with the wide receivers?

I don't know, but I think someone did report him taking snaps as a wildcat QB in camp.

Gutierrez was an undrafted free agent with limited college experience.

O'Connell was a 3rd round draft pick who was highly regarded by the

Patriots. He apparently hasn't developed as quickly as expected so

Andrew Walter was signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes