PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Novel roster idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
okay, we are all very bored because it will be awhile before training camp, and as someone has said before, we have analyzed, discussed and argued about the Patriot roster down to microscopic detail.

Here's a novel but not probable idea. BB goes with only 2 QB on the roster. The advantage of such a move is that it frees up a valuable roster spot for a developmental player. Bramlett and Mortenson do not appear to be anything special, and thus could be put on the PS. And to be honest if it ever came down to the 3rd QB, we probably wouldn't be going to the Super Bowl anyways.

Argue away. :)

Last edited:
A few teams did that last year..I believe..usually a 3rd QB (vet) helps a lot with the scout team and a lot in preparation...But would you wish to have only 2 QBs on the roster??? Brady gets hurt and??? WHo is 3rd QB?? believe me..if Cassal was in and there was no true backup do you NOT think that he would become a target??? And then what?? Do we go with Faulk or???
Also with a QB on the PSqd..they can be claimed by another team..

Yes it is a novel idea.

Now, some people would say it's a fool hearted, crazy, are you out of your friggin mind, idea. But that's just them.

Pats726 said:
And then what?? Do we go with Faulk or???
Also with a QB on the PSqd..they can be claimed by another team..

We would go with "Bingo," aka Troy Brown. LOL We can also use him as the emergency DB, kicker and punter. LOL

BTW, it is hard argument to say that either Bramlett or Mortenson would be on someone else's 53, because that is what would happen if they claimed him from our PS, per rules.

I believe you have an expression in your country -- now what is it? -- oh yes: Yikes!

Plenty of vet QBs out there lifting weights and tossing footballs, just waiting for some team to lose two QBs so they can get signed.

There's nothing novel about it, several of us have been suggesting it although we realize it's unlikely to happen. Personally I'd prefer to keep a developmental OL or LB than a veteran QB.

Novel..but as MikeB says.."Yikes!!" If it were a doable thing..they may try it..but??? I really sort of doubt they would do it....WHen NO did it..they had Kingsbury on the PSqd 3rd QB..risky at best.. I don't think BB is that type of gambler...

Parcells made a similar gamble with the NYJ (no viable #2) and Vinnie went down with the achillies. Cost him his window of opportunity with the hated Jets. Like I give a ****e.

Shadow roster.

I'm sure BB's good buddy, Doug Flutie could get out of his college football gig if an emergency came up. He keeps in shape and knows the system, league, etc...

Lamanai said:
Shadow roster.

I'm sure BB's good buddy, Doug Flutie could get out of his college football gig if an emergency came up. He keeps in shape and knows the system, league, etc...
But that isn't the problem with having 2 QBs...there are PLENTY of QBs they can bring in after an injury..during a week between games.. THAT is NOT the problem...the Problem is this..Brady gets injured 1st Q..Cassal goes in...he goes down 3rd Q and???? It doesn't matter where Flutie is..the Pats are up a tree...who is that 3rd QB???? Do you wish to take a player and devote THAT MUCH time to him to be a 3rd QB??? I don't think so...here is where Tupa was VERY useful..3rd QB and punter..effectively saving a roster spot. Shadow roster is not the answer...doesn't enter into it at all...

Last edited:
There's one other advantage to keeping a 3rd QB on the roster: you can dress that third QB as a "game-day inactive," and yet, if you absolutely need him, he can come in. So, in effect, you're allowed to have a 46-man game day roster if you have a QB as man #46.

P.S. If, God forbid, both Brady and Cassel were injured, I have no doubts that Vrabel would make a more than adequate backup. He does everything else so well. ;)

If both Brady and Cassell get injured in a single game, a "Brooks Bollinger type" of player isn't going to exactly save the day. Our offense would consist of running the ball.

The safest way to approach the situation if you only want to keep two QBs during the season would be to get some vet like Vinnie to take a small signing bonus just to go to camp and learn the system. You have an agreement that he'll be cut, and hopefully he'll still be in his basement lifting weights when you need him during week 13.

There's really no point in having only 2 QB's. You only get 45 players on gameday, and the 3rd QB doesnt count among them. So having 2 QB's actually makes your gameday roster go from 46 to 45.

How is having an extra inactive player different from having him on the Practice squad? If he is a "developmental" guy, how is he going to develop any different from not playing in games on the active roster vs not playing in games on the Practice squad? What positive does it bring to the team?

Having a QB on the practice squad instead of the roster has a clear negative. You only have one backup QB on gameday.

hughthehand said:
There's really no point in having only 2 QB's. You only get 45 players on gameday, and the 3rd QB doesnt count among them. So having 2 QB's actually makes your gameday roster go from 46 to 45.

How is having an extra inactive player different from having him on the Practice squad?
The goal is to get another player on teh 53-man roster, not the 45 active players.

If a player is on the practice squad, another team can take him at any time. The COlts took Cory Chapman and Dillon and Faulk immediately got hurt.

Not all players are eligible for the practice squad. We could keep a vet LB or CB on the roster.

That's the only advantage. Having another player on your roster.

The downside is that if two QBs get injured during the same game, we'd have to use a RB to hand the ball off.

I only remember two games where two QBs were knocked out of the game. Philly and Jets.

However, I also remember Vinny Testeverde getting hurt against the pats and he was the ONLY active the had for the game! They carried two, but #2was hurt and couldn't play, if I recall correctly. Anyway, the Jets used Tom Tupa the punter as the QB and he frikking beat us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back