PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Notice how MNF, Gruden, Dilfer showed the Pats are different..

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanStnfrd

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
After a fine game (thankful for Vereen and Cannon showing up on the playing field) which featured the good (all things Gronk!,Law Firm, Brady, "No-Name Defense") and the bad (Light and Connolly injuries), I wanted to highlight a few things about yesterday's broadcast that show the Pats are different or treated differently.

First, Gruden prides himself on getting the stars of MNF game to come in to his "lair" or bus and chat while watching video. Guess who did NOT show up: Tom Brady. Brady is a superstar who does not sit for such interviews -- Aaron Rogers and Drew Brees do. Of course, Gruden had the ever-classy Bob Kraft as a substitute.

Second, noticed how Gruden & Jaws kept marveling at the many role players on the Pats. Of course our now famous collection of "no-Name Defense" made up of other teams rejects, undrafted agents drew substantial comment. Gruden noted that Merriweather and Sanders were cut before the season and now the Pats had Adams, Molden and Moore. All commentators sounded like they were shaking their heads that the defense was playing as well as it has.

Then in the post-game show, Dilfer played the skeptic. "Yes, they have numerous sacks but they really don't have an impressive pass rush." He concluded, the Pats don;t have anyone the opposing team feared, no one offenses had to game play for". None of this is surprising. What this tells us is that experts hold the Pats to a higher standard. The more critical scrutiny is a form of complement. What they are overlooking is that the Pats are constantly improving, the "No-name Defense" has held in and are growing, our defense did not commit many penalties. The people BB cut are not exactly lighting it up for their new teams, which speak to his judgment.

As a counterpoint, have you noticed that Ron Borges was very complimentary of the Pats defensive performance last night. Who says a leopard can't change his stripes?

I enjoyed Dilfer for the most part last night.

I forget who was trying to stir up drama with the "running up the score" nonsense but one of the announcers brought it up like 10 times in the final 2 minutes. Dilfer refused to bite, and basically said if you don't like it, stop it.

Last edited:
First, Gruden prides himself on getting the stars of MNF game to come in to his "lair" or bus and chat while watching video. Guess who did NOT show up: Tom Brady. Brady is a superstar who does not sit for such interviews -- Aaron Rogers and Drew Brees do. Of course, Gruden had the ever-classy Bob Kraft as a substitute.
I'm curious if Brady's no-show has anything to do with his contract with Westwood One and his weekly pre-game radio bit with Jim Gray. :shrug:

Regards,
Chris

Honestly, Palko is so god awful that there is very little to be learned about last night's defense.

I can't emphasize to you enough about how bad Palko is.

Honestly, Palko is so god awful that there is very little to be learned about last night's defense.

He looked better that Curtis Painter last night.

After a fine game (thankful for Vereen and Cannon showing up on the playing field) which featured the good (all things Gronk!,Law Firm, Brady, "No-Name Defense") and the bad (Light and Connolly injuries), I wanted to highlight a few things about yesterday's broadcast that show the Pats are different or treated differently.

Second, noticed how Gruden & Jaws kept marveling at the many role players on the Pats. Of course our now famous collection of "no-Name Defense" made up of other teams rejects, undrafted agents drew substantial comment. Gruden noted that Merriweather and Sanders were cut before the season and now the Pats had Adams, Molden and Moore. All commentators sounded like they were shaking their heads that the defense was playing as well as it has.

Then in the post-game show, Dilfer played the skeptic. "Yes, they have numerous sacks but they really don't have an impressive pass rush." He concluded, the Pats don;t have anyone the opposing team feared, no one offenses had to game play for". None of this is surprising. What this tells us is that experts hold the Pats to a higher standard. The more critical scrutiny is a form of complement. What they are overlooking is that the Pats are constantly improving, the "No-name Defense" has held in and are growing, our defense did not commit many penalties. The people BB cut are not exactly lighting it up for their new teams, which speak to his judgment.

As a counterpoint, have you noticed that Ron Borges was very complimentary of the Pats defensive performance last night. Who says a leopard can't change his stripes?

Some people look at information and then make a determination.

Some people determine then warp the facts.

Look at the defensive stats for our defense and Baltimore's defense against Pittsburgh's. We gave up points early. Baltimore puked up a 10 point 4th quarter lead.

Difference is they are "elite" so it doesn't matter.

Classic "yeah but"........always an excuse.

Last edited:

Then in the post-game show, Dilfer played the skeptic. "Yes, they have numerous sacks but they really don't have an impressive pass rush." He concluded, the Pats don't have anyone the opposing team feared, no one offenses had to game play for". None of this is surprising. What this tells us is that experts hold the Pats to a higher standard. The more critical scrutiny is a form of complement. What they are overlooking is that the Pats are constantly improving, the "No-name Defense" has held in and are growing, our defense did not commit many penalties. The people BB cut are not exactly lighting it up for their new teams, which speak to his judgment.

I was a little surprised that Dilfer took this angle because that's falling into the 'who are their stars' trap. Don't get me wrong, I can certainly understand his skepticism with the defense; it's just that his reasoning for coming to that conclusion that leaves me scratching my head. All one has to do is compare the number of big name players and the number of wins that the 49ers have in comparison to the Eagles to see that is irrelevant.

I've been hearing opposing fans say something similar about the Pats for eleven straight years, yet the team keeps winning. I would have thought that a seemingly very intelligent and analytical person such as Dilfer would have figured out by now that it is about building a team, and not just collecting talent.

Arguably one of the worst backups in the NFL

Re: Dilfer, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that opposing offenses are game planning for Andre Carter.

They can say what they please and it is their job to be provocative, rather than truly analytical but the stats that count are the wins. If you win, what can they say?

I note that Gruden said last evening that he had never seen yardage on a score board and he is so right! The PATS D is being judged on yardage against. Its a lousy stat. PATS red zone D is very good and plays to the strength of our offense.

One question? I know Dilfer did win a super bowl or more to the point the Ravens defense won that S.B. but why is he an expert, he was a journeyman Q.B. his entire career. At the end he was in the right place at the right time and then he wisely retired.

I'm sorry, but what Dilfer said was true. Honestly, there was some truth to what both Gruden and Dilfer said.

Yes, the collection of this 'no name' defense, that's able to at times make the big plays is really a praise to Bill Belichick, and what a great coach he is.

However, let's be real clear. The Patriots were suppose to crush the Chiefs. Their QB has been cut form numerous different leagues, and this was his very first start. And at times, he was having his way.

This defense is going to get shredded like before once they play against good to great QB's.

There are a lot of concerns for the Patriots. It was nice they got the win, despite Brady looking downright terrible to me last night. He had a lot of guys bail him out, but he himself looked horrible. It is GOOD that the Pats were able to win despite Brady, but let's look at the opponent.

I'm really worried about Brady, and that's something I thought I'd never say. I don't know if he's hurt, or what, but he looks off. Outside the Jets game he's been looking pretty average, to bad for consecutive weeks.

If Brady can't start playing like the Tom Brady we know, then this team is going to have a lot of problems going forward.

The Patriots overall didn't look that impressive last night despite the score. If they play like they did next week, don't expect the same result. The Eagles looked really good, and that could be a letdown for the Pats.

Last edited:
They can say what they please and it is their job to be provocative, rather than truly analytical but the stats that count are the wins. If you win, what can they say?

I note that Gruden said last evening that he had never seen yardage on a score board and he is so right! The PATS D is being judged on yardage against. Its a lousy stat. PATS red zone D is very good and plays to the strength of our offense.

One question? I know Dilfer did win a super bowl or more to the point the Ravens defense won that S.B. but why is he an expert, he was a journeyman Q.B. his entire career. At the end he was in the right place at the right time and then he wisely retired.

Even when active, Dilfer was known as a knowledgeable player.

When he was an active player, Matt Millen was a borderline HOF'er.

I'm sorry, but what Dilfer said was true. Honestly, there was some truth to what both Gruden and Dilfer said.

Yes, the collection of this 'no name' defense, that's able to at times make the big plays is really a praise to Bill Belichick, and what a great coach he is.

However, let's be real clear. The Patriots were suppose to crush the Chiefs. Their QB has been cut form numerous different leagues, and this was his very first start. And at times, he was having his way.

This defense is going to get shredded like before once they play against good to great QB's.

There are a lot of concerns for the Patriots. It was nice they got the win, despite Brady looking downright terrible to me last night. He had a lot of guys bail him out, but he himself look horrible. It is GOOD that the Pats were able to win despite Brady, but let's look at the opponent.

I'm really worried about Brady, and that's something I thought I'd never say. I don't know if he's hurt, or what, but he looks off. If Brady can't start playing like the Tom Brady we know, then this team is going to have a lot of problems going forward.

The Patriots overall didn't look that impressive last night. If they play like they did next week, don't expect the same result.

Let me guess, the shock of getting Tebow'ed still hasn't worn off over at ganggreen.

lol

Why is it that anytime someone brings some perspective, they get labeled a Jets fan? :D

Seriously, that is well overplayed by now. If fan boys who are nothing but cheerleaders can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen. This is a message board, not a fan club.

I'm just stating what I see. What did Dilfer say that was so outrageous? He has every right in the world to be a skeptic. I'm sorry, pounding the Chiefs 34-3, without Cassel, and some guy that was hopping from league to league his entire career is not enough to make anyone a believer.

The Patriots played some very sloppy football last night! Yes, they finally got it together and got the win. If they were going against a much better opponent, I think they would have had the doors blown off them to be honest.

You can say that's all that matters in the end they got the win, fine, great. I'm happy.

Truth of the matter is there are some serious problems, and concerns moving forward. If your entire goal is to beat up on teams like the Chiefs. Then this is a success.

However, if you have a much bigger goal at stake, then I see some serious issues with this team.

This defense is not enough to make anyone a believer. There were numerous of blown coverages, and gaping holes in the passing game. Where a much experienced, and better QB would have exploited. Panko just made a lot of dumb mistakes, like throwing into triple coverage.

This defense is playing as well as it can. And sure I take my hat off to Bill, and the guys that are buying into what he's selling. If anyone honestly thinks they're prime for a SB run, then you're seriously going to be disappointed.

And really the defense is not what has me the most worried right now. Surprisingly it is the offense, and this "funk" Brady obviously still seems to be in. I thought maybe he snapped out of it last week. But he didn't. Again he looked overwhelmed with the blitz, he was getting anxiety attacks from the pocket collapsing on him. What was with the intentional grounding? Are you kidding. A guy comes near him, he just panics and throws it away right away. I mean, WTF! I think he had time to wait a split second, and deliver a strike to Branch. And he is looking surprisingly inaccurate, again.

Maybe he's hurt! I don't know what it is, but he looked so awful last night. Even the positive plays he did make were just bail out plays from Gronk and co.

If Brady is going to have a lot more games like this going forward, the Pats have no prayer. It's something to be worried about. One or two bad games is no biggie. It's not just bad play, it's just quite obvious something is seriously off with him right now.

Last edited:
The Patriots were suppose to crush the Chiefs.

34-3 isn't a crushing score to you?

I'm really worried about Brady, and that's something I thought I'd never say. I don't know if he's hurt, or what, but he looks off. Outside the Jets game he's been looking pretty average, to bad for consecutive weeks.

It's common knowledge that Brady has a bone bruise in his elbow. It's something that's progressively getting better as the season goes on.

It's common knowledge that Brady has a bone bruise in his elbow. It's something that's progressively getting better as the season goes on.

Offensively we had 14 TD points....21 if you add garbage time.
The truth is that we are yet to prove we can beat a great team. I hope the defense would continue to get better because Brady isn't playing like the Brady we know.
This win was good but I really wasn't impressed with Brady.

The score doesn't mean anything to me. The Pats didn't have to show up, literally, and they were still going to walk out with a win. There was nothing impressive about that win. Any half decent team would have blown them out.

I don't buy it is just the injury. Yes, I notice the bone bruise in his elbow is causing some of his throws to not look as crisp. Which leads me to think that injury could be more serious than we all think. That's not what has me the most concern about Brady.

There's something else about him that's just really off. He looks easily rattled and shaken in the pocket more than ever this season. His pocket awareness, field vision, and poise has all plummet.

So no one said "WTF" on the first possession for the game, where Brady saw a little pressure, and panicked, and just threw the ball away? I mean really? I

That was so bizarre. It was so not Tom Brady like I thought I was imagining that.

There were plenty of other times Brady just looked completely uncomfortable, and unsure of himself whenever there was a hint of pressure. It is quite obvious he is really struggling with blitz happy teams that don't give him clean pockets as of late. It's like drilled into his head now.

I never thought I'd say this. Right now, it feels so EASY to defend Brady. Just bring pressure, the entire game, and it will get to him. Whenever a team gets a little pressure, it has disrupted his rhythm completely! This is Tom Brady, a HOF QB! It's not suppose to be that easy!

I'm sure everyone wants to pretend like this is not a problem now. Just wait until it becomes the Pats undoing in a big game. Fans will feel differently then.

Last edited:
3266 65.4 25 10 102.5

Cut him.

"There's something else about him that's just really off. He looks easily rattled and shaken in the pocket more than ever this season. His pocket awareness, field vision, and poise has all plummet."

Honestly, do you even watch him? Did you see the Jets game last week? He was absolutely unflappable. That BS called-back TD was one of the best plays he's ever made.

Last night: 2/0, a rating of 109, and a bunch of easy drops...two of those for TDs.

I say again...Sweet Christmas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill