PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NOTE TO REFS: Chandler Jones is no longer a rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be clear, though, Jones has been on the team for two years now. I'm not singling out one call. It's the repetitive stuff. He's held here and there? No big deal. I just can't see how a tackle can grab his facemask and twist his head skyward 10 times a game.

I agree with you that it's frustrating to watch, but it isn't that they're targeting Jones it's that he creates a penalty that the league opts to not enforce. If this site is correct Offensive Holding - 2012 - NFL Penalty Stats Tracker - List/Statistics/Data of NFL Penalties - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 they call just over 1 holding penalty against per game if Jones is creating 5+ blatant infractions a game chances are 80+% are going uncalled.

The game that Chandler Jones got me excited for him being on the team was the Cardinals game last year. He dominated an entire series (first, second, and third down) by drawing holds, getting sacks, and blowing up plays. A series or two later, he strips Kolb on a pursuit. We haven't seen that Chandler Jones, probably since those first two games of his rookie season.

Since then, he's been a guy who flashes here and there, basically another Ninkovich. Ninkovich is a great Robin, but we need a Batman, and Jones isn't that right now. We haven't seen Jones go out there and just dominate, holding linemen be damned.

The game that Chandler Jones got me excited for him being on the team was the Cardinals game last year. He dominated an entire series (first, second, and third down) by drawing holds, getting sacks, and blowing up plays. A series or two later, he strips Kolb on a pursuit. We haven't seen that Chandler Jones, probably since those first two games of his rookie season.

Since then, he's been a guy who flashes here and there, basically another Ninkovich. Ninkovich is a great Robin, but we need a Batman, and Jones isn't that right now. We haven't seen Jones go out there and just dominate, holding linemen be damned.

Kinda hard to dominate when you have 2 guys on you doing the holding.. BTW, put on a football helmet and have someone grab the facemask and jerk it sideways. Then tell me again how it's not a big deal..

Some of it's perception, and his numbers are pretty good, but the Chandler Jones whose play got everyone hoping for that athletic edge guy everyone covets is not the same Chandler Jones we're seeing right now.

Did you see that Julio Jones catch from Monday Night? Think Cro was sneaking in a little DPI? Absolutely, but Julio Jones is an incredible talent, and he overcame the cheating opposition. Jones was destroying his blocker in the trenches early last season, and he is not doing that now.

All of this holding is the same treatment every talented end faces, and those who excel manage to overcome it. Chandler Jones isn't seeing anything that Watt or a sober Aldon Smith doesn't see.

I keep my eye on him most games. He goes all out and creates absolute havoc. It's a pleasure to watch him play. He's unreal. This is why I posted this thread. Tackles are doing whatever they can to prevent the havoc he's causing. Now, I admit to not watching Julius Peppers and others of that caliber that much. And maybe JJ Watt is too much of a handful (I do focus on him when he plays) for tackles to try similar things. Maybe this is why it bugs me. I don't mind the holds but some of the stuff goes above and beyond.

All of this holding is the same treatment every talented end faces, and those who excel manage to overcome it. Chandler Jones isn't seeing anything that Watt or a sober Aldon Smith doesn't see.

True. Sober Aldon Smith has Justin Smith holding offensive linemen for him.

I keep my eye on him most games. He goes all out and creates absolute havoc. It's a pleasure to watch him play. He's unreal. This is why I posted this thread. Tackles are doing whatever they can to prevent the havoc he's causing. Now, I admit to not watching Julius Peppers and others of that caliber that much. And maybe JJ Watt is too much of a handful (I do focus on him when he plays) for tackles to try similar things. Maybe this is why it bugs me. I don't mind the holds but some of the stuff goes above and beyond.

I used to watch just Seymour every snap, but then he got hurt and became less exciting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Jones employs any bull rush moves anymore.

Jones last year had wilfork getting double teamed, jones now is the only real threat. 2 rooks, Kelly and jones aren't that fierce. With a healthy wilfork, jones, Kelly and Buchanan/ninko we could get to the QB. Now I am afraid, getting pressure is gonna be harder for jones, especially if Kelly is out.

I would bet that if you looked in every teams fans forum you would find a thread with complaints about their top pass rusher constantly getting illegally held.

I used to watch just Seymour every snap, but then he got hurt and became less exciting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Jones employs any bull rush moves anymore.

I think we all hope Jones is not one of those few games wonder type of guys,you know the kind of player that shines for a few games then his career goes off into the sunset.

I think we all hope Jones is not one of those few games wonder type of guys,you know the kind of player that shines for a few games then his career goes off into the sunset.

The PFW guys were all over Jones all summer calling for this epic year two jump; he's put on 10 lbs of muscle, he's been training MMA, he's been hanging with Chuck Norris. It sounded great, but I don't see that tenacity and dominance we saw before his injury last year. If he's still got leg issues (or worse, he's mentally affected by it), and that's why he can't plant and bull rush, it would make sense. Orakpo was a monster until the juice caught up to him and his body broke down :eek:

I'll watch Jones a little more intently this Sunday now.

The PFW guys were all over Jones all summer calling for this epic year two jump; he's put on 10 lbs of muscle, he's been training MMA, he's been hanging with Chuck Norris. It sounded great, but I don't see that tenacity and dominance we saw before his injury last year. If he's still got leg issues (or worse, he's mentally affected by it), and that's why he can't plant and bull rush, it would make sense. Orakpo was a monster until the juice caught up to him and his body broke down :eek:

I'll watch Jones a little more intently this Sunday now.

Watching Carlos Dunlap last week who I was really hoping we drafted a few years ago made me wonder what might have been.

I wanted Carlos Dunlap, but Cunningham over Dunlap didn't look as bad in 2010 as it does now. Cunningham actually turned in a decent rookie year as a 3-4 OLB with solid all around play; now, that pick looks horrendous as opposed to a few years ago when it was just a head scratcher made even more of a head scratcher by the switch to 4-3 a year later.

But we could, and do, go on about BB the GM forever.

I wanted Carlos Dunlap, but Cunningham over Dunlap didn't look as bad in 2010 as it does now. Cunningham actually turned in a decent rookie year as a 3-4 OLB with solid all around play; now, that pick looks horrendous as opposed to a few years ago when it was just a head scratcher made even more of a head scratcher by the switch to 4-3 a year later.

But we could, and do, go on about BB the GM forever.

Anybody that watched any shred of Gator football hated Cunningham over Dunlap. It was only the homers, most of which probably didn't watch a single Florida game that season and only read reports on the internet, that absolutely loved that pick.

I don't think anyone loved that pick, but it was classic BB preference of jacks of all trades, masters of none over the guy who does one thing well, so it was predictable. His second round selections haven't been any less baffling since then.

He does, and that's when most of the facemask-helmet jacking happens.

Has he ? Maybe because I haven't seen all of the games, but 3.5 sacks in 5 games isn't exactly a monster. I need more out of him before I consider him one of the top 3 DEs in football. I need him to be in the top 10 in sacks. That's just my opinion.

Sacks are not everything; he's a factor on almost every single play. He causes a lot of problems to the other team's OL. It's just a matter of time before those rushes translate into more sacks.

Sacks are not everything; he's a factor on almost every single play. He causes a lot of problems to the other team's OL. It's just a matter of time before those rushes translate into more sacks.

There is a Jones on this defense the past 2 games that has more than 1 sack .......and it's Chris Jones,not Chandler....that alone is a surprising thing.

note...TB isn't a rookie...start to call holds against him....wait

When you're good, you can get around a lot of holds. He needs to get better at not getting caught up in them...bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back