PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Notable NFL Roster Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I woul trade Richards for a 6th at this point.

Has Jordan Richards been sucking that badly? I've only been able to watch 1/3 games during the preseason.

So since Amendola was not put on PUP must mean hs is good to go week 1 i assume.

According to Jeff Howe, Pats have until Saturday at 4pm to decide what DA will do the first 6 weeks.

Has Jordan Richards been sucking that badly? I've only been able to watch 1/3 games during the preseason.

He was a few steps behind on some deep routes in man coverage, if I recall. That doesn't mean he can't play, just that he has defined strengths and weaknesses. He's been dynamite on special teams, and he seems to line everyone up properly and help with communication in the secondary. Not giving up on him just yet. His problem is that Chung does his job better, so it's hard for him to get snaps.

He seems to have regressed in coverage and he missed a couple of tackles vs CHI

I'm trying to not to be too critical but I can't help myself sometimes....

He was a few steps behind on some deep routes in man coverage, if I recall. That doesn't mean he can't play, just that he has defined strengths and weaknesses. He's been dynamite on special teams, and he seems to line everyone up properly and help with communication in the secondary. Not giving up on him just yet. His problem is that Chung does his job better, so it's hard for him to get snaps.

I'm not going to pretend to know about ST, but for every special teams play I've seen him participate in (and there's plenty that he was in that I didn't pay attention to him in), he's looked like far from dynamite. I think it's his lack of speed.

As someone said he's Tavon Wilson 2.0. For some reason BB feels that role is worth a second round pick every 4 years to save cap rather than paying a veteran more who might not be as good anymore.

I wouldn't. A 6th has little value and you invested a 2nd round pick him in. He could very well still improve and grow into coverage more. Though he has not made the 2nd year jump to this point it happens later for some guys than others.
Richards is Tavon Wilson replacement, he was brought in a year early so Tavon could groom him to be the best #11 DB in the NFL.

We should also keep in mind Chung did not set the world on fire his 2nd year. He even left for elsewhere for 1 year and look at him now as one of the top 10 strong safeties in the NFL.

I doubt Richards has what it takes to ever cover a good WR but can he learn to cover a TE, hold a zone and be good in the box while also making sure guys are in the right spot? I think all of those things are possible for him. I think to give up so early would be a mistake. If we gave us this early on Chung he might not be here doing what he is right now. Unlike Chung it is easier to wait for Richards cause we already have a guy doing his job well.

richards was covering jeffries in the bears game right?

Hard to fault the kid for getting beat by alshon.

If Richards isn't nursing a leg injury, then he's slow as molasses.

LB Mingo runs a 4.58, Richards 4.65. I'm the first one to discount track measurements, but when you play slow also...

NFL draft scout has different numbers [pro day?] the lowest of which would be fine, so who knows? I do remember that Chung was just out of control, not slow, and he corrected that. If Richards just can't keep up with anyone, I don't know how you improve that.

We'll see.

We should also keep in mind Chung did not set the world on fire his 2nd year. He even left for elsewhere for 1 year and look at him now as one of the top 10 strong safeties in the NFL.

I doubt Richards has what it takes to ever cover a good WR but can he learn to cover a TE, hold a zone and be good in the box while also making sure guys are in the right spot? I think all of those things are possible for him. I think to give up so early would be a mistake. If we gave us this early on Chung he might not be here doing what he is right now. Unlike Chung it is easier to wait for Richards cause we already have a guy doing his job well.
Chung had an excellent second year. He began to struggle when we moved from a zone to man scheme in his 3rd season.

Didn't take long for Humber to find a home.

Paul Kruger picked up by Saints.

Interesting roster move:

Source: QB Zach Mettenberger has been claimed by the Steelers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes