PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(Not Very) Special Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagg

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Our kick returns look sloooow, sluggish barley cracking the 20 everytime meanwhile Pit was a shoestring away from some huge gains every time, we need some speed back there badly.

I knew Ghost was going to miss that FG and he did and it cost us. The onside kick was a joke (although I didnt like the call at a all with 3 TO's..different thread). We just lack any punch in the return game whatsoever. A big return really was needed in a game like that but we are so just very average in all phases.

How about a fake punt or a reverse once in awhile.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we attempt a fake punt in that Jets playoff game that ended badly?

It just seems there's been a falloff in special teams performance since Brad Seely departed.

-Jamman

Last edited:
The patriots under Belichick had NEVER had a successful on-side kick. Belichick was victem to the last successful patriot onside kick as coach of the Browns.

Our kick returns look sloooow, sluggish barley cracking the 20 everytime meanwhile Pit was a shoestring away from some huge gains every time, we need some speed back there badly.

I knew Ghost was going to miss that FG and he did and it cost us. The onside kick was a joke (although I didnt like the call at a all with 3 TO's..different thread). We just lack any punch in the return game whatsoever. A big return really was needed in a game like that but we are so just very average in all phases.

Lol the onsides kick was an embarrasment. It looked like gostkowski tripped.

I'm not sure if the stats will bear this out, but they seemed to cover kicks pretty well, except for the opening KO. But they seemed to have trouble getting the many Steeler KO's past the 20, except when they kicked it out of bounds.

Gostkowski's "onside kick" attempt will be the stuff of blooper videos for a long time...embarrassingly bad. I've never put him vaguely in the same class as Adam so it doesn't surprise when he misses the occasional 40 yarder in important games and important situations. He is who is. Solid most of the time but not a guy you expect to make a kick that "has to be made" from outside of 40 yards in a big game or who will get even a whisper about going to Canton five years after he retires.

Kick Returns have been pathetic

What are they thinking?

Ridley was returning before. He is NOT a shifty runner who is going to make a ton of people miss, he's a downhill runner that might make 1 guy miss.

Woodhead didnt look much better returning kicks.

Both of them STRUGGLED to make it back to the 20 yard line and posed no threat at all.

Is there any doubt that Brandon Tate could have done better?

Re: Kick Returns have been pathetic

Tate just took a punt to the house yesterday. Not only did he have similar WR production as Ocho, he was cheaper, and was actually good in the return game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes