Welcome to PatsFans.com

Not surprisingly, the whacked out opinions about rape in the GOP are widespread

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Phokus, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What, you didn't think Akin was some sort of aberration, did you? The conservative mind is a depraved and diseased mind. Now if only Republicans were more honest about their beliefs like Akin is, Republicans would never be elected again (outside of all of the backwards southern red states) and our country would quickly unscrew itself and maybe we could heal as a nation.

‘God’s Little Shield’: A Short History Of The False No-Pregnancy-From-Rape Theory | TPM2012

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +896 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

the stupidity in all of this makes me shake my head. Let's suppose the GOP eased up on their abortion stance. let's say for the sake of argument rather than list all the issues I'll just say if they're stance is a 2 and the democrats is an 8 on a 10 scale.

So suppose they lightened it up to a 3 or a 4 ... does Obama get any defection votes? There's too much religion behind the platform of their abortion stance. Right now America as a whole is not high on religion being in politics. This is a disaster in stupidity.

it's their platform and they feel it's the right way to stand. Okay ... I'll give it to them on their core beliefs but your parties job is first and foremost to win the Presidency, the Senate and Congress. With this stance they could go back to losing out in all 3 areas. Republicans in close races just reached for their meds ... they're going to need them. A gift wrapped present for Obama and the democrats.

Aikin and Isaac both threatening to blow away the GOP convention next week in Tampa.

To prove a point based in religion no less. I won't lose sleep over it. Obama/ Romney ... romney/Obama ... whoever ... not much will change anyways.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +439 / 6 / -9

Well, you see how the local nut-jobs on this board wear their zealotry like a badge of honor. Those opinions ain't widespread enough anymore, but those who hold them want them to be widespread, and they're likely to scream them ever louder and more shrilly now that their zealotry has taken them into a blind alley they can't escape.

So, we'll see how easy or hard it is to "make this about Obama screwing up," as the game-plan seems to be. Seems to righties I talk to that Akin is all about how human a fetus is, blah blah blah, but people I talk to who aren't wedded to liberal/conservative or red/blue are like "that guy is creepy."

Also seems like downticket races are going to be influenced by this, not just top of the ticket.

What rank-and-file pubbies don't get is how wedge issues work. The reason abortion worked for them so well in the 80s and 90s is that people would go "well... I hate everything else the pubbies stand for but we should let them have their way on abortion because babies are cute and fetuses are almost babies."

They weren't thinking of the moment the sperm hit the egg. They weren't thinking their IUD would be considered a deadly weapon. They weren't thinking of pubbie blabbermouths slut-shaming on national radio. They weren't thinking of saying unless they wanted it, women can't get pregnant. In short, they weren't thinking of today's republican party.

Now the righty zombies will keep trying to talk about some tiny number of "partial birth abortions" and crap like that totally on the edges.

All people are hearing is blah blah blah blah, because the full implications of pubbie zealotry are on display. Pubbies are busted. Their message is basically "women are barely controlled cheatin' lyin' rape-cryin' bad children, and ladies, unless you're a whore you'll vote for us anyway."

Hey, it's workin' for Akin, right? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Their "wedge issue" used to be "but a fetus is just like a baby - awww, baby cute. Mommy, what are you doing mommy..."

Now it's "vote how we tell you to you fu(king whore."

Now then... which way does that wedge cut?

No wonder the few sober pubbies that are left want to keep their freakish views on women under wraps. But they can't help themselves... and whenever this stuff comes up, the base gets on their Red State Regular blazers and spring into action.

Once again, they've written into their platform no abortions, no women's rights to choose, evah, no exceptions... and of course, they figure they'll just have their fringie little plank in the platform, and nobody cares.

But now there's a news peg, it's fair game to talk about the platform this round. Wonder if that'll be in the spotlight.

If so, good luck pubbies.

PFnV
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Hokus Pokus....I mean, Phokus!:D
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

Poor Mitt, he does not know what to think.. may have to bring in Rove to help him figure it out...

[​IMG]
  6. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The republicans go "medieval" and we thought they wanted to go back to the good ole '50's

'Legitimate rape'

'Legitimate rape' – a medieval medical conceptThe idea that rape victims cannot get pregnant is a very old medical theory

The idea that rape victims cannot get pregnant has long roots. The legal position that pregnancy disproved a claim of rape appears to have been instituted in the UK sometime in the 13th century. One of the earliest British legal texts, Fleta, has a clause in the first book of the second volume stating that:

"If, however, the woman should have conceived at the time alleged in the appeal, it abates, for without a woman's consent she could not conceive."
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

Comments from Sharon Barnes of the Missouri Republican Central Committee:

8. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

wow they jumped the shark

they then raped the shark
  9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Dragging Obama into this is clearly a deflection and I agree with you that the notion that "real rape" as an effective natural birth control method is so retarded that I can't put it into words.

I think you're being a little harsh though on people that look at a fetus as more than just a wart in a woman's body until birth. There is in many, many people a much stronger sense that a fetus is more than just a cute, almost a baby wedge for politicians to kick around.

My daughter is due in December and I can assure you that she feels a strong bond with her son to be. She's deciding on names, has an album with ultrasound pictures in it and is buying up clothes and toys for him.

I don't think you pin pure politics on every "choose life" advocate out there.
  10. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Not focusing on the rest of the post, but that bolded line is one of the funniest things I have seen posted on this place in a minute.

So, if I follow correctly, pubbies breakdown into two groups, the "drunk" group, which runs its mouth regarding "women's" issues; such as Akin, who says stupid, archaic ***** when sitting in front of a mic, and then the "sober" pubbies who don't say it in public, but all go home and think it but later can't help themselves? Are "pubbies" in this case the public/representative pubbies, or Joe and Jane Pubbie who live in your complex?

If it is the former; the pubbie representatives in our government, sure, I can see it generally (at least the most vocal members of the modern brand), but if it is the latter, I personally find that to be a pretty pathetic statement; one which is no better blanket statements our "local nut-jobs" heave the left's way.

How you can boil something (in this case potentially an entire group of voters who sit on the other side of the aisle) down to either you're a "drunk" who says really really really dumb stuff or a "sober" and don't say really really dumb stuff...but will eventually, is astounding to me.

Listen, I have no love for the modern Republican view on women's issues, the blending of "Christian beliefs" and politics isn't for me. But I think there are quite a few people who view the organism growing inside of them as more than just a wedge issue. Not to mention, I'm sure there are many people, who on a personal level are pro life, but recognize the right of a woman to choose what is best for her. Yet they're all "freakish". Talk about fighting intolerance.....with intolerance. The irony is almost too good.

It is far easier (and lazy) to lump people into the smallest number of groups as possible. But maybe you were going for easy.....

D
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +439 / 6 / -9

No, I don't pin "pure politics" on every "pro-life" advocate, I just see them as ideologues trying to put their faith, hope, belief, etc. into the nation's laws. And I certainly don't cast any aspersions on happy expectant moms to be who just can't wait for the adventure to begin... that's why it's a misnomer to talk about "pro-abortion" people. All of us were babies, and most of us have been there with a great deal of joy in their hearts when a baby was being born. There's no political position demanding that abortion be mandated for all, or something like that... people who are pro-choice just recognize that it's up to the woman with the pregnancy to decide a very hard personal issue.

In their zealotry, though, I think the righties have gone far over the line. They're looking for a more and more ideologically pure platform and program. So if rape and incest are inconvenient, they'll minimize it. If women like your daughter can look forward to motherhood and they often include their ultrasounds in it, they'll force other pregnant women to get ultrasounds they don't want, to make them want to carry the pregnancy to term.

My personal thought on it (if I ever get pregnant,) goes right back to my religion. In short, a fetus isn't just a wart, and it isn't a human being either. Probably that would have a lot to do with what I chose, were it me.

But my personal thought on it also goes back to class. I'm a middle-class guy who's lived paycheck-to-paycheck for many years of his life, but not in poverty. I'm done with my education. I've pretty much done my thing in terms of chances of marrying, and I've pretty much established a career.

Just as a fetus isn't like a wart in my eyes, a woman's life -- her dreams, her pursuits, her loves -- aren't just so much self-absorption in my eyes. Being a 17-year-old straight A student who gets pregnant is sort of out of my wheelhouse in terms of what she woulda coulda shoulda been. She's got a very personal decision to make, and only she will bear the consequences. So some ayatollah in Washington says she should tell Brown to take a hike, start "dancing" to support her and the kid (or just put the burden on mom and dad, even if they're not doing well,) etc.

Maybe she doesn't feel like your daughter about her pregnancy. Maybe she never will.

And if she's been raped, then forced to carry a baby to term, it's a much higher chance she won't.

So I do think that the potential for human life would complicate the decision for me. I also think that I'll never face that decision. For those who do face it, I think it's hard enough without the state sticking its big nose into their crotch.

Abortion's not murder, it's abortion. It's not wart removal, it's abortion. It's a legal procedure and I promise you it's sometimes for the best -- and the one who really knows is the woman who will change her entire life to care for a child as a mother cares for a child... not as someone forced to give birth.

I've thought a lot about the holocaust -- the real holocaust, not the fake one on right-to-life posters -- because of family history. For a time there were populations of Jews trapped between countries -- they had basically ended up trapped between two countries where they were pretty much subject to horrific discrimination and soon would be subject to mass murder. Germany was one... I believe Czechoslovakia or Austria may have been the other... I don't think it was Poland. In any event, no country would let them in, and both wanted them dead. They committed suicide in droves.

One's religion may have an "it's never bad enough for suicide" plank in its platform, but you, and I, never lived that. We never watched our children or siblings starve. We can't judge them.

Similarly, while my religion is not extremist on the question of abortion, and indeed graphically advocates hacking a fetus to pieces if the mother's life is in danger, if it were I think it would be pointless to trot it out when discussing someone else's life choices.

And the civic law is unequivocal: Abortion is a legal medical procedure.

Beyond that... it's very easy for me to spew a lot of nonsense someone wants me to parrot in support of the "rights" of an unthinking and unfeeling potential person.... while ignoring the rights of a thinking, functioning, struggling actual person.

I guess you could consider me an advocate of the rights of the born. Why can't we think a little about them?

I mean, unless we believe they're all just worthless sluts, right? Ding ding ding!

PFnV
  12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I don't disagree with you I just think whenever the choice for life option comes up it gets lumped in with trying outlawing abortion, or at least it seems that way.
  13. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

I'm not a Republican, but this is weak.

Four guys over fifteen years plus a second-hand account of something someone supposedly said in a chat room means that it is widespread?

(BTW, forum rules limit quoting articles to four sentences.)
  14. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here' have 2 more.

Kirk Cameron and Missouri GOP Leader Sharon Barnes Both Speak Out in Defense of Todd Akin's "Legitimate Rape" Comments | Complex

Also, this is a very pervasive belief amongst republicans. It's just that most of them are smart enough to not speak out about it.

But in any case, what's more offensive is the legislation that comes out from these beliefs anyway.
  15. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Wow! A whopping six people out of several millions. It's a landslide.

FAIL.

With all respect for your powers of mind-reading, I have no idea how you can say that.

It's fine if you don't like their policies. Stick to that as it is what is actually known.
  16. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

How could anyone reasonably know that and state it so factually?

And we are really going to use Kirk Cameron as the barometer?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

I think "choice" is often a moot point, since less than 50% of hospital rape-victim protocols even contain the mentioning of the morning after pill - much less offer it - to their rape victim patients.

EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTION FOR VICTIMS OF SEXUAL ASSAULT IN PENNSYLVANIA HOSPITALS :: American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania
  18. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's another 4000+ that actually took the time to sign a pledge that they still support akin. Do you really want me to continue making you look stupid?

Still Standing | Todd Akin for U.S. Senate 2012 | Missouri
  19. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Phokus....these are still crazy low numbers.....and your thread stated "the whacked out opinions about rape in the GOP are widespread"

So the US pop in 2011 was est. to be 311M (Source 1)
    Of that, 76.3% are of voting age (Source 1) - 237,744,633
    Current party strength (Source 2) puts Republicans at roughly 30% of the voting population (plus any Independents which lean that way, but lets leave them out for a moment).

So 30% of 237.7M voting eligible people = 71,323,390 people.

I ask....4000 people on a petition of support for this guy, Akin (whose statements I can only describe as the [r-word banned in MA], is proof of "the whacked out opinions about rape in the GOP are widespread"?

Really???......Really?

To use widespread...IMHO, you are talking numbers between 30-50% of a population....4k represents 0.00561%

Now I am sure, to your point, there are many more people who do in fact share Mr. Akin's misguided/ugly opinion, but to say it is "widespread" is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge stretch (based on what has been presented so far).

Sources -
    1. USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
    2. Political party strength in U.S. states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  20. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL, the petition just came up. How many people have internet access. How many people even know about this petition?

Oh and, here's yet ANOTHER republican with a really ****ty opinion about rape

Rep. Steve King: I’ve Never Heard Of A Girl Getting Pregnant From Statutory Rape Or Incest | TPM2012

"Need i go on?"

The GOP is basically a toilet that hasn't been flushed for years.