Welcome to PatsFans.com

Not Sure Where To Put This So....

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by PatriotsInGA, Aug 22, 2009.

1. PatriotsInGA

PatriotsInGA Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

How's everybody going to look for Bill?
    Heard the western half of Bill is going to destroy Eastern Mass.
    I'm surprised it didn't destroy Florida.
  2. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wind and tide problems for the coast, riptides and waves causing problems for swimmers. Otherwise OK for the area.

Canadian Maritime provinces will get hit head on...especially Nova Scotia.
  3. PatriotsInGA

PatriotsInGA Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

Hmmm...... for some reason AccuWeather.com is saying the path has changed. Now over 1/2 the storm is supposed to hit eastern Mass? Must be a mistake I'm guessing.
  4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 24 / -45

No Jersey Selected

Right now it is a Catagory 2 which is pretty soft (hurricane-wise anyway). As a Florida resident who has seen many hurricanes in his lifetime, I can tell you that if it does make landfall over Mass. then it's both the south and north end of the eye that you want to avoid as those are the strongest areas.

With a Catagory 2, you're looking at extensive sophet and shingle damage to your home as well as some screen enclosure damage should you have a patio, possible - albeit light - tornadoes, flooding, and power outages that could last up to a week. That is if it makes landfall directly over Mass. If it doesn't and just continues to head north, the most you'll probably get is a few feeder bands which cause torrential downpours and flooding. Possible short power outages.

Catagory 1 and Catagory 2 hurricanes are kind of scary, but they are more or less just a big pain in the ass. Catagory 3 is when it starts to get terrifying. You should seek shelter in that case. Catagory 4 or Catagory 5... forget about it. Get as far west as you possibly can. That is maximum destruction.

In my life, I have seen Cat. 1, Cat. 2, Cat. 3 (stayed in my house for that one... that was fun), and Cat. 5 hurricanes. The Cat. 5 was Hurricane Andrew and my parents' house in Margate was completely leveled... as was the entire neighborhood. I don't think they expect Bill to strengthen anymore, but if you're looking at a Cat. 3 or more, better head to some sort of shelter or a relative/friend's house that is out of town.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  5. PatriotsInGA

PatriotsInGA Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

Good to get some advice from somebody who's been through one. Living in Augusta all we get is absolute downpours and maybe some wind.
  6. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 24 / -45

No Jersey Selected

Oh yeah, and good luck to you guys should it make landfall over your area. Not sure the last time a hurricane made it's first landfall up north but I am pretty sure that many of you have never seen a hurricane before. Stay inside or attend a hurricane party and get drunk before the lights go out. But most of all, stay safe and keep a radio handy as there is a real good chance you'll lose power.
  7. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's showing three bands of heavy rain only from the storm hitting, one over Cape Cod heading northwest while the other is over the central/western part of the state, and the third over Essex County heading to New Hampshire. Nothing too bad, mostly clouds so far.

The bulk of the storm is about 300-500 miles out to see, it's Canada that has to worry about the hurricane.
  8. SmokeShowin

SmokeShowin Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Last Hurricane to directly hit New England was 18 years ago on my birthday, August 19th. I remember it because I started walking up to my friend Kenny's house but my mom called him and he picked me up. We spent the day watching trees come down in his yard.

I'm hoping the rain stays offshore. I am hoping to take the motorcycle to Narragansett, RI to have a cigar and watch the surfers on the huge waves. It's gonna be easier to sqeeze the bike in between cars to park. LOL!