Welcome to PatsFans.com

(Not so) Stupid football questions

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by neuronet, Dec 1, 2010.

1. neuronet

neuronet In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +34 / 2 / -1

#87 Jersey

What is the job description of the NFL commissioner?

I just did some research on this question, and came up with....

If you look at the NFL Bylaws, you will find his job description starting on page 28, and it says the "League shall select and employ a person of unquestioned integrity" whose job is to:
    1. Help resolve disputes among management, players, officials, and employees of the NFL.
    2. Discipline employees for misconduct (the disciplinary action can include fines and suspensions).
    3. Maintain facilities needed to conduct the business of the NFL (e.g., the league office).
    4. Take legal action against people who are engaging in behavior detrimental to the NFL.
    5. Select, manage, and pay officiating crews.
    6. Run a public relations department, and oversee the broadcasting rights to games.

2. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +726 / 1 / -3

This article details what is a legal pick and what is an illegal pick on pass plays; complete with four large diagrammed photos.

Patriots, Broncos excel at running pick plays, which are mostly legal | The MMQB

There are two very important points to keep in mind when talking about legal verus illegal picks: within one yard of the line of scrimmage, anything goes—you can block the defender as much as you want and it doesn’t matter if the ball is in the air or not; but beyond that one-yard buffer it is illegal for an offensive player to initiate contact with a defender.​

3. NYinFL

NYinFL On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How much longer do you think Brady will play?

4. All22PatsFan

All22PatsFan Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#32 Jersey

Article on Zone Coverages

Great article if you want to learn about basic coverages.

Breaking Down Split Safety Zone Coverages | Jim Light's Football Blog

"Split safety zone coverages fall into three main categories. Cover 2, Cover 4 and Cover 6. I’m going to go through each of these coverages, as well as some of their variations and how they work"

If you want to learn more about Cover 6 Matt Bowen has done videos on it.

The Patriots run a lot of Cover 3 and Cover 1 with Dmac as single high or center fielder, Gregory was a pretty good robber. They can also run more cover 6 this year with Revis .Harmon fits the Cover 2 mold pretty well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,148 / 9 / -6

Re: Article on Zone Coverages

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

I don't see the Pats running a ton of Cover 2 or any 2 high safety package this year - if I had to guess, maybe on 25% or so of the defensive snaps. Vanilla Cover 2 is really hard to run without effective pressure, and that's getting harder and harder to achieve, especially with 4 man rushes against modern passing offenses. 6 months ago Andy Benoit of Peter King's MMQB series discussed the relative demise of Cover 2 schemes:

The once vaunted Cover 2 pass coverage is on the verge of extinction | The MMQB with Peter King

But although Cover 1 and Cover 3 will probably be the workhorse defensive schemes, I expect a fair amount of disguise, baiting, and post-snap switching of coverages. As Matt Bowen has noted:

Patriots' Secondary Additions Prove Bill Belichick's Ability to Adapt | Bleacher Report

How the Pats use their talent in the secondary is going to be an interesting storyline this season.

6. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,148 / 9 / -6

• Like Like x 1
  7. Big-T

Big-T Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,051 / 15 / -8

#51 Jersey

With the current make up of the Defense, running single high safety then anything from a 5-3 defense to a 4-3 but with 3 CBs and 1 safety instead of the traditional 2 of each would be nice to see. Revis, Browner, Dennard & McCourty sounds more appealing than Revis, Browner, McCourty & Harmon for example.

8. All22PatsFan

All22PatsFan Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#32 Jersey

With McCourty at FS, and with man CBs an Revis, Dennard, Browner I expect as ton of Cover 1. They will mix things up though which is always good.

9. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +3,148 / 9 / -6

Exactly. I'm expecting about 67-75% single high FS (Cover 1, Cover 3, Cover 7). They can do a lot more things knowing that they can win in man coverage. The zone coverages will get worked into the mix, and throw some disguises and post-snap adjustments at opposing offenses just to "mix things up". I expect a lot of baiting and confusing of opposing QBs - they kind of thing we used to see, back in the day.

10. yopats

yopats On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Question: Regarding Cover 1 Safety Defense

Question: -- If you have a legitimate C1 safety, what are the merits to a SS over an additional CB or these new coverage LBs?

11. Big-T

Big-T Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,051 / 15 / -8

#51 Jersey

re: Question: Regarding Cover 1 Safety Defense

Or even an additional defensive lineman...

With the way the league is going, throwing out different looks and being creative with what you do on defense seems like the way to go.

Look at the current roster...who would you rather have as the 11th player on the field in a "base" defense:
    Chris Jones/Armond Armstead
    Alfonzo Dennard (Logan Ryan while Browner is suspended)
    Duron Harmon

Mayo is pretty good in coverage, Collins has shown he can cover like a Strong Safety so depending on what the offense comes out showing 3 corners, 1 safety or 1 safety, 2 corners and 5 DL seems better in regards to putting your best 11 men out, right?

Having Revis locking down half the field allows the team to get more creative with what they do and it does mean a 2nd Safety on the field isn't really needed in most cases over an extra CB, LB or DL.

12. Marqui

Marqui In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +313 / 16 / -6

Cover 1 SS still plays safety, just closer to the LOS.

13. PP2

PP2 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +736 / 7 / -4

#12 Jersey

A SS brings to the safety position, strength and size (over speed and agility) and so he is typically used on the strong side of the field, either rolled up on the RB or playing off the TE. It's not necessarily a matter of being closer to the LOS, but having someone in the backfield that has the tools to stop a RB or TE. Where the FS typically roams, the SS is typically lined up or aligned in run.

14. Marqui

Marqui In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +313 / 16 / -6

I was talking specifically in a Cover 1.

15. unoriginal

unoriginal In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -1

The merits of a coverage LB or SS over a third corner in base Cover 1 is that the former allow you to one-gap against a normal (1TE, 2WR) offensive front. The SS/coverage LB takes the "D" gap on the offense's strong side, and theoretically can defend it. A CB theoretically cannot; but if your CB is Antonine Winfield and your safety is Big Bang Clock in practice that might not be so true.

Having an SS over a coverage linebacker gives you more flexibility in rotating safeties in the deep zone. Having a coverage linebacker over a SS gives you more flexibility in your "front eight" alignment.

Personally I think if you're talking about covering a pass-catching TE, Browner is going to draw that assignment, making him something of a CB/SS hybrid, as he seems physical enough to also take that frontside D gap.

• Like Like x 1
  16. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,721 / 33 / -57

No Jersey Selected

Now take your statement about Browner and imagine the confusion the opposing offense would feel if you have a guy like Pierre-Louis that can handle both the duties of a LB and a SS on the field at the same time. The opposing quarterback won't know who is doing what if you disguise well enough.

17. TomPatriot

TomPatriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 1 / -1

Just to add to the other comments, a SS in a cover 1 can also be the rover, the role Kam Chancellor sometimes plays with the Seahawks. That reduces predictability and adds flexibility to the defense.

18. manxman2601

manxman2601 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +996 / 7 / -2

#24 Jersey

There are a number of prospects that'double up'. Kyle Fuller could be that Winfield corner or someone you can play on the outside. Jimmie Ward can play either safety position or slot corner, Antone Exum, who I prefer on the outside, can of course play safety, Lawrence Joyner as safety or slot and then of course there's Shazier and KPL as linebacker/safety hybrids. If BB is looking to hybridise this secondary, this draft offers a lot of help.

19. Jim Light

Jim Light Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for sharing my article on split safety zone coverages. That was one of my best pieces that I've written. I also have several other pieces on the New England Patriots.

AFC title game preview: The two man game passing concept, Pats running Y stick: AFC Championship Game Preview: The Two Man Game | Jim Light's Football Blog

Breaking down the Pats play action counter pass: Breaking Down the Play Action Counter Pass | Jim Light's Football Blog

Pats running the spot passing concept: Breaking Down the Play Action Counter Pass | Jim Light's Football Blog

Pats use of stacked receivers in the red zone: New England Patriots? Film Study: Stacked Receivers in the Red Zone | Jim Light's Football Blog

Lastly I have Bill Belichick's defensive playbooks from 1984 Giants & 1997 Jets: Bill Belichick?s Defensive Playbooks | Jim Light's Football Blog

20. pctronics0072

pctronics0072 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

What are the official rules/requirements for putting a player on IR?

Lets say a team signs player X as UDFA. The player shows promise. If the team felt that they had enough promise that another year of work would develop them into something special, but did not want to waste a roster spot on them, could they just IR them? That way S/C coaches can continue to work with them and I assume that like Wilfork was, they can be involved in team activities.