Welcome to PatsFans.com

(Not so) Stupid football questions

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by neuronet, Dec 1, 2010.

1. neuronet

neuronet Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

I have a kindergarten understanding of football, many here are PhDs. I hope you don't mind if I ask some simple questions in this thread. Here goes...

A. The other night an announcer said that a corner was being used in 'nickel situations' and that this put pressure on the corner more than usual. What was he talking about?

B. An announcer last night talked about the A slot and B slot in regards to the offensive line and running game (not sure I got the jargon right it went by really fast). What was he referring to?

C. Is there a good web site people can recommend to learn the nature of the different positions on the O- and D-lines? I don't know the difference between a guard and a tackle, for instance.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2011
  2. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Re: Stupid football questions

well, LOL, i might have an elementary diploma, cuz i can answer only the last quesiton....

the offensive line is composed of 5 players, looking at it from behind the line its

left tackle - left guard - center - right gaurd - right tackle

the center is the guy who snaps the ball, the left tackle is usually the best offensive lineman, because he usually protects a QB's blindside

on the Pats Matt Light plays left tackle, logan mankins left gaurd, koppen center, neal/connolly right gaurd, and vollmer right tackle

the names tackle and guard simply distinguish the position, tackles are on the outside, and gaurds on either side of the center....
  3. Dufflebagz

Dufflebagz Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A. A nickel defense is when there are 5 defensive backs on the field (2 safeties and 3 corners). So he probably meant it put more pressure on him because in a lot of cases a corner will have more responsibilities in a nickel defense.

B. I'm guessing he was referring to the A gap and B gap. The A gap is between the Center and Guards and the B gap is between the Guards and Tackles.

C. I don't know a good website, but I can tell you.
    A 4-3 defense would contain:
    defensive end-defensive tackle-defensive Tackle-defensive End
    and a 3-4 (Patriots base package) would be:
    End-tackle-End
    or a player example:
    Wright-Wilfork-Warren

The o-line is set up like this....
    Left tackle-Left Guard-Center-Right Guard-Right Tackle

Hope I helped :D
  4. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +605 / 13 / -12

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  5. TheRealMcCagh

TheRealMcCagh Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A. a nickel back is when the offense lines up a 3 wide reciever set instead of two, so the defense must pull a linemen out and have 5 players in the back (hence nickel). not sure why they would say this is harder for the corner though, maybe because there is only 2 safeties so someone is left alone with their receiver.

B. the A slot and B slot they were probably talking about was when a running back lines up to the side of center and usually up a little (called a slot back). this mostly means they are going to end up blocking a loose linebacker. sometimes they also break loose to catch a pass for a screen or something.

might wanna double check on that, but im pretty sure it's fairly accurate.
  6. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0

There's a lot of people that know way more X's and O's than me, but I'll get you started before they come in with better explanations.

Normally in the defensive secondary there are two cornerbacks and two safetys. Often on passing downs the defense goes with another corner, giving the team five defensive backs (five, as in nickel.) I'm not sure if the announcer was implying more pressure on the third corner (usually a guy covering the slot receiver closer to the line, as opposed to the flanker and split end - receivers furthest from the ball, or true 'wide' receivers) or more pressure on the corners covering those wide receivers. Maybe the announcer was referring to the fact two safetys had to help out three corners rather than two corners, therefore more pressure on each of the three corners since one would be left with no help?

Think of the offensive line: a center in the middle, a left guard and right guard next to him, and after that a left tackle and right tackle. The area between the center and guard is the A gap, the area between the guard and tackle is the B gap, the area between the tackle and tight end is the C gap.

I'll take a look around tomorrow and see what I can find. Maybe others can chime in with some suggestions as well.
  7. sbpatfan

sbpatfan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Patriots also like to use the "Big Nickel." Instead of three corners they use three safeties with two corners. An additional safety, as opposed to a corner, tends to produce better match ups against a TE that a corner might struggle with due to size.

Sometimes you'll see a lot of the Meriweather / Chung / Sanders combo.
  8. Wax Frog

Wax Frog Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Relative to the overall board population, I seem to have a mere HS diploma, or at least be in HS, and even that only because of watching since '86, and having spent way too many hours on the ORIGINAL John Madden Football*. It's why I seldom post, and wisecrack when I do.

Aside from the time investment, another big help in building my understanding way back when were Bud Wilkinson's "Winning Offense/Defense" books, which I used as an aid in learning to design plays in JMF, and since kept for sentimental reasons. They're the only football how-to books I ever bought, so I can't say they're the best, and they are somewhat dated, but I found them very 'newbie-friendly', a good primer on the basics :)

I'd like to note that I appreciate your thread, as I was beginning to feel as if I was the only "dummy" here...

*I still fondly remember being able to fully design my own plays, including wonderfully illegal ones :D I tried an updated version many years later, didn't care for it, mainly because the play design options were all presets.
  9. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 9 / -3

#11 Jersey

I still don't know much, but most of it I learned by lurking here. This is a good place to get that knowledge if you can just pick things up in context :D
  10. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

6th grader here. :D

In regards to A and B, I think it was Gruden who was saying 'A' gap and 'B' gap on the offensive line.. Each team could have there own terminology also. When I played for example the gaps were labeled as 1, 3, 5 on the left side of the offensive linemen, with the holes being between center/guard, guard/tackle and outside the tackle respectively. 2, 4, 6 was on the right side of the line. The quarterback and running backs each are designated a number, QB being 1, FB 2 and HB 3. When the play is called in the huddle, if they want to run being the HB to run between the center and the left guard, they would make a call something like a "31 dive". That's kind of a simplistic explanation but hope that helps answer your question.
  11. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

One thing that make "tackle" confusing is there are both offensive tackles and defensive tackles.

On offense a tackle, (who is not allowed to tackle it would result in a holding or unsportsmanlike flag) are the two positions on the OUTSIDE of offensive line.

On defense a tackle are the one or two positions on the INSIDE of the defensive line.

Really makes absolutely no sense.
  12. jays52

jays52 Rookie

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0

#91 Jersey

A nickel situation is where you need five defensive backs to cover the personnel package that the offense puts out. The nickel is commonly understood to have three corners in it, but's not necessarily the case. There are three safety nickels, ect. The third corner on the field is commonly referred to in the media as the nickelback. Not because they are a horrid Canadian butt rock bad for fat middle aged women, but because they most often only come out in the nickel. The more proper reference is the slot corner or "star" (football terms are pretty simple; matchup the first letter of each word like star/slot, will/weak, ect...). The announcer was probably referring to a bad matchup for the slot corner because an outside receiver was in the slot which intentionally creates a mismatch on the typically smaller, quicker slot corners.

A and B gaps have already been explained.

Tackles vs guards. The tackle is typically much longer than guards and have better lateral quickness and feet. This is because of the island that most tackles play on against typically the most explosive rusher on the defense. They need the feet and length to get depth against speed rushers, and the height to matchup against the taller edge players of the defense. Guards are usually your most explosive linemen. They are typically shorter to assist them in the leverage battle which is 99% of football. They also are your most powerful. One play they will have to move a 330 lb defensive tackle, the next seal a linebacker, the next kickout an end or pickup a safety, the next pickup a stunt. They need to be great through the hips for power and explosion, but also quick enough to reach the second level.

Hope that was somewhat helpful.
  13. neuronet

neuronet Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Wow, great stuff guys thanks a lot, especially helpful description of the guards/tackles and their different roles on the line.

It was indeed "A Gap" and "B gap" he was talking about in the O Line, not the A slot and B slot (I thought I had screwed that up).
  14. neuronet

neuronet Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Thanks that's good to know I've heard it a few times here too and not known what the poster was talking about. Is there a term for the the space between the offensive tackles and WRs? (Edit: see two posts ahead someone already mentioned gap between tackles and TE as the C gap).
  15. neuronet

neuronet Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

That is a great explanation!

Now if folks could give such explanations of the positions on the defensive line and linebackers that they have given for the O-line I would feel like a genius. ;)

I always get confused by the different linebackers, weak/strong/left/right and the strategic reasons for going with a 3-4 versus a 4-3 defense.
  16. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

If there are three wide receivers on the field the receiver lined up between the farthest split receiver and the line of scrimmage (whether it be the tackle or tight end) is the slot receiver.
  17. neuronet

neuronet Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Ah OK, another great explanation: if there is no TE, is the space between the tackle and WR also called the C gap?
  18. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I'm confused too. I heard an announcer during the Jets-Bengals game talk about the Jets tendency to run though the A-hole. But that could be anywhere because as I looked at the Jets team out there on the field I saw eleven A-holes:confused:
  19. Dufflebagz

Dufflebagz Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, the gaps are only on the line.
  20. neuronet

neuronet Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Incidentally, I have looked for books that go over all these basics, and they are either too basic (they stop with the picture of the 4-3 versus 3-4 defense without getting into any details of the type that you guys are kindly providing), or so advanced (usually for coaches) that I have no idea what they are talking about.

I have had trouble finding a book that actually gets into the details, but is not for someone who already knows all the basics.