PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Not really OT: Derek Anderson available cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first thought a while ago was that Anderson would simply be cut, based on his cap number. But it's not really a standard contract; he gets $5 million March 15 regardless of if he gets cut now or is moved after that date.

The thing is, while he becomes attractive to many teams after that date - a former Pro Bowl QB as a backup at a cost of just $1.5 million - doesn't that same low contract make him worth keeping on the roster for the Browns, where he would be familiar with his line, receivers, and backs?

Cleveland would still need a #2 QB, and whoever they signed would cost almost as much, without that familiarity. The Browns only save $600k on the salary cap by trading him rather than keeping him, so it doesn't really make a lot of sense for them to move him.

Browns analysis: As draft approaches, Anderson's value may rise for suitors - Cleveland Browns football NFL News - cleveland.com

I think if they only get a 3rd rounder, they're stupid to ship him! They only save $600,000?!!! What's the point? They still are gonna need a backup. Great for TB, awful for Cleveland. I say it doesn't happen. TB is still in the running for Cassel.

Rumor: Could Browns ship Anderson to Buccaneers? - Sports Rumors - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Rumor says a 3rd rounder gets Derek Anderson.
Rumor further says TB is interested.

The first rumor sounds more solid IMO.

If the concern is that a guy like Anderson could deflate the market for Cassel... or is even an example of what could happen if Cassel blocks a trade this year and takes the $15 million this year so he can go into free agency next year in a potential uncapped year, without teams being required to give up any draft picks, I think its an apples to oranges comparison.

I think the Browns did err in not trading Anderson last season.

They then played him and he played erratically and was injured.

Cassel showed steady progress and some signficant leadership as well as an ability to actually put togehter game winning drives - and he's still getting better!

And while Cassel might indeed decide that he can get the most money by refusing a trade, taking the $15 million this year plus $25 million or more next season when no team would be required to trade for him - he's looking at a much lower risk sitting on the bench behind Brady (i.e. little chance of injury and little chance of needing to play and showing some erratic play).

So I don't see Anderson's situation as relevant at all - aside from the fact that instead of 10 teams in search of a QB, there will only be 9 potentially vying for Cassel - but we knew that was going to happen regardless.

its that chump mangini trying to mess with potential trade value for cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey