PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Not playing your players late in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelL

Rookie
Reaction score
Here's my thoughts on not playing your players late in the season if you are up 13-0.

I think it's a big mistake. In fact, I will go further and say that I think that's the reason why the Colts lost in 2004. Think about it, everyone is pushing to get to the playoffs and to be at their playing peak, and you spend 5 weeks not playing a real game? What do you think is going to happen?

Say you take weeks 14-17 off, then being a high seed, you get the playoff bye. You come back and play in the 2nd round and your guys haven't played serious football in 5-6 weeks when everyone else is in playoff mode?

I think the risk of your whole team playing poorly for a half(like the Colts in 2004) outweighs the risk of injuries. I mean if the team is that great, then blowout your opponents and rest your guys in the 4th quarter. Don't sit them out.

What do you guys think?

Here's my thoughts on not playing your players late in the season if you are up 13-0.

I think it's a big mistake. In fact, I will go further and say that I think that's the reason why the Colts lost in 2004. Think about it, everyone is pushing to get to the playoffs and to be at their playing peak, and you spend 5 weeks not playing a real game? What do you think is going to happen?

Say you take weeks 14-17 off, then being a high seed, you get the playoff bye. You come back and play in the 2nd round and your guys haven't played serious football in 5-6 weeks when everyone else is in playoff mode?

I think the risk of your whole team playing poorly for a half(like the Colts in 2004) outweighs the risk of injuries. I mean if the team is that great, then blowout your opponents and rest your guys in the 4th quarter. Don't sit them out.

What do you guys think?

not looking too far ahead but BB doesnt rest his players. We played the titans at full strength last season in a meaningless game .sure rodney got hurt but BB wont change his mind. very least expect all starters to play 3 quarters. Thats just his way. I remember him being asked about this in 2004 or sometime and he said "its football season. So we want to play football.Players wouldnt want it any other way"

What do you guys think?

To be fair, I believe that the Colts had lost to San Diego that year. While they were playing San Diego they were playing hard and not sitting any players...I do not recall if they had had home field yet but I don't think so. It wasn't until after that loss that they started sitting players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back