PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Not Many Key Patriot Free Agents In 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I presume that the team will pick up the options on Hightower and Collins. I also presume long-term contract being in place for Solder and McCourty.
========
There are many critical decisions to be made in these last two weeks of the 2014-2015 season. Next year, not so much. Of course, some of these players may not even be here.

FREE AGENTS
Blount
Dennard
Ebner
Hooman
Wendell
Wilson

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (who almost never are lost)
Allen
Develin
Kline
Siliga
Tyms
===========
There will be the usual cap issues to consider. For example, we would like to extend Hightower and Jones. And, we again will NOT have a lot to spend on free agency. Blount is the only player that is even close to critical on the list.

Last edited:
Great news! I do think that it's difficult to project without knowing what will happen with certain guys like McCourty (I believe he'll be tagged myself), Ridley, etc---but it's looking like it may be a nice year in terms of not having to re-sign many of "our" own.

I presume that the team will pick up the options on Hightower and Collins. I also presume long-term contract being in place for Solder and McCourty.
========
There are many critical decisions to be made in these last two weeks of the 2014-2015 season. Next year, not so much. Of course, some of these players may not even be here.

FREE AGENTS
Blount
Dennard
Ebner
Hooman
Wendell
Wilson

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (who almost never are lost)
Allen
Develin
Kline
Siliga
Tyms
===========
There will be the usual cap issues to consider. For example, we would like to extend Hightower and Collins. And, we again will NOT have a lot to spend on free agency. Blount is the only player that is even close to critical on the list.
Collins doesn't have an option because he was a second round pick. Chandler Jones and Hightower both will need their options picked up.

Collins doesn't have an option because he was a second round pick. Chandler Jones and Hightower both will need their options picked up.
thank you
fixed

I would like to get Wendell back cause he is cheap and can back up 3 spots well. More than worth keeping around.

I agree. Wendell is the perfect Game Day backup. I would expect us to keep either Wendell or Connolly in 2016. Of course, many posters said that in 2013, again in 2014, and as we get into training Camp, we'll here the mantra again.

I would like to get Wendell back cause he is cheap and can back up 3 spots well. More than worth keeping around.
We'll see how the two top guards we draft this year work out.

But the long term status of Jones, Hightower and Collins will all need to be addressed by 2017 at the latest. And Solder by 2016 if he isn't signed to a long term deal sooner. That's 4 really big contracts, in addition to McCourty and Revis this year.

But the long term status of Jones, Hightower and Collins will all need to be addressed by 2017 at the latest. And Solder by 2016 if he isn't signed to a long term deal sooner. That's 4 really big contracts, in addition to McCourty and Revis this year.
I'd love to keep all of these guys but really I think they will end up keeping two of those four, maybe three. That's why I think the pats might target a LB in this draft

I think this is just the way it is in today's salary cap NFL, although I'm certainly not meaning to minimize your overall point about the importance of some key players coming up in the next couple of years.

I doubt that all of these key players can be kept, so all we can do is hope for the best. At least Belichick is well versed in this area, and we know that he's been looking ahead.

I think this is just the way it is in today's salary cap NFL, although I'm certainly not meaning to minimize your overall point about the importance of some key players coming up in the next couple of years.

I doubt that all of these key players can be kept, so all we can do is hope for the best. At least Belichick is well versed in this area, and we know that he's been looking ahead.

I can't say that we're spoiled really, but being on this incredible B&B run makes most things easier. Even free agency is relaxing.

In Bill We Trust

The cap will be over 150m in 2016. We need to sign McCourt and extend Revis. Load up and go for three straight!!

The cap will be over 150m in 2016. We need to sign McCourt and extend Revis. Load up and go for three straight!!

I hope they keep both...but as long as they keep Revis..i can live with letting Mccourty go even though i would still hate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back