PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Not high on Greenway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyredeemer

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Look, I know alot of people on this board are high on the idea of drafting Chad Greenway from Iowa. Alot of people also like to compare him to Mike Vrabel, but I personally don't see it.
After watching several videos (which I admit isnt the whole of a player) I came away with the feeling that Greenway didn't know how to properly lay a hit. Everytime he tackled someone, he always dove at their legs to take them down. Sure his motor is 110% at all times, but at over 240 lbs. came off as looking a bit weak to me. Now I have just read on PFT.com that Greenway only bench pressed 225 lbs. 16 times. Everyone likes to talk about the dissapointing showing of Lendale White's strength but come on....only 16 times.
The guy is supposed to be huge and yet he was outlifted by Jeremy Bloom?
I just dont quite get how he is a first round prospect. He can be as fast as he wants, but if he doesnt have the strength to get by an OT in this league, or even break the block of a decent HB then he isn't going to do much of anything. Who else is out there at LB that the pats could pick up in the later rounds that u guys like?
Also, i know we all keep talking about RB, or LB or DB in the first round. But, does any1 else get the feeling that we could go o-line again? If so, who's out there that would fit our system?

I'm sorry, but the combine and pre-draft workouts are very helpful in showing a players true strength. And playing OLB in the 3-4, strength is very important. Do u know where i can see anymore video feeds of Greenway, possibly some of him not actually being an ankle biter??

You are right, and that's the negative(s) on him. Not physical, either taking on blocks or making tackles. And his lifting numbers were not impressive. However, he is the most natural athlete of the LB and can cover in space and cover a LB better than any of them in this draft. This all adds up to why I see us taking Carpenter but Greenway's athleticism intrigues me, figuring that being physical could maybe be learned more than natural athleticism.

I would love to pick up Carpenter, that guy is a great player. The only thing that bothers me though is do we have to use a 1st round pick on him or do we take the risk that we draft someone else in the first round then trade up in the 2nd to grab him??? Either way, this draft os sure to be worth watching.

holyredeemer said:
I would love to pick up Carpenter, that guy is a great player. The only thing that bothers me though is do we have to use a 1st round pick on him or do we take the risk that we draft someone else in the first round then trade up in the 2nd to grab him???
We'd have to trade up quite a bit to get Carpenter from our second pick. More likely, I think, would be trading down with the Colts for them to get Maroney (although I think he'll be gone by #21) and getting Carpenter after a small trade down.

that would be a good scenario. after all this draft is pretty deep. id be cool with that.

I'm convinced neither Carpenter nor Greenway projects as an OLB in the Pats system. Both would be relocated inside, and Vrabel would move back outside.

where's the ouija board?

holyredeemer said:
that would be a good scenario. after all this draft is pretty deep. id be cool with that.
the more i read and think about this draft, the more i think about logan mankins, the more i'm convinced that i have no clue whatsoever about what BB/SP will do.
there are the standard characteristics of a patriots draftee, 1-7: smart, tough, a little mean, team leader, coachable. sometimes good motor.
i come up with "who can step in and start for us this year, and who won't cost us too much money?"
whoever that is is likely to be our new guy.

Ochmed Jones said:
I'm convinced neither Carpenter nor Greenway projects as an OLB in the Pats system. Both would be relocated inside, and Vrabel would move back outside.
Really ? Can you expand on that ? Both players have repuations for not being strong at fighting off blockers. I would love to get Vrabel outside if a suitable ILB can be found.

being a 1st year starter is not necessarily a requisite for the pats, look at Ty Warren, Daniel Graham, Ben Watson, and Vince Wilfork, none of them started even half of the games in their first year, the only two to have significant starting time as rookies were Mankins and Seymour

ilduce06410 said:
the more i read and think about this draft, the more i think about logan mankins, the more i'm convinced that i have no clue whatsoever about what BB/SP will do.
The pick of Mankins should show us how strongly Belioli draft for need. I didn't predict it, for sure, but in hindsight with Andruzzi gone, a Guard was a natural need fit. 2005:Mankins :: 2006:LB :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back