Welcome to PatsFans.com

Not getting a true feeling about samuel?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by bradybunch, Feb 16, 2007.

1. bradybunch

bradybunch Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

not sure if everyone here is happy or not but I for one am stoked and very excited that he will be back and hope they will sign him long term he has earned his money and he is a key to our defense.
  2. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +419 / 5 / -6

#75 Jersey

Hate to say it, but I think he's going to be traded.
  3. BigMike

BigMike PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The Patriots just sent out the following statement from coach Bill Belichick after the team placed the franchise tag on Asante Samuel:

"Asante Samuel is an outstanding player who has been a consistent contributor for us for several years. We hope Asante remains a Patriot for many seasons to come."
  4. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I'm just happy they should get some type of compensation for him whether it's a draft pick or Asante himself
  5. Triple-T

Triple-T Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I hope we keep him. With him on board, all we need to do is fix the linebackers and our D dominates. If we lose him, we risk putting a Duane Starks in his place.

That would blow.

Bona fide.
  6. PatsSteve1

PatsSteve1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, it's not like they just franchised Champ Bailey at CB.
  7. Brady to Brown

Brady to Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Great post. Asante earned his salary in 2006. He could be T.Law part 2.
  8. pats63

pats63 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It is all about control....I hope Asante stay,but if we have to trade it works out for all parties....I guess this was a no-brainer....Asante is not going to hold out like Meion...
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +187 / 7 / -23

I agree and right now the Pats have the upper hand, if he plays under the franchise tag he has to continue to play well because he is still playing for the contract, holding out will do nothing but make him worth less, and the trade value is still there.. but, I do not believe that the Pats will pay him 7.79 Million this year, it does not fit into their philosophy or salary structure.
  10. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

If they can get him for 5-6 mill per season, fine. Otherwise, trade him. It's a bit premature, IMO, to be "glad he's coming back." This is just part of the negotiation, and a smart, if obvious, strategy by the Patriots.
  11. sieglo

sieglo Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I like it because it forces him to play in 2007 like it's a contract year.
  12. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 13 / -8

I think this is a long way from done.
    I put the chances of him playing the 2007 season under the tag very low.
    The Pats will work tosing an extension. There is a new advantage to an extension---with 7.7 mill counting against the cap now, any extension will open up more cap room for 07.
    I used to think the attitude of tag him, he has to play held true, but after Branch, among many other cases in the NFL, it has become apparent that players who do not like their contracts DO have leverage, and can force the issue.
    One big difference here. Branch was sitting out at the cost of his rookie contract (dont remember, but I think he was making something like 1.5mill for 06) Samuel would risk losing almost 8 mill to play the same game.

IMO, there are one of 2 things going on here:
    1) The Pats tagging Samuel is a sign that BB has a very high opinion of him, and a deal will get done, and their value on Samuel is consistent with the market, or
    2) The Pats want nothing to do with paying the kind of $$ Asante wants, so the tagged him to trade him and get something instead of nothing.

My instinct is its the first, but I simply am guessing.
  13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

AndyJohnson, I definitely hear you... my gut is saying, "oh wow, look about the nice things BB said about keeping him long term. Hmmm." But my brain is saying "Yeah right, and Tom Brady has had a hurt shoulder since 2001."

PFnV
  14. PatsSteve1

PatsSteve1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

1) The Pats tagging Samuel is a sign that BB has a very high opinion of him, and a deal will get done, and their value on Samuel is consistent with the market, or
    2) The Pats want nothing to do with paying the kind of $$ Asante wants, so the tagged him to trade him and get something instead of nothing.

* Considering they tagged Tebucky Jones it's hard to read what their up to. I don't think they thought that highly of him but didn't want to lose him for nothing. Assante is a better player than Tbucks for sure.
  15. frankiesfly

frankiesfly Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Im happy. Its just that in my mind i always knew they were going to keep him.