Welcome to PatsFans.com

Not D, not R, just the "right thing to do"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Mar 9, 2012.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

Really interesting campaign called Kony2012.

Basic premise: The time is now to get Joseph Kony, very bad bad guy in Africa. Raises armies of children via abduction, forces them to kill & mutilate, makes the girls sex slaves, blah blah blah. Forget our politics: Dems and Republicans agree. Youtube Kony2012 to find details, or google the guy (or at this point, the viral campaign about the guy.)

Now that said:

1) I am sure one reaction (as I saw one self-satisfied guy say on a reaction video) is "wah I hate people pointing out something terrible that's not in America while there are bad things happening right here." Yeah okay, valid reaction in a way -- but as the film-maker points out "OMG, if I saw this even 1 night in America it would be on the cover of Newsweek," so if you ask me, also a valid point. It's a matter of the prevalence of horror - so yes there was a rape and a murder in your town last night, but we have very strong institutions here to make them less prevalent and pretty good institutions to go after the perps... which is why people seem to be going for the international criminal.

2) Yes, looks like the people in the vids involved in the campaign are really, really white in the crowd shots. Okay. Looks to be a white-heavy movement. (also loaded toward the youth end, but it's a social media thing too.)

3) I'm sure there's at least one knucklehead who's pro- war criminal on here. That's really not an interesting reaction, although you may think you're out of the box with that thinking.

"What about..." (your favorite international criminal) is sort of a useless response. The fact that you know his name, and not Kony's (unless you've already seen the publicity) is the point.

So -- just spreading the word

PFnV
  2. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

I'm not hip to what's going on, and I'm a little busy to look around for it, but what is meant by "get"?

Kill? Arrest? Either?

I've got a feeling the first is probably the only way to "get" him, but it's an interesting idea. Perhaps more important than Kony is highlighting the fact that this stuff is not all that uncommon over there.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

FOX is spinning the funding of the org, as they are raking in profits.

Inside The Books Of The Charity Behind Viral "Kony 2012" Video | Fox News

Ironic to some extent.

Putting all of that aside, this is a benchmark moment, and should scare the ever loving crap out of those who control the media (thus the scare tactic from FOX and other media outlets, that are themselves.....controlled)

Nothing frightens the people in power more than the thought of the majority of people who they want to control, are actually out of their control.

I started a thread on this a few days ago: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/12/902453-kony-2012-a.html

3 replies....

I applaud the out of the box thinking of the filmmaker, to spread the word, to make this guy famous. When you look at the list of criminals wanted by the international court, this dude is #1. Quadaffi was in the 20s.
  4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

They're going for this lonnnnng chain of causation:

- keep pressure on U.S. politicians of both sides (Imhoff the Repub. is big in the film, & Obama did take action, so looks like nobody is actually FOR this azz clown)

- Keep U.S. presence in sub-saharan Africa (training/advising role); keep U.S. pressure on Ugandan gubmit to continue manhunt

- Phrased as "bring him to justice" and "arrest" and that sort of thing, but yanno what? I'm okay with the bullet-thru-the-eye scenario too.

- Movement expires Dec. 2012 - as in "get him this year."

Which if you think about it, makes sense - after all the whole world gets Mayan-long-count-fu(ked on Dec. 21, and it's only fair we get him before that.