Norm Chow on NFL radio this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

signbabybrady

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
They asked him about Cassell obviously.

Basically said he was a real good athlete 6'4' 220 (at least he was 220 with him) and that he was excited to see him finally get his chance and that he really deserved it.

Mentioned how he thought it took charector to stick it out at USC even though his job was given to Leinart.

But what I found best about the interview was his comments on the Patriots drafting him. He said he was really mad that we took him and that he had convinced the Titans to sign him as a UDFA and Cassell knew it too. He didn't think he would be drafted as he was sending out practice film to NFL teams because there wasn't game film. But what is key is that this was his Offensive coordinator with USC and he thuoght enough of Cassell that he had convinced Fisher another good talent evaluator to sign him.

We might just have the best kept secret of the last 9 years (not really that far ahead of myself just thought it was a funny line).

Just playing devil's advocate here but Chow also wanted them to draft Leinart. He was right about NOT drafting Young, but not so much so about drafting Leinart instead.

Did he have anything to say about Young?

Just playing devil's advocate here but Chow also wanted them to draft Leinart. He was right about NOT drafting Young, but not so much so about drafting Leinart instead.
Sometimes it's "where you go". There's no way to know how Leinart would have done had he gone to Tennessee.

Sometimes it's "where you go". There's no way to know how Leinart would have done had he gone to Tennessee.

Oh I agree. But would Leinart have been better in Tennessee with Chow and no receivers than he's been in Arizona with 2 stud receivers? It's an interesting question, but I'm inclined to think that not playing well and not being dedicated in Arizona, even throwing to Fitz and Boldin, show us a lot about the real Leinart.

Oh I agree. But would Leinart have been better in Tennessee with Chow and no receivers than he's been in Arizona with 2 stud receivers? It's an interesting question, but I'm inclined to think that not playing well and not being dedicated in Arizona, even throwing to Fitz and Boldin, show us a lot about the real Leinart.

Better O-line might have meant no shoulder damage. Its all relative.

My point in bringing up that Chow wanted Cassel wasn't to get into the what if questions but more just that his job is to evaluate, coach and coordinate offensive players and he could have easily said this guy couldn't start for me in college why would he in the pros but he thought enough of him that he had a job for him.

it is somewhat funny that all the media outlets are scrambling to get scouting report of guy starting next week for the pats by interviewing all these guys because there is no game tape of him :)

Not a huge point, but it's Cassel (one L). He's our guy now, might as well start spelling his name right :D

People are still spelling it MerRiweather. Good luck.

How curious....

1. Couldn't beat Palmer for the starting job.

2. Lost his job to Matt Leinart.

3. Never started in college, yet drafted by the Patriots.

4. Liked by his former offensive coordinator (obvious affection).

5. Survived the last few years of roster cuts.

6. Looked good in game 1, but horrible all presesaon.

Basically, there is nothing definitive I can take away about this guy until the I see him play more. Leinart isn't even starting in week two but his back up from USC is. He had a better showing in game 1 than Palmer had. That alone makes me think Bill is a good coach and Scott is a great judge of talent/maturity.

Totally random, but it is criminal that no college or NFL team has ever offered Norm Chow a head coaching job. The guy is a brilliant offensive mind and has coached more HOF QB's than anyone.

I'm sure he has been offered some form of college or Pro head coaching job, they were probably much worse situations than the O-Coordinator for USC, UCLA and the Titans... I think I'd rather be a OC at one of those places than Head Coach at an embarrasment like Oakland or some no-name college

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back